Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

After going through sixth form and getting decent grades (AABC), I decided to go to university. It was sort of the "expected" thing to do - all my friends were going, and my parents wanted me to carry on as I was enjoying sixth form.

I opted to do Business Management at UWE, but swapped to do it at Cardiff as it was a more respected uni, and it also meant i could stay at home and save money. I enjoyed Business Studies in school and got an A in it, and thought I'd study it at degree level upon this. I got my place and started in September.

Initially, the first week was quite strange because its a completely different way of learning. Going from a small class room of 10 and one teacher, to a lecture theatre with sometimes up to 350/400 people to 1 lecturer was quite daunting. I knew there would be bits of the course I would like, and bits I would dislike (like anything I guess!) but now it's come to the exams it's physically draining me, and making me want to give up.

I did exams in January, just scraped a pass in two, and failed the third. This was a bit of a "wake up call" for me, and started working a bit harder through the second semester, making more notes etc. I started to lose interest at some modules, as a lot of my course is psychology and maths. I'd say 2/6 of the modules were actually what I expected.

Now the exams have started, I have 6, three hour examinations. This has massively knocked my confidence, as I find it extremely hard to perform in exams as the stress and anxiety of being in the exam hall alone makes my mind go blank. Not to mention, the exams are all 80% and 100% of modules. If one module is failed, the whole course is failed.

Anyway, the last couple of weeks of revision have made me realise I think I've made the wrong choice. I'm studying a degree because I'm good at it - and not because I enjoy it. The work is very hard (nobody said it was going to be easy - I know), however as I'm not interested in the work at all it is virtually impossible for me to direct my concentration to do any work. I had one exam yesterday which I definitely failed, and now I feel like not turning up to any more.

I'm pretty much banking on leaving university, and returning to education when I find a degree I will enjoy doing. My parents would be disappointed as doing something "enjoyable" would not be as good as doing something "impressive" or "well paid." I feel like I've let them, and myself, down massively. What I do not want to make another quick decision on what course to do next, as I did with this one, and not enjoy it again.

I've booked to see a careers advisor on Thursday, and my personal tutor to discuss whats happening next.

Does anyone else on here have any similar stories or experiences like this? I really don't know what direction I want to go in with my life, and I'm currently really miserable and stressed to the point where I don't know what to do with myself

Hope anyone can shed some light/advice, or maybe even personal experiences which are similar. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunstall)
    Hi guys

After going through sixth form and getting decent grades (AABC), I decided to go to university. It was sort of the "expected" thing to do - all my friends were going, and my parents wanted me to carry on as I was enjoying sixth form.

I opted to do Business Management at UWE, but swapped to do it at Cardiff as it was a more respected uni, and it also meant i could stay at home and save money. I enjoyed Business Studies in school and got an A in it, and thought I'd study it at degree level upon this. I got my place and started in September.

Initially, the first week was quite strange because its a completely different way of learning. Going from a small class room of 10 and one teacher, to a lecture theatre with sometimes up to 350/400 people to 1 lecturer was quite daunting. I knew there would be bits of the course I would like, and bits I would dislike (like anything I guess!) but now it's come to the exams it's physically draining me, and making me want to give up.

I did exams in January, just scraped a pass in two, and failed the third. This was a bit of a "wake up call" for me, and started working a bit harder through the second semester, making more notes etc. I started to lose interest at some modules, as a lot of my course is psychology and maths. I'd say 2/6 of the modules were actually what I expected.

Now the exams have started, I have 6, three hour examinations. This has massively knocked my confidence, as I find it extremely hard to perform in exams as the stress and anxiety of being in the exam hall alone makes my mind go blank. Not to mention, the exams are all 80% and 100% of modules. If one module is failed, the whole course is failed.

Anyway, the last couple of weeks of revision have made me realise I think I've made the wrong choice. I'm studying a degree because I'm good at it - and not because I enjoy it. The work is very hard (nobody said it was going to be easy - I know), however as I'm not interested in the work at all it is virtually impossible for me to direct my concentration to do any work. I had one exam yesterday which I definitely failed, and now I feel like not turning up to any more.

I'm pretty much banking on leaving university, and returning to education when I find a degree I will enjoy doing. My parents would be disappointed as doing something "enjoyable" would not be as good as doing something "impressive" or "well paid." I feel like I've let them, and myself, down massively. What I do not want to make another quick decision on what course to do next, as I did with this one, and not enjoy it again.

I've booked to see a careers advisor on Thursday, and my personal tutor to discuss whats happening next.

Does anyone else on here have any similar stories or experiences like this? I really don't know what direction I want to go in with my life, and I'm currently really miserable and stressed to the point where I don't know what to do with myself

Hope anyone can shed some light/advice, or maybe even personal experiences which are similar. Thanks.
    I give you my story, basically when I was in college. I scrapped 120 UCAS points in my BTEC so that was the same three E at A levels. Anyway the only subjects that I wanted to do was Computing Foundation Year/Degree so when I was applying through UCAS. I wanted to stay at home and stay in Sheffield but the only subject that I could have applied for was Engineering Foundation year. I decided to apply for that but in the end I dropped out of my place 5 days before I started since I know my maths wasn't good enough for it and my student finance was done late. So I took a gap year and decided to reapply for this year to do Computing instead.

My advice would be not to bothered to looking at university unless its the subject that you believe that you enjoy and that you can get decent employment opportunities. During this gap year, I talk to many people who have regrets going to university because it did not secure them a good job after graduating. Employers prefer people with experience, that I can assure you on. My former supervisor had First in her Business and IT degree and she struggling to find a decent job so she is stuck in retail.

Alot of people that end up doing business degree and struggle to find a good job.

Take a gap year/year off which will allow you to have a rest from education and look for a job to work in this gap year to save up some money. If you looking to go university than reapply for next year entry but research what you like to study. Gaining some work experience is essential and will only look good on your CV. If you found a job that you enjoy and decide that you want to work your up than go for it and decided to go university part time or doing it later in life as mature student.

Doing some travelling will let you enjoy some time off studying/working.
    I suggested doing IT Management for Business or Event Management, both courses are interesting.

Apart from that, don't rely on thinking that you have to go university in order to be successful. Degree is already getting devalued and only job experience will set you apart.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing something completely different like out door adventure management I had a lot of friends do that they seemed to enjoy it.

With me it was the location I really didn't feel comfortable in Portsmouth so I moved to Solent which I did feel comfortable at so how about going to UWE in stead of Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    When i was 18 i went uni and quit (still having to pay the loan and accomodation) after 3 months as i wasnt ready and was only interested in partying.. In sixth form it seems they push u to go to uni like ur never going to have another chance so students feel pressured into going even if they go to do something just for the sake of a degree, not because they really want it! Im now glad that i quit, although my parents at the time were dissapointed and i have debts to pay off i know i made the right choice. Ive done all the partying o wanted to do and im now going back to uni 4 years on and this time i know what i want and im gonna go for it good luck i hope it works out

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.