Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend won't add me on Facebook? watch

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months, everything's been going well but he won't add me on Facebook? I've requested him but he won't accept it, saying that I'll see pictures of his ex girlfriends and get jealous or that he'll see photos on my page that will upset him. I'm not a jealous person at all so I'm not sure why he thinks this, and I've assured him that I don't have any public photos of exes. Why won't he add me?

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit peculiar. Sounds like he's the jealous type and he's projecting that onto you - saying you'll also get jealous etc etc.

How serious do you think he views your relationship? If it's casual for him that maybe a reason. If he's serious about you maybe you should explain how this is making you feel and ask for him to really explain his feelings/reasoning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd be really annoyed about this. Like why is he putting up a wall? If you've been going out 6 months, you should be past that now. It looks suspicious, like he's cheating on you, or keeping you secret or somthing. Have you met his family and close friends? You need to talk about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months, everything's been going well but he won't add me on Facebook? I've requested him but he won't accept it, saying that I'll see pictures of his ex girlfriends and get jealous or that he'll see photos on my page that will upset him. I'm not a jealous person at all so I'm not sure why he thinks this, and I've assured him that I don't have any public photos of exes. Why won't he add me?
    This seems a bit odd and you're right to be suspicious. At the end of the day it's your mind and you will know if you're the jealous type or not. If he is not hiding something he is not doing himself any favours behaving like this.
    I think you should try asking him face to face why it would be a problem and see what he says - explaining again that you would not be jealous but as you are going out surely Facebook friends is the done thing

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, he doesn't want you to see something and is hiding something from you which me harm your relationship. It cannot be about the photo of his exes because when you already know about his formers then you are not supposed to get jealous. And one think badly strikes the mind: if he has already broken up with other girls then why has he kept those pictures? Isn't he supposed to delete them. I would suggest you to take decision sensibly as it depends on how serious you are about it. If you are, then go to the depth of such issues, ensure your boyfriend is loyal enough and then invest your time in this relationship. Best wishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That does seem odd. Like if he doesn't want you to see the photos of his exes, can't he remove them or hide them from you and just accept you anyway?
    If it were me, I'd assume he must have other stuff on there that he's desperate for you not to see.

Is he generally secretive about your relationship? Do people know that you're going out?

People in my life do know that we're together, people in his don't. He says he's a 'private person'...

ReputationRep:
    People in my life do know that we're together, people in his don't. He says he's a 'private person'...
    Alarm bells. Might have to cut this one loose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ...it's facebook. presumably you talk and see each other in person? so why would you need him on facebook?

ReputationRep:
    He isn't telling people you're together and he refuses to add you on Facebook? Sounds a little bit shifty.

Seems as if he's hiding something. Ask to meet his friends and see what he says?

ReputationRep:
    Smells fishy. Sounds like he's hiding something, and that is never a good basis to build a relationship from...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why adding you as a friend would make his life any less private as you'd simply come up as a new friend on his friend's list with nothing more to tell.
    Tbh if he is that 'private', he shouldn't have Facebook to begin with. That dude definitely sounds shady... Lolololololololololol maybe he's embarrassed of you..

ReputationRep:
    He's keeping you a secret and he won't have you on his facebook?
    I think there's definitely something odd going on here, I'd confront him about it if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Something's fishy. You have friends on facebook and even people who you don't necessarily talk to. So why not your boyfriend/ girlfriend? I hope he's not hiding something. Maybe get a friend to add him and see?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's probably got pictures/something on his wall he doesn't want you to see. Get him to show you his Facebook if he won't add you from his account - but don't give him a chance to remove everything clean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would speak to him about it. It seems a bit suspicious... tell him you don't mind at all and you just want to be able to talk online sometimes. Perhaps ask someone close to you to add him and see what he does? best of luckkk!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly hiding something. As cruel as this sounds he could even be embarrassed of you.

I think the same, but I'm generally what is considered very attractive (5'3, long blonde hair, slim) and he's generally considered average - so I'm not sure why he would be embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    Is his profile private? If yes, he doesn't want other girls thinking he's in a relationship and is actively trying to get some more action, without you finding out.

If no AND his relationship status is either hidden or "it's complicated" or "single", he's using you as a pit stop till someone he's more attracted to turns up.

If he has a public profile and it says "in a relationship" then he doesn't want to make it easy for his mates to get access to your profile. Then again, only he can answer this properly........

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like he is embarrassed of you, or cheating on you. Either option isn't great really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.