The Student Room Group

CIA Agent Found In Moscow

An alleged CIA agent has been briefly detained in Moscow for allegedly trying to recruit a Russian intelligence officer, Russian media report.

He was held overnight before being released to US officials, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said.

Photos have emerged of the man, said to be an employee of the US embassy, being held face down on the ground.

The US ambassador to Moscow, Michael McFaul, has been summoned to the Russian foreign ministry.

The alleged spy, named as Ryan Fogle, is said to be third political secretary at the US embassy. There was no comment from the embassy.

The agent was reportedly arrested with a large sum of money, technical devices and written instructions for the agent he had tried to recruit.

While it is a sensitive time for US-Russian relations because of the crisis in Syria, the FSB's claims to have unearthed a CIA agent are unlikely to have any long-term political consequence, the BBC's Steve Rosenberg reports from Moscow.

Looks like the Americans will do anything to get information and control, nothing changes. The CIA disgust me and frankly I don't give two ****s what happens to that man, not after what they've done to countless others and what they continue to do.
Reply 1
what and you don't think Russia has agents trying to infiltrate the CIA? get real drop the US bashing and realise it's the way this sort of thing works everyone nation does it including Britain/MI6, no doubt the CIA agent will be released in a few months in exchange for some Russian spy America is holding prisoner.
Reply 2
Russia is not a current enemy of America, but it could well be in future. The CIA would be foolish not to have a whole army of spies in Russia trying to give America any advantage possible.

I expect the CIA also has spies in Britain, and MI6 probably has spies in America. There are some things that any country will want to keep secret even from a friend, and equally those friends will always be interested to know what secrets are being kept.
I'd be amazed if those two countries and no doubt many others weren't spying on each other. The only thing that's unusual is that one of them got caught doing it.
Reply 4
Original post by Shabalala
what and you don't think Russia has agents trying to infiltrate the CIA? get real drop the US bashing and realise it's the way this sort of thing works everyone nation does it including Britain/MI6, no doubt the CIA agent will be released in a few months in exchange for some Russian spy America is holding prisoner.

Doesn't change the fact that America has the most self-serving foreign policy in the world.
Reply 5
Original post by Kiss
Doesn't change the fact that America has the most self-serving foreign policy in the world.

Its not a fact. If you would like to differ please offer objective evidence.
Reply 6
Original post by Thriftworks
Its not a fact. If you would like to differ please offer objective evidence.

You really want me to list every single thing America does for itself, including all the crimes against humanity they've committed, along with their hypocritical approach to the way they view outsiders?
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss
You really want me to list every single thing America does for itself, including all the crimes against humanity they've committed, along with their hypocritical approach to the way they view outsiders?

What i want is for you to stop stating your opinion as fact.

Now can we come to the agreement that the matter is subjective?
Reply 8
Original post by Kiss
Looks like the Americans will do anything to get information and control, nothing changes. The CIA disgust me and frankly I don't give two ****s what happens to that man, not after what they've done to countless others and what they continue to do.

And what? You think the Russians are any better?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s9nmg/Panorama_The_Russians_Are_Coming
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kiss

Not true, they are simply the most capable of implementing it. You honestly think if any nation was in the US's position they wouldn't use it to their own advantage? How very naive.
Reply 10
I'm sure it's pretty normal for countries to spy on each other. I bet they even do it to their allies.

I know Britain had spies in the USA during World War 2. They attempted to spread misinformation to try and convince the USA to join the war. Of course in the end the Japanese did the job for them.
This is interesting. Good on them. Long live the CIA!
No one should really be surprised here. But it must be considered that even though the CIA has stations all over the world, it is the norm of the intelligence community to infiltrate possible enemies or try to gain the upper hand against allies. Russia has its agents here too, so do the Chinese. Foreign Policy is a wet dream without having the services of an intelligence agency at your side. Don't forget that this is a game that has been played throughout the 20th century and merely transformed as it entered the 21st.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending