Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what the perfect graduate would have to show on their CV? Is there a list of things employers look favourably on? Are there things that we can all go out and try to achieve before we graduate?

Personally, I would imagine a 1:1, a relevant placement and maybe a gap year travelling would be seen as favourable? Anybody else got any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Achievements/positions of responsibilities in extra-curricular.

Also, based on a few of my HR friends (not just the UK though), gap year travelling is actually unfavorable.

ReputationRep:
    Grades

Extra-curricular

Positions of responsibility

Ability to demonstrate required competences

Ability to write a good app form/cv

Ability to come across well in interview

Ability to make good relationships with people easily.

Gap year abroad stuff is so-so. Not really an advantage in itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no perfect graduate. Don't try and perfect your persona in an interview; just be yourself. It is such a cliché. but it's honestly one of the most important things in the world.

I did the same thing at uni - I looked at what employers wanted, then did the things that demonstrated specific competencies. Unfortunately, simply doing the activities doesn't make you any better or worse than a bloke who sat on his arse for 3 years, drinking beers, who's more fun and simply more intelligent. Employers want the 'best', but they want the 'best' for their job. Nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma44)
    Achievements/positions of responsibilities in extra-curricular.

Also, based on a few of my HR friends (not just the UK though), gap year travelling is actually unfavorable.
    Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamc07)

Personally, I would imagine a 1:1
    That is not a thing. In the British system only the second class is separated into divisions.

(i.e. There is no 1:1 because no 1:2.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Why's that?
    That's because the HR will 1. question your attitude towards work + whether you place work high up in your priorities, and 2. question whether you would go off travelling again in the near future.

Just to clarify, taking a gap year to travel does not mean auto-rejection, and it should be less of an issue for smaller organizations.

ReputationRep:
    A gap year may or may not help your application - or it may have no impact. Obviously if you used the year to do something relevant to work that's great. If you took a year out to work and travel before uni (or even after), it will probably have no impact on what employers think of you.

Ultimately, there's no such thing as a perfect CV - all employers will look at different things. Obviously, good grades and good experience are always helpful!

ReputationRep:
    one that works hard.

ReputationRep:
    Generally good grades, appropriate modules for career choice, good array of extra-curriculars but not too many (otherwise shows you care more about other things rather than you degree!), some committee positions, placements and skills you can bring to the job. Basically, taking every experience you have and explaining why it makes you perfect for whatever job you are applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Unfortunately, simply doing the activities doesn't make you any better or worse than a bloke who sat on his arse for 3 years, drinking beers, who's more fun and simply more intelligent. Employers want the 'best', but they want the 'best' for their job. Nothing more.
    Why so downbeat, chuck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma44)
    That's because the HR will 1. question your attitude towards work + whether you place work high up in your priorities, and 2. question whether you would go off travelling again in the near future.

Just to clarify, taking a gap year to travel does not mean auto-rejection, and it should be less of an issue for smaller organizations.
    I agree.
    I also heard once that if you are going to maths at uni, then they look unfavourably on gap years after doing your a-levels. It might only be the case for some unis, but i heard that they prefer you to go straight onto uni, as you remember most of the maths you did at a-level so find it easier, but if you went on a gap year then uni, you are likely to have forgot some of the maths stuff so are more likely to find it harder due to having forgot half the maths and having to re-learn it again.

ReputationRep:
    First / 2:1

Good uni

Relevant degree subject (where applicable)

Relevant experience

Able to demonstrate competencies through concrete examples ("I led a team when I ...")

Extra curricular activities, especially where relevant / committee positions held

No gaps on CV (if you had a gap year, what did you do?)

Clear CRB check (where relevant)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Different employers will look for different things, so there can't be a "perfect graduate". Who you know can help to make up for any imperfections though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.