The Student Room Group

A-Levels

Hi, I'm Scott, I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm currently in Year 12 doing my GCSE's (Year 11 for those living in England or Wales)

I am having a hard time choosing my A-Level subjects. I wish to pursue subjects which I am able to achieve high grades in, however I don't want to choose subjects which are going to limit me in the future.

I'm interested in Media and ICT, therefore I feel strongly about completing these two subjects for A-Level.

Through research, I have come across 'hard' and 'soft' subjects; with Media and ICT being soft subjects. I know it is preferred for students to have at least two 'hard' subjects in order to have a good chance at getting into university, however... 'hard' subjects such as history, sciences and mathematics do not link into my desired future career. (I wish to work in the media, ict or travel industry as of right now)

Questions:

I have completed History and Geography for GCSE ('hard' subjects) - Would having these two subjects for GCSE have any impact on my university application?

My school offers Travel and Tourism (which interests me) however that would mean completing three 'soft' subjects; however more relevant to me than mathematics, science etc. Would this be a good decision to make?

If I choose not to attend university after A-Level, would it be worth my time for me to complete A-Level subjects which are relevant to my desired future career? i.e Media, ICT and Travel & Tourism.

I am predicted a grade A in Geography, a 'hard' subject - should I complete this instead of Travel and Tourism even though Geography isn't relevant to my desired future career?

Thank you

Reply 1
Without wanting to offend anyone taking Media etc....

If you look at the people that work at the BBC, look at their qualifications and which universities they went to. Nearly no one worth knowing studied media, but nearly all of them went to top universities and studied traditional subjects.

Stephen Fry: Cambridge
Benedict Cumberbatch: Manchester
David Mitchell: Cambridge
Hugh Laurie: Cambridge

This may not be the type of career you were thinking but top jobs in the media are based not on what you know rather "who you know". Whilst that may be difficult to agree with it is true. Therefore, going back to what you were saying, if you want to get into the media, your best chance is to study traditional subjects with a hope of attending a top university.

Sorry kid, that's the way the world works.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest