Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got out of an exam today and turned on my phone, to find that somebody had accessed my email account (btinternet) and sent a number of emails to different people. The subject of the email was 'Salutations!' and the email itself just had a weird link, usually relating to Facebook or something like that. The weird thing is, my email account isn't showing these emails in the Sent folder or the Outbox. The only reason I know about it is because someone forwarded the email back to me and asked what the link was. Obviously the purpose of the email is to spread a virus.

I've changed my password but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this recently and had any idea what was going on. My computer is clean of viruses and my password hasn't been changed so I have no clue what's happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    I got out of an exam today and turned on my phone, to find that somebody had accessed my email account (btinternet) and sent a number of emails to different people. The subject of the email was 'Salutations!' and the email itself just had a weird link, usually relating to Facebook or something like that. The weird thing is, my email account isn't showing these emails in the Sent folder or the Outbox. The only reason I know about it is because someone forwarded the email back to me and asked what the link was. Obviously the purpose of the email is to spread a virus.

I've changed my password but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this recently and had any idea what was going on. My computer is clean of viruses and my password hasn't been changed so I have no clue what's happening.
    Change your secret answer?

ReputationRep:

Chances are they just spoofed your address as the from address and didn't actually get into your email account. I've seen this happen a few times and it's fairly easy for the spammers to do (and means most of the abuse goes back to an innocent person).

The advice to change your password and secret answers is always worthwhile if there's a chance they've got access to your account although in this case I doubt they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Change your secret answer?
    I have now done that, along with my password. I've also set up a mobile number and secondary email address in case anyone tries it again.

(Original post by mfaxford)
    Chances are they just spoofed your address as the from address and didn't actually get into your email account. I've seen this happen a few times and it's fairly easy for the spammers to do (and means most of the abuse goes back to an innocent person).

The advice to change your password and secret answers is always worthwhile if there's a chance they've got access to your account although in this case I doubt they have.
    Oh do you reckon? That's quite reassuring, as long as they're not on my account. I've warned everyone who I email regularly of what's happened so hopefully everyone will be safe.

Presumably the people responsible could do this again if they wanted to? Any way to stop them if so?

ReputationRep:
    Oh do you reckon? That's quite reassuring, as long as they're not on my account. I've warned everyone who I email regularly of what's happened so hopefully everyone will be safe.

Presumably the people responsible could do this again if they wanted to? Any way to stop them if so?
    There's not a lot you can do to stop it. There's some info on wikipedia about this type of spamming Wikipedia - Joe job.

The only real thing you thing you can do is use something that shows your emails are really sent from you. The correct way to do this is by using a digital signature (uses the same technology as encrypted websites but in a different way). I'm not sure that you can really do that from a webmail account and it doesn't stop anyone spoofing your address but they won't be able to include your digital signature.

ReputationRep:
    Email spoofers are so easy to use, and the only way your recipients would know that it wasn't from you is gmail (and I assume others) pop up with a phishing warning.

It's annoying, but hopefully whoever is doing it will lose interest.

ReputationRep:
    really annoying when this happens, hopefully stops soon

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.