Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have a slight problem when slowing down.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Every time I slow down for a turn and move down a gear and take my foot off the clutch (just before the turn), I feel as though the car is tugging me forward, any particular reason on why that happens?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in the correct gear ? You should really be in 2nd gear if you are going round a corner

ReputationRep:
    you are going too slow for the gear that you're in, try changing down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomj45)
    Are you in the correct gear ? You should really be in 2nd gear if you are going round a corner
    Yep I usually drive around on gear 3 and when turning I go down to gear 2, any ideas as to why I feels as the the car is tugging forward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsnackpack)
    you are going too slow for the gear that you're in, try changing down
    is around 10 mph on gear 2 too slow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    10mph in 2nd sounds about right to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Yep I usually drive around on gear 3 and when turning I go down to gear 2, any ideas as to why I feels as the the car is tugging forward?
    Try raising the clutch a little slower or shift down a little later at lower RPM.

That, or learn how to heal-toe shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    id say that's just about okay, if you go a tiny bit slower you might feel the car pulling on you (as you explained)

ReputationRep:
    This will almost certainly be down to not bringing the clutch back in smoothly enough. You will get there with practice. Even if the revs were high and you slowed down too much (unlikely) if you brought the clutch in smoothly, you probably wouldn't feel a tug.

ReputationRep:
    If you leave the car in gear 2 and completely remove your foot off all the pedals the car will slow down to 10mph and then continue to travel at 10mph forever (yes I've tried this) so maybe that's what's happening when you corner.

On second thoughts, forget that. When you say "tug forwards" do you mean it lunges forward or is it a continuous pull?

ReputationRep:
    Either the gears too high (which I doubt if your in gear 2 and going about 10mph) so perhaps it's just you not being smooth with the clutch,

Do you mean you jerk occasionally?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sometimes the slight 'tugging' is unavoidable if you are at speeds of borderline 1st/2nd gear. But if the car really tugs, then you know for sure you need to shift down another gear.

ReputationRep:
    Your're releasing the clutch too fast?

ReputationRep:
    That tugging shouldn't be a cause for concern, so long as you're doing around 10 mph. 2nd gear sounds about right, or 1st if you're turning into a minor road which either has parked cars on both sides or is quite narrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Either the gears too high (which I doubt if your in gear 2 and going about 10mph) so perhaps it's just you not being smooth with the clutch,

Do you mean you jerk occasionally?
    Yeah kind of a little jerk, it's like, as soon as I change a gear down (to 2nd) and let go of the clutch (to make a turn), I feel as though the car tugs for half a second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    If you leave the car in gear 2 and completely remove your foot off all the pedals the car will slow down to 10mph and then continue to travel at 10mph forever (yes I've tried this) so maybe that's what's happening when you corner.

On second thoughts, forget that. When you say "tug forwards" do you mean it lunges forward or is it a continuous pull?
    Yep kind of a little like a half second lunge, so what do I do to rectify this problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Yep kind of a little like a half second lunge, so what do I do to rectify this problem
    If you lunge forward in your seat (i.e. the car feels like it's tugging backwards), then it sounds like you're changing down at too high a speed as well as "popping" the clutch. Your instructor should fine-tune the exact speed for the intended gear as he knows his own car best.

As for the clutch pedal, it is not a light switch that you simply flick on and off; it requires careful control, especially through the region where you feel the transmission start to "bite".

I'm surprised that your instructor hasn't already picked up on this, analysed the problem with you and consolidated some kind of remedy. Or is he one of those instructors who charges £20 just for an hour long "chat"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Yeah kind of a little jerk, it's like, as soon as I change a gear down (to 2nd) and let go of the clutch (to make a turn), I feel as though the car tugs for half a second

(Original post by Advisor)
    If you lunge forward in your seat (i.e. the car feels like it's tugging backwards), then it sounds like you're changing down at too high a speed as well as "popping" the clutch. Your instructor should fine-tune the exact speed for the intended gear as he knows his own car best.

As for the clutch pedal, it is not a light switch that you simply flick on and off; it requires careful control, especially through the region where you feel the transmission start to "bite".

I'm surprised that your instructor hasn't already picked up on this, analysed the problem with you and consolidated some kind of remedy. Or is he one of those instructors who charges £20 just for an hour long "chat"?
    What Advisor said.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I can't believe this was simply a case of the OP going too fast for the gear he was in lol. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)

So basically, slow down a bit more and let go of the clutch much slower?And yeah he's not the best of instructors but I think it's a bit too late to change now, other than this problem I think I'm a good enough driver to pass my test, was just wondering why it's happening though, thanks for the advice though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.