Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm about to finish my BioMed undergrad. I have the option of going straight onto a masters after my third year (place guaranteed at top uni) but it'll be in science. I don't wish to have a career as a researcher. Closest would be science marketing or writing. I think my interests lie better in ITand marketing so my other option is to take 1 year out and apply for a masters in either of those subjects for the next year. Catch is I potentially waste 1 year of my life and do a masters at a lower rated uni (entry requirements are very low for undergrads wishing to go straight for masters at my uni).

Wondered if anyone had some advice or maybe have been in this situation before?

ReputationRep:
    Another factor to consider is potential burnout. Would you feel comfortable to carry on studying immediately, or might you need a break? I went straight from undergrad to Masters as I felt I 'd built up momentum and that a year out would mean a slow start. However many of my colleagues have taken a year out as a refresher and a chance to build up some savings.

I found that my Masters was very full-on compared to my undergrad, so if you feel yourself flagging at the moment it's worth taking into account.

ReputationRep:
    I would take a year out if I could. Don't see it as a waste - get a job, save money and have a break! If science communication is what you're interested in, it makes sense to pursue that as a Masters rather than feeling pressured to do one at your uni just because it's offered on a plate, as it were.

ReputationRep:
    Take at least one year out.

Many people make the mistake of thinking a Masters will make them 'more employable'. Aside from some very specific vocational areas, it doesnt. You will still be a fresh young graduate with no experience. Employers don't want endless bits of paper, they want some evidence that you can do the job. So my advice is, apply for entry-level jobs that use your degree but point you towards marketing/communication etc, and/or do relevant voluntary work or internships for a year - then think about where you are at, and if doing a Masters is still worthwhile or if you can do what you want to do 'from there'.

Examples : http://www.at-bristol.org.uk/volunteer.html AND http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/jobs-v...ps/?Intranet=0 AND http://www.indeed.co.uk/Mad-Science-jobs

If the Masters degree being offered is not related to what you want to do, then the year out sounds like a better choice.

However, I think the nature of the year out should be considered just as carefully. For instance, if you decide to work, avoid getting just any old job. Try hard to get a job/internship that is related in some way to the career you want. Or, if there's some way you can travel while being productive e.g. volunteering so you can develop soft skills, then do that.

To put it simply, if you're not in formal education, make sure you're still getting some other relevant real-world experience.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.