Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody tell me if guinea pigs need a mineral supplimant in their diet? Im pretty sure they do. My mates have got one and it keeps licking everything in sight. They think its cute and say that it is attracted to the salt, thats why he licks everything. I believe it is a pica (nutrient defficiency related behaviour), and that he is seeking out the minerals lacking in his diet. When I suggested a mineral lick for the guinea pig they looked at me as if I was crazy. Can anybody shed some light on this situation please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Can anybody tell me if guinea pigs need a mineral supplimant in their diet? Im pretty sure they do. My mates have got one and it keeps licking everything in sight. They think its cute and say that it is attracted to the salt, thats why he licks everything. I believe it is a pica (nutrient defficiency related behaviour), and that he is seeking out the minerals lacking in his diet. When I suggested a mineral lick for the guinea pig they looked at me as if I was crazy. Can anybody shed some light on this situation please.
    Hope this helps

http://guinealynx.info/nutrition.html

ReputationRep:
    I bred and exhibited cavies for over five years and was a juvenile panel judge to the largest association in the country. Im also hoping to become a vet this year and would say that the main things that they can be short of is Vitamin C. Ive not heard of them ever requiring a mineral lick as such but you should try and give a good diet which incorporates everything they need. The best dry foods out there are Gerty Guinea and Supa Guinea (orange bag) - these have been specially formulated for guinea pigs and should meet the requirments that they need. This should be supplemented with good forage material such as hay and grass and other greens, carrots etc. Dont over feed them with lettuce as this can cause problems with them and you may see that they have some diarohheoa(sp?!)...

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.