Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    POST-MORTEM: AQA Biology B2

Not too bad in my opinion... Nothing that I really thought I'd answered completely wrong, so that's good.

Favourite question?

I'm having trouble remembering most of the exam. I was pretty much flat out throughout. I found the last question extremely satisfying once I'd finally worked out what to write, so I guess it's that.

Hardest question?

Like I said - nothing that really threw me, but again, the last question was pretty tricky to interpret.

How do you think you did?
    At least an A, I hope. Could have done slightly more revision, but Daft Punk helped out on the procrastination front...

Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    I found some of the questions fairly easily, but many quite hard I struggled with the HEXA one as there is NOTHING about protein synthesis in the specification! What did you put for the number of chromosomes in a nerve cell? I assumed it was 46, but just hope i was right!

ReputationRep:
    I put 46 as well. I got a damn migraine in the exam so completely screwed up the Question 8. What did you guys put for the last two questions on the paper. The one where it asked what suggests the species are ancestors and then the other about why the offspring could not reproduce?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's good- I just googled it and it came up with that to Poor thing- you could try and claim special consideration? That was another really hard one which I had actually forgotten about! I think I put because each gamete would have a different combination of chromosomes, and so the pairs would not match up. Which enzymes did you talk about for the 6 marker?

ReputationRep:
    I just talked about lipase turning lipids into fatty acids and glycerol and how lipase was released from the pancreas and the small intestine. Also, how bile is released from the liver, stored in the gall bladder and sprayed onto fat in the stomach to neutralise the acid and to emulsify the fat droplets.

For the quadrat question, what did you put for the estimate? I put 7. And then it said calculate the percentage and I think I put either 24% or 26%.

ReputationRep:
    Went pretty well... the offspring could not reproduce because not all the chromosomes came in pairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathRM26)
    For the quadrat question, what did you put for the estimate? I put 7. And then it said calculate the percentage and I think I put either 24% or 26%.
    Yea... That question was a real pain... I got 10, but it seems that my friends got varying answers.
    I ended up with 40% from that, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult exam..
    Favorite question - 3 marks for for completing the blanks in the photosynthesis equation.

Worst Question - The HEXA DNA one.. not good

ReputationRep:
    Quadrant percentage would have been 28% 7 squares out of 25 is 28% (multiply 7 and 25 by 4 to get out of 100)

ReputationRep:
    okay, i probably wrote 28 then, I definitely didn't mess up that calculation. What did you put for how you estimated? I literally just counted the full squares and then added the half squares. Was there some kind of method? i thought that question was just really stupid. I hope they allow a set range for the answers and not just one number.

ReputationRep:
    GG ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathRM26)
    What did you put for how you estimated? I literally just counted the full squares and then added the half squares. Was there some kind of method? i thought that question was just really stupid. I hope they allow a set range for the answers and not just one number.
    Agreed. Most pointless question of all time.

ReputationRep:
    I got 8, most people got 7. But it will be error carried over so hopefully 1 mark lost maximum

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for question 8 and the one about the genes/DNA that don't work? I'm worried I screwed up this exam...

ReputationRep:
    I got 8 too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AQA just got dicked by the HugeBicepLAD but unfortunately or fortunately my huge biceps lead me to believe that the HEXA enzyme didnt work because the amino acids would have been coded differently so the protein would have been a different shape so the substrate would no longer fit into the active site thus my biceps.. I mean the enzyme would not work

ReputationRep:
    The answer was 7 thus 28% sorry LADs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HugeBicepLAD)
    AQA just got dicked by the HugeBicepLAD but unfortunately or fortunately my huge biceps lead me to believe that the HEXA enzyme didnt work because the amino acids would have been coded differently so the protein would have been a different shape so the substrate would no longer fit into the active site thus my biceps.. I mean the enzyme would not work
    Good answer

Remind me what question 8 was again?

ReputationRep:
    For the numbers in the box the answers were 4 then 8 and the offspring would have 8 chromosomes in the body cell

ReputationRep:
    Question 8 was on the species of flowers and their different chromosomes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.