Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I live in a block of around 30 people however, I cannot take living with the boys anymore. It isn't the fact they basically steal everything from out kitchen its because of their lack of respect for women.

One boy acts like it is his god given right that a women should clean up after him. Often making food in the kitchen and declaring he doesn't have to clean up it is our (the girls) job. Another boy stated he only had respect for a girl as it was his friend's girlfriend. .

I know people have different views but that is beyond a joke. The same boy also stated he would hit a girl if they disrespected him. He demands so much respect but demonstrates so little to women.

I am finding it really difficult to comprehend and to live with.

Any advice?

p.s I apologise for my rant

ReputationRep:
    There's not much you can do other than ignore them.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Moved to Family, friends and work. Also if there are any further unhelpful or nasty comments, they will get removed, bullying is not tolerated on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I live in a block of around 30 people however, I cannot take living with the boys anymore. It isn't the fact they basically steal everything from out kitchen its because of their lack of respect for women.

One boy acts like it is his god given right that a women should clean up after him. Often making food in the kitchen and declaring he doesn't have to clean up it is our (the girls) job. Another boy stated he only had respect for a girl as it was his friend's girlfriend. .

I know people have different views but that is beyond a joke. The same boy also stated he would hit a girl if they disrespected him. He demands so much respect but demonstrates so little to women.

Any advice?

Complain to the accommodation people . It is a strong possibility that you might loose your deposit on your room due to them :/.

ReputationRep:
    That really sucks, but to be honest it's their own problem. Sometimes in a community like your 30-people uni group, it becomes acceptable to go against certain common morals, because they don't get punished for it, and the majority of people think it's funny and harmless. In this way, they might actually end up gaining some people's respect because they seem humorous and carefree. If you make it clear that you're offended, they'll laugh it off and say it's a joke no big deal, women are meant for the kitchen blah blah, and you'll feel even worse.

A simlar example is when someone on TSR asks a serious question, and people make witty and insulting comments. These insults would not be acceptable in a different situation, but on TSR, 'funny' insults can get +rep. If you rage back at them, they'll neg you more and put you down more.

Thing is, unless they personally dislike you, they don't aim to offend you, they are just willing to offend you if it means people they admire will laugh at their jokes. With a real life situation that's their own problem really. Someone might laugh at your jokes and think you're cool, that might make you feel good. But it takes something additional if you want them to be there for you when you need a friend, or keep in touch with you when you move out.

If it gets really bad all you need to do is make a witty joke back at one of them, implying they have the smallest penis in the room. Even if they're hung like a horse it'll knock them down a peg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orthonym)
    If you rage back at them, they'll neg you more and put you down more.
    No they won't, you can only neg someone once and then there's a set period before you can do it again, I'm sure exactly how many other people they have to rep before they can do you again but they definitely can't do it twice in at least a day, if you're getting repeated negs then it's more than one person doing it.

Anyway OP chin up the year's nearly over and then you won't be living with them anymore, just don't let him get to you and it'll be over in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    No they won't, you can only neg someone once and then there's a set period before you can do it again, I'm sure exactly how many other people they have to rep before they can do you again but they definitely can't do it twice in at least a day, if you're getting repeated negs then it's more than one person doing it.
    I agree, no one's gonna insult you if they think they're gonna be the only one doing it. Multiple negs come from the people who think the insult was witty or cool.

ReputationRep:
    One boy acts like it is his god given right that a women should clean up after him. Often making food in the kitchen and declaring he doesn't have to clean up it is our (the girls) job. [...] The same boy also stated he would hit a girl if they disrespected him. He demands so much respect but demonstrates so little to women.
    Never mind him. He will never have a girlfriend/wife. He's just insecure or hates women because he's been rejected so many times.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

This must be so irritating. I am assuming that you are at uni - you don't say.

You should have a warden or someone more senior in charge. You need to report this.

I would take photos of the mess for the record and also keep a diary - just for a short while

These lads sound thoroughly repulsive - and I would guess have not long left home. It is all bravado and posturing. You are all having to live together and they have to learn that this behaviour is totally unacceptable.

Referring to the size of their genitals is a pointless and childish exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)

Anyway OP chin up the year's nearly over and then you won't be living with them anymore, just don't let him get to you and it'll be over in a few weeks.
    Actually one of the quirks of TSR is that people get severely negged for complaining about being negged. Not by the same person obviously, but by those who would rub salt in the wound.

ReputationRep:
    Broken society

ReputationRep:
    Could you not talk to the accommodation office? Of course, tell them first and if they persist, then well say that you really really don't like what they're saying, and if they continue, go to the accommodation office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace Ten)
    Actually one of the quirks of TSR is that people get severely negged for complaining about being negged. Not by the same person obviously, but by those who would rub salt in the wound.
    First rule of fight club..

ReputationRep:
    Put his dirty dishes in his room

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You live with retarded people. I live in a group of block of flats, and in my flat there are four boys. They're a little messy but they have to clean their own messes up.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

That's really annoying. I lived with 7 boys in first year and had no problems like that. They put their crap in one sink, I and the tidier boys put ours in another. Everyone was happy.

Talk to your accommodation office or rep. They may be able to move you. And/or your welfare officer/dean of students. They can give you advice no one on TSR is trained to be able to give you.

Alternative is to ignore them. Retaliating will be fruitless in this case because they'll feed off it. Just don't let them attack you personally. Then you should retaliate. Don't take ****.

They're just immature little boys inside. Blerg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace Ten)
    omg why i negged for this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    First rule of fight club..
    I'd say the retarded exchange of thumb-downs and childish quips is the closest most TSR users will ever get to a fight. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about accidentally pushing the *******s out the window? I know I would. People like that infuriate me.

ReputationRep:
    You're stuck with some really crap people! There must be some form of complaints service against people like that? Surely it would account for some form of bullying, right?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.