Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did M1 go for everyone? Personally I found it more difficult compared to previous years. So how did you all do?

ReputationRep:
    I found 1-5 fairly standard.
    6 onwards was fairly hard.

EDIT:
    That question involving force T and block 2kg NEARLY caught me off guard because the angle was raised to 30 degrees and the force T was at angle alpha.
    Good thing was you get at least 2 marks for simply putting Fr max = Mu(r) and the values of Sin and Cos.
    You should get another 2 marks for working out R - Half the marks already

2 marks for resolving horozontilly.

The last 2 marks for rearranging and then solving.

HATED the 15m long beam question!

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a tough paper.

The impulse question was decent: (a) 9Ns and (b) m=2

I got 390N as the answer to part (b) to the woman on the elevator question, I think I got 7800N to part (a) for the Tension

The tension for the friction one was something like 15.5N

For the lorry and AB=240 question, I think (a) I got u=14m/s and (b) the acceleration was 2m/s/s and (c) the time for it to get to the midpoint was 6 seconds.

The motorbike one (a) the graph was pretty easy, I can't remember which part it was, but the time that they met was 50seconds - this was because the car travelled 0.5(30)(22) = 330m in the first 30 seconds and at t where they met, 22t to get to 990m. Therefore 22t=990-330, t=30. 30+30 = 60 (this is the time is took for the car to get to that point). The motorbike left 10 seconds later so 60-10 = 50seconds. The acceleration of the bike was 0.792ms^-2

In the moments question the child's mass was 25kg and he was sitting 6m from A. The part (b) was 7.5m for AX. That question was tough - bloody child couldn't sit still!

I know t = 0.5 and 2/3 for the vectors ones.

The last one was reasonable, (a) acceleration = 5.88ms^-2, (b) T=11.76m, (c) 16.6mN acting 45degrees under the table.
    I know T was 11.76m (or 1.2mg) to find the magnitude you just use pythagoras or 2Tcos45. I think I may have dropped a mark by missing out m when giving the magnitude of the force in the very last part. I think I got 0.4mg for the acceleration (3.92m/s/s) on part (a)

Other than that I'm really happy with how I did (considering how tough it was), hopefully you all did well as well

I reckon the grade boundaries will be quite low, probably about 71 for full UMS. Probably mid to low 50s for an A and mid 40s for a B. However this is complete speculation and could be entirely wrong so don't hold me to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I reckon the grade boundaries will be quite low, probably about 71 for full UMS. Probably mid to low 50s for an A and mid 40s for a B. However this is complete speculation and could be entirely wrong so don't hold me to it.
    Edexcel are NEVER that nice in the grade boundaries! :mad:

"The motorbike one (a) the graph was pretty easy, I can't remember which part it was, but the time that they met was 50seconds - this was because the car travelled 0.5(30)(22) = 330m in the first 30 seconds and at t where they met, 22t to get to 990m. Therefore 22t=990-330, t=30. 30+30 = 60 (this is the time is took for the car to get to that point). The motorbike left 10 seconds later so 60-10 = 50seconds."

I did all of that except, I forgot to do add the extra 30 and deduct 10! DX

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, Giant, did you get an answer of acceleration of something like 11/45 in the paper somewhere?
    I remember getting this but can't remember for what. =l

I then used that to answer a question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Oh yeah, Giant, did you get an answer of acceleration of something like 11/45 in the paper somewhere?

Nope, sorry You should still get method marks for the second question I think though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)

I got 390N as the answer to part (b) to the woman on the elevator question, I think I got 7800N to part (a) for the Tension

For the lorry and AB=240 question, I think (a) I got u=14m/s and (b) the acceleration was 2m/s/s and (c) the time for it to get to the midpoint was 6 seconds.

The motorbike one (a) the graph was pretty easy, I can't remember which part it was, but the time that they met was 50seconds - this was because the car travelled 0.5(30)(22) = 330m in the first 30 seconds and at t where they met, 22t to get to 990m. Therefore 22t=990-330, t=30. 30+30 = 60 (this is the time is took for the car to get to that point). The motorbike left 10 seconds later so 60-10 = 50seconds.

In the moments question the child's mass was 25kg and he was sitting 6m from A. The part (b) was 7.5m for AX. That question was tough - bloody child couldn't sit still!

