Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A Philadelphia doctor has been convicted of the first-degree murders of three babies delivered and killed with scissors in late-term abortions.

Dr Kermit Gosnell, 72, was acquitted on another charge of killing a fourth baby, who let out a whimper before he cut its neck, prosecutors said.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22518979

So what do you think, TSR?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't know. I'm against abortions personally, but pro choice. I.e. I'd never talk a girl into having an abortion but I'd support her right to have one.

what gets me is with the ease of access to contraception these days why are abortions still needed.

but the pro choice have a decent argument. You'll never stop back street snortions so best to keep it legit e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    A Philadelphia doctor has been convicted of the first-degree murders of three babies delivered and killed with scissors in late-term abortions.

Dr Kermit Gosnell, 72, was acquitted on another charge of killing a fourth baby, who let out a whimper before he cut its neck, prosecutors said.

I think the 'let out a whimper' line and what they obviously tried to insinuate with it is ridiculous and offensive. Yet again, American courtrooms look like a total circus.

ReputationRep:
    As a committed pro-lifer, he should most definitely NOT face the death penalty, otherwise the entire argument is a farce.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The trial heard how Gosnell would deliver babies alive then use scissors to "snip" - as he referred to it - their spines.

There are some messed up people out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The trial heard how Gosnell would deliver babies alive then use scissors to "snip" - as he referred to it - their spines.

There are some messed up people out there.
    Yup, and I can't believe he's using the race card as his defense

ReputationRep:

That is one sick mother****er. I'm not against abortions but that is...beyond words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    That is one sick mother****er. I'm not against abortions but that is...beyond words.
    And he is so defenceless that he's using the racism card :rolleyes:. So, do you think the death penalty is warranted in cases like these?

ReputationRep:
    absolutely ****ed up. I am fine with abortions in principle, but there is a line where it goes from destroying an unfeeling lump of flesh to murdering a baby, and he was not even close to that line.

ReputationRep:
    And he is so defenceless that he's using the racism card :rolleyes:.
    Yeah that's pathetic.

So, do you think the death penalty is warranted in cases like these?
    Generally speaking I'm against the death penalty and in order to remain consistent I remain so even in this case, however if his guy were to meet an untimely and slow and painful death I wouldn't shed a tear or lose any sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's murder by their law. What else is there to say...

Thankfully, the Americans take a more reasonable view of what constitutes punishment than Europeans. He'll get what he deserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc92)
    As a committed pro-lifer, he should most definitely NOT face the death penalty, otherwise the entire argument is a farce.
    Errrr.. no its not. You're equating the life of an innocent child to that of a murderer?

The child has commited no crime. He on the otherhand has taken other lifes and so has forfeited his life.

Your argument would be like someone saying im Pro-freedom therefore no criminal should go to prison. Its wrong to imprison innocent people but not criminals, just like it's wrong to take the life of an innocent child but not the life of a convicted murderer.

ReputationRep:
    And he is so defenceless that he's using the racism card :rolleyes:. So, do you think the death penalty is warranted in cases like these?
    Indeed, shallow and pathetic little man. But no, I don't advocate the death penalty, otherwise we stoop to his level, as disgusting as he is.

ReputationRep:
    The irony of the American pro-lifers who will be pursuing the death penalty for this guy...

That aside, what he did was totally unprofessional and abusive - it's not just about the abortions, it's about the fact that it was an illegal operation, carried out in an unhygenic and dirty environment without trained staff. There's also the fact that a refugee died in his clinic from a sedative overdose. It's just indefensible really.

ReputationRep:
    This is so messed up that I don't even know where the jury started sorting it out. Feel so much for those poor women and their children. However, I do think it's very true that this is a result of what happens when abortions are limited - these women wanted to end their pregnancies, they were poor and mostly from ethnic backgrounds (some, including the adult woman who died, were refugees) and they could only access this. If you limit women's access to safe and hygienic healthcare, including abortion, then this type of thing will happen. Obviously I am in no way excusing this man's actions, he's a monster, but it certainly plays on my mind.

"Instead of encouraging more restrictions on reproductive rights, Hogue said, the Gosnell trial should serve as a warning about the consequences of denying women access to safe and affordable abortion care.
    "This is exactly what happens when you place undue restrictions and you try to shame women to keep them from exercising their constitutional right to safe and legal abortions," Hogue told The Huffington Post in an interview. "You make them victims to people like Gosnell, because in their desperation they’ll turn anywhere. You want to drive people like Gosnell out of business? Then you actually support medical facilities and the right of women to safe and legal abortion."
    "

via http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3071797.html

ReputationRep:

What do I think?

"The trial heard how Gosnell would deliver babies alive then use scissors to "snip" - as he referred to it - their spines" So, this "doctor" sworn "first to do no harm"delivers living and breathing children into the world before snipping their spines?

Lock him up and throw the key away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What do I think?

"The trial heard how Gosnell would deliver babies alive then use scissors to "snip" - as he referred to it - their spines" So, this "doctor" sworn "first to do no harm"delivers living and breathing children into the world before snipping their spines?

Lock him up and throw the key away.
    And given that he's 72, there's no telling how many foetuses he would have killed in such a manner :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)
    Errrr.. no its not. You're equating the life of an innocent child to that of a murderer?

The child has commited no crime. He on the otherhand has taken other lifes and so has forfeited his life.

Your argument would be like someone saying im Pro-freedom therefore no criminal should go to prison. Its wrong to imprison innocent people but not criminals, just like it's wrong to take the life of an innocent child but not the life of a convicted murderer.
    I believe that all human life is important and that no one, whatever crimes they've committed, is a lost cause. The right to life is the most fundamental right, from which all others stem, and except in self-defence, we have no right to take any other person's life.

ReputationRep:
    And given that he's 72, there's no telling how many foetuses he would have killed in such a manner :mad:
    To be picky, if they're delivered alive and breathing, I'm not sure they're called foetuses anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    To be picky, if they're delivered alive and breathing, I'm not sure they're called foetuses anymore.
    Indeed you're right! I think they are called babies which would render this so-called doctor a mass murderer.

Lock him up. For good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.