Turn on thread page Beta

Chelsea F.C vs S.L Benfica, Europa League Final 2013 watch

ReputationRep:

Amsterdam Arena
    19:45, 15th May 2013
    Europa League Final

Chelsea enter this game with the chance to become the 4th club in history to win the Cup Winners Cup, the Champions League and the Europa League. This remains their last chance of silverware from the possibility of eight at the start of the season.

Benfica will be reeling from a defeat to rivals Porto at the weekend, ending their domestic unbeaten run and potentially losing the Primeira Liga. They also, will be fighting for their first Europa League title.

The two clubs last played each other in last seasons Champions League Quarter Finals, with Chelsea winning both legs 0-1 and 2-1.

Team News

Chelsea

- John Terry (ankle) and Eden Hazard (hamstring) both out
    - Frank Lampard set to captain the side
    - Demba Ba cup tied, Fernando Torres certain to start

Benfica

- No injury worries
    - Defender Andre Almeida expected to be fit

ReputationRep:
    Cech
    Azpilicueta Ivanovic Luiz A.Cole
    Ramires Lampard
    Oscar Mata Moses
    Torres

Unless Luiz is played in midfield, then Cahill at CB and Ramires out? But I think Ramires will start.

ReputationRep:
    Hope you guys win, need a British club to win a major European competition, it might not be the CL but it's no micky mouse cup as people suggest. Just as last year in Munich, everyone at OT is behind you!! COYB

ReputationRep:
    Eden Hazard ruled out. Big blow.

ReputationRep:
    Think we should with

Cech
    Azpi Cahill Ivanovic Cole

Rami Luiz
    Lampard

Mata Oscar
    Torres

Mata and Oscar interchanging across the line behind Torres. Would be dissapointed with Moses starting as he's crap in the big games, but I wouldn't put it past Rafa seeing as he's almost completely incapable of changing formation.

ReputationRep:
    Moses isn't a patch on Hazard, big loss. But I reckon Luiz and Mata will drag you through it. 2-1 Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    The whole team has travelled to Amsterdam, even Demba Ba. Reckon we should be able to win it although I hope we don't underestimate Benfica. Hazard being injured is a major blow.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans saying that sending Wigan down is as good as winning a trophy are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, a match thread.

Benfica fan here... pessimistic about our chances tomorrow. Chelsea are a far superior side and I really can't see us winning this. Especially not after these last few matches where we have been quite unconvincing..

Benfica team news to add is that Maxi Pereira, who is usually our main rightback, is suspended. Andre Almeida has pretty much played every Europa League match at rightback though, so Maxi's absense should not be too noticable... however, our leftback (Melgarejo) is prone to defensive lapses, and I think this would have been a perfect match to keep Melgarejo on the bench and play Maxi on the right and Almeida on the left (Almeida is - usually - solid defensively).

Other than that it should be full strength, but the lineup will really depend on how the manager wants to play this. If he thinks we can play our game against Chelsea, expect the following:

----------------------Artur-------------------------
    Almeida---Luisao-----Garay--Melgarejo
    ------------Enzo Perez--Matic---------------
    Salvio------------------------------------Gaitan
    ---------------Lima---------Cardozo-----------

But if the manager thinks that our priority should be to stop Chelsea, and look to play on the counter, then expect something like this:

----------------------Artur-------------------------
    Almeida---Luisao-----Garay--Melgarejo
    ------------Enzo Perez--Matic---------------
    Salvio------------Gaitan------------Ola John
    --------------------Cardozo-----------------------

Our manager does have a tendency to sometimes "invent" and throw in some random player in the starting 11. Like how Aimar started against Fenerbahce despite not having played much football all season. As long as he keeps to the script and plays the strongest available team, it should be something like the two lineups above.

Keep an eye on Matic folks.. if he has a decent game (and hopefully if he isn't tired or emotionally broken after that Porto match), he'll be dominating the midfield... definitely one of the best players we've had in recent years (thanks Chelsea!).

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to the game. Annoyingly though, it's the same night as our club awards evening. Ill most likely be watching both simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    John Terry didn't train today, he's ruled out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God Terry's ruled out, he's passed it.

Luiz is a lazy liability and I'd be happy to see him benched for Cahill and Ivanovic both at CB, Azpilicueta and Cole at WB.

Then it'll be standard Ramires & Frank in CM and Oscar, Mata, Moses in AM and Torres upfront.

Will be furious if we don't win this. Not qualifying for CL was embarrassing enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm a much bigger fan of Luiz in midfield, he's too risky when he plays at CB. Not having Terry fit isn't really a disaster, as far as I'm concerned Ivanovic and Cahill are just fine. Their midfield is absolutely class, that's where the biggest threat is. 3-2 Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    id like chelsea to win... but I just have a gut feeling that they wont, and in the big game, the cracks between players/manager/fans etc, will show.. and they will fail to play their best.. and benfica will win in a fairly uneventful 2-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    id like chelsea to win... but I just have a gut feeling that they wont, and. in the big game, the cracks between players/manager/fans etc, will show.and they will fail to play their best.. and benfica will win in a fairly uneventful 2-1
    Yeah because that's what happened in Munich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Thank God Terry's ruled out, he's passed it.

Luiz is a lazy liability and I'd be happy to see him benched for Cahill and Ivanovic both at CB, Azpilicueta and Cole at WB.

Then it'll be standard Ramires & Frank in CM and Oscar, Mata, Moses in AM and Torres upfront.

Will be furious if we don't win this. Not qualifying for CL was embarrassing enough.
    Luiz has been on great form . It's Cahill who has been poor lately.

Would have been very confident ahead of this match had Hazard been fit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared just thinking about Rodrigo/Gaitan/Matic... especially if our defence slips up. Hopefully it'll be one of Gaitan's bad days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I'm scared just thinking about Rodrigo/Gaitan/Matic... especially if our defence slips up. Hopefully it'll be one of Gaitan's bad days.
    Rodrigo won't play. At least I hope he doesn't. Gaitan/Matic, yes.. they might cause you some problems.

Edit; Well, **** me, Rodrigo IS playing..

ReputationRep:
    Nice contrast in shirt colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Not to mention the likes of Cardozo, Salvio & Lima as well, did we make a mistake in selling Matic as apparently he's been very impressive for Benfica this season :erm:

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.