The last one was reasonable, (a) acceleration = 3.92 seconds, (b) T=11.76m, (c) 16.6mN acting 45degrees under the table.
    I know T was 11.76m (or 1.2mg) to find the magnitude you just use pythagoras. It was acting 45degrees under the table. I think I may have dropped a mark by missing out m when giving the magnitude of the force in the very last part. I think I got 0.4mg for the acceleration (3.92m/s/s) on part (a)

Other than that I'm really happy with how I did (considering how tough it was), hopefully you all did well as well

PS. I remember getting an acceleration of 0.792 somewhere, hopefully someone could remind me where :P I got an answer of 5.88, but again, can't remember where it was.

Yes mate!!! I got 15.5N as well, the moments question was horrid but I got it in the end. I got the mass of the beam as 25kg

ReputationRep:
    You know when is the unofficial mark scheme is up??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)

The motorbike one (a) the graph was pretty easy, I can't remember which part it was, but the time that they met was 50seconds - this was because the car travelled 0.5(30)(22) = 330m in the first 30 seconds and at t where they met, 22t to get to 990m. Therefore 22t=990-330, t=30. 30+30 = 60 (this is the time is took for the car to get to that point). The motorbike left 10 seconds later so 60-10 = 50seconds.

The last one was reasonable, (a) acceleration = 3.92 seconds, (b) T=11.76m, (c) 16.6mN acting 45degrees under the table.
    I know T was 11.76m (or 1.2mg) to find the magnitude you just use pythagoras. It was acting 45degrees under the table. I think I may have dropped a mark by missing out m when giving the magnitude of the force in the very last part. I think I got 0.4mg for the acceleration (3.92m/s/s) on part (a)

PS. I remember getting an acceleration of 0.792 somewhere, hopefully someone could remind me where :P I got an answer of 5.88, but again, can't remember where it was.

For the acceleration of 0.792, I think it was for the acceleration of the bike (the last part of the graph question). And I got the acceleration of the last question as 5.88.

ReputationRep:
    There is already a thread for this:- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2343677

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsupa)
    For the acceleration of 0.792, I think it was for the acceleration of the bike (the last part of the graph question). And I got the acceleration of the last question as 5.88.
    Thanks I've edited it

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries for m1 is always high....guys..suppose the grade boundary is 66 out of 75....then what will be the scaling like? i mean..if i get 50,then they are gonna convert it to 44? right??

At 80%,it comes 60 out of 75..but if grade boundary is 66 out of 75...means 6 marks will be deducted from the original marks we get,is it???

Guys..what do u think? This paper was a typical one like jan 13 or harder?

ReputationRep:
    Urm u do realise there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stupid girl)
    The grade boundaries for m1 is always high....guys..suppose the grade boundary is 66 out of 75....then what will be the scaling like? i mean..if i get 50,then they are gonna convert it to 44? right??

At 80%,it comes 60 out of 75..but if grade boundary is 66 out of 75...means 6 marks will be deducted from the original marks we get,is it???

Guys..what do u think? This paper was a typical one like jan 13 or harder?
    It's hard because jan 13 did have a tough resolving and vector question whilst this ones moments question was very tough. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 59-63 for an A

Missing out the moments question would bring anyone instantly down to 61 on the assumption they got everything else right

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's so annoying it was fourteen marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsupa)
    i got that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)

Yeah I got that for the acceleration of the Bike or something in either question 4 or 5, can't remember exactly. Looking through this and the other thread, seems to be wrong though.

Thought it was an incredibly challenging paper, the Moments question was by some distance the hardest I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    scarily easy, only question that required a bit of thinking was the moments, (vectors was a joke which is normally the question people lost marks on), think i lost 1 mark for saying into the plane (lol??) on the last question. What was i thinking >.<

ReputationRep:
    That last question was beautiful, I knew exactly what to do to find tension and acceleration, then part C in my mine I'm like WTF! is this? Everything else was ok except for 3 I literally did like 100 resolving questions and I don't know how the hell I got that wrong I got 6.9 but yeah I did put down f = mr and I did resolve r to the right answer so yay 4 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Arsey has uploaded solutions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.