Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at several sources including my teacher and all of them seem to either contradict each other directly or give a rather hazy explanation in regards to the role of ATP in muscle contraction. From what I can gather from the official textbook, the following occurs:
    One ATP molecule is used in each cycle.
    ATP binds to the myosin head AFTER the cross bridge has been broken and only releases energy for the myosin head to resume its original position.

To me this doesn't really make sense because surely energy is needed to form the cross bridge in the first place and certainly to slide the actin across? It would be helpful if someone could clarify because all the textbooks I've looked at have failed to do so.

Thanks, hope this makes sense

ReputationRep:
    think about a mouse trap.

You pay energy in to bend the spring back and 'set' the trap.

Later on the spring will be released and the trap moves. The energy for this movement comes from that stored earlier.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.