Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woman commits suicide blaming government's 'bedroom tax'. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thought we could maybe have another go at this one, found the other thread quite eye opening. Please do try and keep it respecful.

A grandmother who killed herself left a note in which she blamed the Government for her death.

Just days before she died Stephanie Bottrill, 53, from in Solihull in the West Midlands, told neighbours she simply could not afford to live any more.

Her family told the Sunday People she was tortured about how she would afford the £20 extra a week for the two under-occupied bedrooms in her home - money she owed because of the Government's spare room subsidy policy, the so-called "bedroom tax".

Ms Bottrill died in the early hours of May 4.

In a letter to her son Steven, 27, she said: "Don't blame yourself for me ending my life. The only people to blame are the Government."

He told the newspaper: "I couldn't believe it. She said not to blame ourselves, it was the Government and what they were doing that caused her to do it.

"She was fine before the bedroom tax. It was dreamt up in London, by people in offices and big houses.

"They have no idea the effect it has on people like my mum."

In the days before she died Ms Bottrill told her son she was struggling to cope, and told neighbours: "I can't afford to live any more."

Ms Bottrill had already packed up the belongings in her house in Meriden Drive, the Sunday People said.

Her son said she was distraught at having to leave the home she had lived in for 18 years, where she had raised two children as a single mother.

He said: "She didn't want to go but she knew she had to. She couldn't afford to stay. It was too hard."

Ms Bottrill lived in her three-bedroom home on her own after her two children moved out, leaving her with a 25% reduction in her housing benefit for two rooms, the Sunday People said.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8612647.html

No doubt some of you as many in the press and government seem to be doing will attempt to lessen the blame on government 'reforms' by labelling this poor woman as mentally unwell and lacking the proper will power. Well this to me seems even worse, why are we putting the mentally ill under more and more financial pressure, then demonising them and simultaneously pushing through huge cuts in mental health spending leading to a massive problem of bed shortages? We now seem to expect all mentally ill patients to have a family that are able to provide long term care for their mentally ill relatives, but we will also demonise those same family members as scroungers the second they struggle to juggle a work life with life as a full time carer.

I realise it maybe hard for some of you to understand the mental state of someone so desperate they commit suicide. Its only natural that some will question her reasoning, you're quite right it doesn't make sense to someone of sound mind, but clearly she wasn't of sound mind, so do try and remember this before you question her reasoning.

No doubt i'll be attacked as i have already as using this tragic death for some kind of partisan motives, this is simply not true, i have seen first-hand the kind of treatment mentally ill patients can expect and its truely sickening. I'm afraid we will see more and more of this kind of thing, it really is inevitable with the kind of 'reforms' being pushed through.

ReputationRep:
    10 hours to be approved? Whats the issue?

ReputationRep:
    It was bound to happen. The government was told time and time again that this ridiculous policy would leave some in dire straights. They just don't seem to care, and instead carry on with their agenda of demonising the poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Thought we could maybe have another go at this one, found the other thread quite eye opening. Please do try and keep it respecful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8612647.html

No doubt some of you as many in the press and government seem to be doing will attempt to lessen the blame on government 'reforms' by labelling this poor woman as mentally unwell and lacking the proper will power. Well this to me seems even worse, why are we putting the mentally ill under more and more financial pressure, then demonising them and simultaneously pushing through huge cuts in mental health spending leading to a massive problem of bed shortages? We now seem to expect all mentally ill patients to have a family and a family that are able to provide long term care for their mentally i'll relatives, but we will also demonise those same family members as scroungers the second they struggle to juggle a work life with life as a full time carer.

I realise it maybe hard for some of you to understand the mental state of someone so desperate they commit suicide. Its only natural that some will question her reasoning, you're quite right it doesn't make sense to someone of sound mind, but clearly she wasn't of sound mind, so do try and remember this before you question her reasoning.

No doubt i'll be attacked as i have already as using this tragic death for some kind of partisan motives, this is simply not true, i have seen first-hand the kind of treatment mentally ill patients can expect and its truely sickening. I'm afraid we will see more and more of this kind of thing, it really is inevitable with the kind of 'reforms' being pushed through.

For the sake of those with mental health issues, provided the family permitted it, I wouldn't mind someone using this for the purpose of promoting awareness of depression and suicide.

However, I would not be happy with people using her death as a political weapon against bedroom tax. Not that I involve myself with that aspect of politics, but it would be incredibly inconsiderate to her family to exploit a tragedy to gain political leverage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    However, I would not be happy with people using her death as a political weapon against bedroom tax. Not that I involve myself with that aspect of politics, but it would be incredibly inconsiderate to her family to exploit a tragedy to gain political leverage.
    So what you're saying is that not wanting to see more cases like this is really just trying to gain political leverage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    So what you're saying is that not wanting to see more cases like this is really just trying to gain political leverage?
    No, I never said that at all. I specifically said that not wanting to see more cases pertains to the loss of an individual, not politics. You seemed to have deliberately missed that out when you quoted me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    It was bound to happen. The government was told time and time again that this ridiculous policy would leave some in dire straights. They just don't seem to care, and instead carry on with their agenda of demonising the poor.
    Amazingly is wasn't any of teh vunerable members of society that everybody claimed would eb effected, that committed suicide. It was a 53 year old woman, not registered as disabled who was living by herself in a three bedroom house.

