The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Dominic101
M1 is just the basics if you need to work hard for it I'd pick a different A-Level

Yeah I did foundation physics at GCSE the closest I got to mechanics was s=vt... It took me some time to catch up

And who the hell are you to say that? Because I got 63/75 I should just take some other subject I don't like? Maths is my passion and I want to do maths at university, I will learn from my mistakes and try score higher in S2/FP1. Your advice is ****ing terrible if I'm honest, I already struggle with history so why would I do another subject like that.
Original post by Robbie242
Yeah I did foundation physics at GCSE the closest I got to mechanics was s=vt... It took me some time to catch up

And who the hell are you to say that? Because I got 63/75 I should just take some other subject I don't like? Maths is my passion and I want to do maths at university, I will learn from my mistakes and try score higher in S2/FP1. Your advice is ****ing terrible if I'm honest, I already struggle with history so why would I do another subject like that.

Im just saying it seem like its a struggle for you im just looking out for you buddy
Reply 342
Im just saying it seem like its a struggle for you im just looking out for you buddy

It wasn't a struggle before the exam it was just a slip up in the exam, 63/75 is not something that should instantly say you can't do an alevel. Something worse like 30/75 then I'd be severely concerned
It wasn't a struggle before the exam it was just a slip up in the exam, 63/75 is not something that should instantly say you can't do an alevel. Something worse like 30/75 then I'd be severely concerned

I found M1 harder to score 70+ in than C1- C4. Don't really know why? I just hate mechanics I guess. :smile:

M1 is just the basics if you need to work hard for it I'd pick a different A-Level

Your advice stinks.
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought the vector question was standard, moments however and suvat were not. Pretty much everyone apart from me and 1 person did extremely badly in the exam

ion vector
I thought it was very easy too, but it has never come up before. Normally the vector questions are about position vectors involving ships, and many students would have been expecting the position vector questions to come up rather than the question which we got.
Original post by gandanmo
hey bro! i needed to ask for question1, i wrote N instead of Ns for the unuts for magnitude of impulse would i lose a mark? thanks i advance

No, I highly doubt they'll deduct a mark for that. I think they only look for units when they specifically ask for them, i.e stating the units in your answer etc..
Reply 346
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I found M1 harder to score 70+ in than C1- C4. Don't really know why? I just hate mechanics I guess. :smile:

Your advice stinks.

Yeah I gotta agree (although I haven't done anything beyond C1 yet) M1 is generally harder in the exam then at home for some reason, I like mechanics but my mind wasn't fully focused so I slipped up majorly on suvat and the lift
Its safe to say I have completely failed this exam, the only consolation is that I got the first question right... and maybe the Car and Motorcycle one. Looks like im not getting a maths A - Level
Original post by Titus20
lol i'm not trying to start an argument i'm just saying if you think this paper was 56/75 for an A then you've got some sort of problem, sorry if that's offended you

Look, that's just my opinion. We don't know maybe the grade boundaries are significantly higher or lower than 56 for an A. Respect peoples opinions. Don't always go around in life thinking you're right, or you will learn your lesson one day mate.
Reply 349
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
Look, that's just my opinion. We don't know maybe the grade boundaries are significantly higher or lower than 56 for an A. Respect peoples opinions. Don't always go around in life thinking you're right, or you will learn your lesson one day mate.

i am right it won't be 56/75 for an A. arsey himself said it was an easy paper.
Original post by ju s ti ce
if I used a pencil to draw the graph, would it be scanned and taken into account . My teachers said no, i am so worried. Please Reply this , thanks

I did that in January and got all the marks, don't worry you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 351
Q6ai HELP:

I messed up the start of this question so much i couldn't come to a reasonable answer. I tried to use simultaneous equations but i must have gone wrong somewhere. In the end i guessed an answer so that i could go onto the next part of the question. The value i guessed was 20kg, instead of 25.

I used the correct method in the next parts but obviously i won't get the accuracy marks. Can anyone guess what kind of marks i'll get / lose for this? Thanks
Original post by Fitzy258
Q6ai HELP:

I messed up the start of this question so much i couldn't come to a reasonable answer. I tried to use simultaneous equations but i must have gone wrong somewhere. In the end i guessed an answer so that i could go onto the next part of the question. The value i guessed was 20kg, instead of 25.

I used the correct method in the next parts but obviously i won't get the accuracy marks. Can anyone guess what kind of marks i'll get / lose for this? Thanks

If you did the correct method....you will get all the method marks.
However, if you got the wrong answers, you will lose all the accuracy marks.

Out of 14, I would say you would lose around 6....but don't take my word for it. It really depends on the mark scheme and what you wrote.
Reply 353
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If you did the correct method....you will get all the method marks.
However, if you got the wrong answers, you will lose all the accuracy marks.

Out of 14, I would say you would lose around 6....but don't take my word for it. It really depends on the mark scheme and what you wrote.

Ok cheers, that's better than what i was thinking :biggrin: This is the 3rd time i've sat this exam...all i need is 85 UMS and i'm always just under :s-smilie:

Thanks buddy
Reply 354
Original post by Fitzy258
Q6ai HELP:

Exactly what I did, If they do allow ecf/ft marks then it should be about 8 marks lost. You will get all m1 but no A1 marks I think.
Hi guys. I'm doing maths and further maths so I took one year intensive maths during my AS and messed up this exam(probably a low C or a high D:frown: ) . If I get all As in my other subjects and also As in my other maths modules and then resit this one next summer,do I still have a chance to get an offer from a good university such as university of Edinburgh or I really should stop hoping ?
Original post by komalkhan
am I the only one who thought it was reeeaaally hard :|..

No..trust me ur not..another one is here..but I think for most,the paper was easy
Reply 357
Original post by adi19956
Arsey is a maths teacher of many years. Teachers get copies of the exam papers as well as us. I assume he just did it whilst his students were sitting the exam

he would do this after the exam as edexcel is a worldwide board, he would do his answers and post this after sufficent time has passed. though there were 2 different papers for some odd reason
Reply 358
Original post by Mollylondon
Hi guys. I'm doing maths and further maths so I took one year intensive maths during my AS and messed up this exam(probably a low C or a high D:frown: ) . If I get all As in my other subjects and also As in my other maths modules and then resit this one next summer,do I still have a chance to get an offer from a good university such as university of Edinburgh or I really should stop hoping ?

Are you sure your other maths exams won't pull up your UMS to something respectable?
Reply 359
Original post by adi19956
Arsey is a maths teacher of many years. Teachers get copies of the exam papers as well as us. I assume he just did it whilst his students were sitting the exam

Unfortunately, I can now only get my paws on them once the exam is over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending