Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Arsenal Invincibles, Chelsea 04/05, Manchester United 07/08 or United 1999?

Just like to see some thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck between Chelsea 04/05 and Man Utd 07/08

ReputationRep:
    United 1999.

No doubt the Arsenal soc will be in here raving about the impressive but overrated invincibles however.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal by far, best defence, best midfield and best strikers. Thierry Henry at his best, greatest striker ever.

Invincible for 49 games, not easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Juventus were unbeaten as well, why is no one saying they are the best Serie A team of all time?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by trrr)
    Juventus were unbeaten as well, why is no one saying they are the best Serie A team of all time?
    When it was achieved in a league with a lengthy history of match fixing and corruption, it devalues the achievement somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    United 1999.

No doubt the Arsenal soc will be in here raving about the impressive but overrated invincibles however.
    Wow, hating much?

United 1999 for me. Treble, so much story and great matches along the way.

ReputationRep:
    -1999 has the best back story and such.
    - 2007/08 United was just unreal their forward options :drool:
    - Invicible's had Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Ljunberg as well as a mean back 4 great achievement
    -2004/5 Chelsea were just hard to play against, if they got that 1 goal it was pretty much certain they would win it and hold the lead.

Of the four i would say 2007/08 just because of that firepower. or Chelsea just because of how stout that team was defensively. Offensively they were not slouches either.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult, all the teams have their positives and negatives.

Man Utd in 1999 were great and won the most but they were never dominant in the league like the others.
    Arsenal in 2004 went undefeated and in the second half of the season were the best side in Premier League history. Disappointing in Europe, however.
    Chelsea in 2005 gained the most points, absolutely steamrolled the league, had an impossibly good defence and were unlucky in Europe.
    Man Utd in 2008 were probably the weakest of these teams but still had that fantastic defence and attacking trio of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo.

I'd go for Chelsea in 2005. Only lost one game all season and no team has come close to having such an impressive defence.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea 04/05 and the Invincibles were as good as each other. Between them the league champions only lost one game in 76 matches.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with United of 1999 because they played football the right way, were by far the most entertaining side of those to actually sit and watch, and constantly got people off the edge of their seats. They actually have the lowest points total of the four, but that's because football was still football back then. You'd get stuck in and go for it, surge forward and attack and if you conceed, just score more than they do. They were also the most successful English team ever, playing football like it should be played. All this tippy-tappy possession stuff and passing the ball backwards all the time that we have to suffer now puts me to sleep.

Arsenal's invincibles were a good team although they should really be called the drawables because they often held to one point rather than trying to win three. OK they didn't lose any games but they only won 26 out of 38, the third lowest number of wins for a title winner in the past decade.

Mourinho's Chelsea were like watching paint dry. I'd say the same thing about them as I say about Barcelona now. Great team, very impressive at what they did, but what they did was something I could barely sit and watch without my mind wandering onto something else.

United 07/08 were a great side but its often lost in history that the team played far superior football the previous year. We'd become the Ronaldo show in 2008, which was fun to watch but go back and watch anything from 2006/07 and you'll find its a hell of a lot more entertaining. The overall team play in 06/07 was brilliant, with Scholes and Carrick having their best season ever as the central pairing, Rooney and Saha, Larsson or Solskjaer up top linking up brilliantly, Ronaldo and Giggs either side, Rio and Vidic at the back and Neville and Evra and Van Der Sar. That's one of my favourite lineups ever. Ronaldo overshadowed the whole team in 2007/08 and we lost a little of the magic we had the year before ... but won the European Cup so its the one everyone will remember.

ReputationRep:
    Teams don't play football to entertain. The goal is to win not please the crowd

ReputationRep:
    I see Tottenham 2010 are not mentioned.....

ReputationRep:
    Invincibles-To play 38 games in the modern Premier league and go unbeaten for the whole season is the single greatest achievement in Premier league history. No one can imagine a team ever doing that again.

ReputationRep:
    I think the invincibles had about the perfect blend of physical prowess and technical finesse but I dunno if I would necessarily say they are the best of the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Teams don't play football to entertain. The goal is to win not please the crowd
    The question is which team was best, not which team is most efficient. Some of the most successful teams are not good football teams, and some of the best football teams are not successful. They're not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    The question is which team was best, not which team is most efficient. Some of the most successful teams are not good football teams, and some of the best football teams are not successful. They're not the same thing.
    Depends what you define "best" as, I personally think you also have to consider things like the level of competition these teams faced as if the standard of other clubs were lower then it's obviously easier to win.

ReputationRep:
    Best would usually mean the level of quality and consistency of both sides.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bias as **** but I think the Arsenal invincibles would destroy the others. I dont even think its close tbh.

Henry, Pires, Vieira, Ljungberg Campbell, Cole were all world class and at the time. + Bergkamp, Lehmann, Gilberto, Toure etc. Unbelievable attacking team with a power and leaders all over the pitch. People rightly rave about the offensive quality but the same defense hold the record for the longest spell without conceding a goal in the Champions League in 2005/06.

Cant understand the hate for the team. Its fashionable to say ''The Invincibles are overrated'' and I think people think there's some kind of hipster credability in it but going a season and a half unbeaten like they did was frankly unbelievable, the kind of thing that happens once every 3 generations. Of course they didnt win the CL, unluckily I would say, but they are a legendary team.

Gold EPL trophy commissioned, officially voted the best ever EPL team last year and by a panel of experts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I'd go with United of 1999 because they played football the right way, were by far the most entertaining side of those to actually sit and watch, and constantly got people off the edge of their seats. .

Did you even watch Arsenal 2002-04? If you've never seen Henry/Bergkamp/Pires going at it then I suggest you get on youtube because they were undoubtedly the most stylish team in EPL history.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.