Sad as it is, I have more sympathy for the lorry driver she traumatised with her ultimate act of selfishness.

What next? Shall we start threatening to kill ourselves unless the government pays for a 3 month backpacking trip od South East Asia for everybody?

She had issues elsewhere obviously/

1) She was offered alternative accomodation. She chose not to take it.

2) Her kids could've financially helped her out, if not they could have moved back in with her or got her to move in with them.

3) She had options to take in a lodger.

4) She hardly made a go of it as these changes only kicked in a few weeks back.

Sad, Yes. But this is a none story, time to carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    10 hours to be approved? Whats the issue?
    The site's moderated by volunteers. We don't have 24x7 coverage and aim to approve threads as soon as is practicable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    No, I never said that at all. I specifically said that not wanting to see more cases pertains to the loss of an individual, not politics. You seemed to have deliberately missed that out when you quoted me.
    You've deliberately tried to limit the scope of what we are allowed to discuss before you will dismiss it as political leveraging, but with the 'reforms' being pushed through it is inevitable we will see more of these cases.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like darwinian economics to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    What next? Shall we start threatening to kill ourselves unless the government pays for a 3 month backpacking trip od South East Asia for everybody?
    A ridiculous argument. There is quite a difference to the challenges people now face due to the government's approach to welfare and the bizarre scenario you describe.

Despite your other comments, my original point stands - the consequences of this policy were known. It is a completely reckless policy which should not have even got off the drawing board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    A ridiculous argument. There is quite a difference to the challenges people now face due to the government's approach to welfare and the bizarre scenario you describe.

Despite your other comments, my original point stands - the consequences of this policy were known. It is a completely reckless policy which should not have even got off the drawing board.
    Not really. A holiday is a want, not a need. A single person being paid to live in a three bedroom house by themselves is a want, not a need. The need was met when alternative accommodation was offered to her. She chose to act in a selfish manner and potentially destroy the life of an innocent lorry driver who has to live with that event for the rest of his/her life.

ReputationRep:
    What happened in the last thread that caused it to be closed?

As for the matter at hand, she was offered alternative accomadation and chose not to take it. How anyone can blame the government for someone choosing to kill themselves rather than moving six miles away beggars belief. This will probably sound harsh, but frankly I have little sympathy for people who have such a weak will to survive and overcome adversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    What happened in the last thread that caused it to be closed?

As for the matter at hand, she was offered alternative accomadation and chose not to take it. How anyone can blame the government for someone choosing to kill themselves rather than moving six miles away beggars belief. This will probably sound harsh, but frankly I have little sympathy for people who have such a weak will to survive and overcome adversity.

Its not that your being harsh, it's that your being negligent. She may well of had other problems going on within her life that drove her to such decision.

This itself is a point : She likely was driven to suicide not over the loss of 80 quid but other factors that were most likely long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    For the sake of those with mental health issues, provided the family permitted it, I wouldn't mind someone using this for the purpose of promoting awareness of depression and suicide.

Quite ironic how in the US, whenever there's a shooting, people start raging on about the right to bear arms :rolleyes:

Back on topic, what I don't understand is why she (and other who are against the bedroom tax) was living in such a big house if she couldn't afford it? Why not move to a 1 or 2 bed house, more suitable for her needs, whilst being cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Quite ironic how in the US, whenever there's a shooting, people start raging on about the right to bear arms :rolleyes:

Back on topic, what I don't understand is why she (and other who are against the bedroom tax) was living in such a big house if she couldn't afford it? Why not move to a 1 or 2 bed house, more suitable for her needs, whilst being cheaper?
    The option was given to her to move into a smaller house. She decided to throw the ultimate tantrum because she didn't want to move.

Anybody else seen kids hold their breath until they pass out wanting to get what they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Its not that your being harsh, it's that your being negligent. She may well of had other problems going on within her life that drove her to such decision.

This itself is a point : She likely was driven to suicide not over the loss of 80 quid but other factors that were most likely long term.
    Maybe would have could have possibly...

I can only form my opinion on the facts that are presented to me. If there were other factors involved then I may possibly change my position, but as it stands, things as they are, with the 'bedroom tax' being blamed for her suicide, my positions is as it is.

(Original post by Kiss)
    She left a suicide note stating explicitly that was the reason she committed suicide. I think she would want her death to raise awareness and as a 'political weapon' so that it wasn't in vain. Wouldn't that be so much worse?

ReputationRep:
    Really? My mother is the same age as her, and she thought she'd make a martyrdom out of the situation?

ReputationRep:
    The bedroom tax means pay for your spare rooms or move to a house which has less bedrooms...i am assuming the grandmother didn't want to move to a different council house?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.