The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feartheunknown
The following is fromt he top of my head so anyone, please feel free to correct me as I'ms ure there may be some faults in what I'm saying.

Teach First is a charity, you must be predicted a 2.1+ to apply and must go through a course of exams/interviews. Also, as it is a charity working in underdeveloped/poor preforming schools, they will send you where they need you ie. they will not always put your needs first in terms of what and where you want to teach. Just because you have a degree in Biomedical Sciences, does not mean you will teach Sciences (at secondary), they will look at your A-Levels too and decide ie. having done History at A-Level they might want you to teach that (heard that from the Teach First thread anyway, sounds a little weird to me though..). Also, I don't think you have any tuition fees to pay, it's like training on the job. School direct I think you must have had worked for 3ish years minimum to qualify and enables you to also train on the job and earn money whilst you do so. It is offered by schools and the school decides if they want to consider your application. I think you get less dedicated support this way, hence the prerequisite for 3 years work experience (in any field).

You don't need 3 years experience for SD. You need ample work exp (can't remember how much) only for the salaried route, but for the fee paying route (that I'd imagine most of us will be applying for) it's the same requirements as a PGCE, roughly. It's not less dedicated either.

I don't know much about Teach First. All I know it is very competitive with a long application process I believe. I did read you are able to teach a subject other than your degree as long as you have a good grade in it at A-Level. Last time I looked it didn't include a couple of national curriculum subjects. I remember History didn't count. I don't know why, and it may have changed. Yeah here you go:

For secondary teaching eligibility participants will require a degree (2.1 or above) relating to one of the following secondary national curriculum subjects:

Business Studies
Design & Technology*
English*
Geography
History
Computer Science & ICT*
Maths*
Modern Foreign Languages
Music
Religious Education
Science*
or an A*, A or B A-Level (or equivalent) in any of the subjects asterisked above. Please note, to be eligible to teach Science two relevant A-Levels are required.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
You don't need 3 years experience for SD. You need ample work exp (can't remember how much) only for the salaried route, but for the fee paying route (that I'd imagine most of us will be applying for) it's the same requirements as a PGCE, roughly. It's not less dedicated either.

I don't know much about Teach First. All I know it is very competitive with a long application process I believe. I did read you are able to teach a subject other than your degree as long as you have a good grade in it at A-Level. Last time I looked it didn't include a couple of national curriculum subjects. I remember History didn't count. I don't know why, and it may have changed. Yeah here you go:

Thanks for the info. So if Teach First is so competitive, you have no control over what/where will you teach, why go for this route? Is it because it has no fees?
Original post by Juichiro
Thanks for the info. So if Teach First is so competitive, you have no control over what/where will you teach, why go for this route? Is it because it has no fees?

I don't know much about it if I'm honest. I'm not eligible to apply. I would imagine the lack of fees has something to do with it. I've just had a look - it's two years long, with a full time salary paid and you finish with a PGCE. So yeah, lack of fees makes it appealing I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

Havn't posted for a while but I've been keeping up to date with the changes happening within the education sector and I just wanted to get people's opinions on the following article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/22/pgce-school-direct-bath-childcare

Obviously, with the majority of us on here hoping to embark on a PGCE at number of Universities, this article doesn't fill me with confidence...

The joys of Michael Gove eh...
Reply 204
Also, for School Direct or SCITT you still get University support, usually 1 day a week with the other 4 days being in whichever school you are placed in. However you should check whether the particular SD or SCITT provider includes a PGCE as well as QTS as not all do.
Anyone know if you have to do CRB checks through the school you're going to do work experience at or is there some service where I could pay to get one done over the summer? Was under the impression that CRB checks weren't open to the individual and had to be done through an organisation (e.g. employer).
Original post by StandardUsername
Anyone know if you have to do CRB checks through the school you're going to do work experience at or is there some service where I could pay to get one done over the summer? Was under the impression that CRB checks weren't open to the individual and had to be done through an organisation (e.g. employer).

You usually have to get them done through individual organisations.
Reply 207
Hi guys, planning on applying for a PGCE Primary this year to start next, just a little sketchy on the way to do it. Is it through UCAS? When exactly do you have to apply? Are there tuition fees like in Masters or is it the same system as undergrad i.e. student finance?

I'm just so scared. I just got my grades back for last year and I'm averaging a low 2.1 so will be hoping to work really hard this year and pull my grades up. I think I can achieve a first (MAYBE) since I know how unfocused I was and how little revision and prepartion I did. If I pull my socks up I'm sure things can change dramatically, but balancing that with an application as important as this seems a bit daunting if you know what I mean. Scared!!

Also if anyone knows, is getting experience in different schools important?
Search "get into teaching". There are two routes - gttr (uni for a year) or school direct itt -

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting experience is essential - and it's very competitive to get on a course as places are limited. A 2-1 is probably going to be a big help. Look at some of the posts re preparing for interview - I've summarised some of the requirements on one which show you just how much is required just to get on the course - it's a lot.
If you want to do it go for it - make sure you are up to date with the requirements - that's more important than applying before the 1 December deadline. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am getting some school experience arrange at 2/3 schools for the whole of september and some october. In addition, I am trying to do some volunteering with a local scouts group. Will this be enough? Also, what volunteering are you doing (or have you done)?
Reply 211
Hi guys. This thread is proving to be quite helpful!

I have a few questions about my situation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am from Ireland so I will be applying for the PGCE (Primary) '14 intake as an EU student. I am hoping to apply to Strathclyde, Bangor and 1 more university. I know that the courses are quite competitive in terms of applications.

My Bachelors degree (2.2) is largely unrelated but did contain many modules that directly relate to Primary Education. I recently completed 2 weeks observation in an Irish primary school. I have also taught ESL full time for 2 years at primary school level and 6 months at middle school level, both in South Korea. By the time the course starts I will have added another year of primary school ESL teaching experience, albeit in a different country.

Will this be enough experience or should I look to gain more during my holidays? Also, can any Irish applicants give me any advice re: fees?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Yahowho
Hi guys. This thread is proving to be quite helpful!

I have a few questions about my situation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am from Ireland so I will be applying for the PGCE (Primary) '14 intake as an EU student. I am hoping to apply to Strathclyde, Bangor and 1 more university. I know that the courses are quite competitive in terms of applications.

My Bachelors degree (2.2) is largely unrelated but did contain many modules that directly relate to Primary Education. I recently completed 2 weeks observation in an Irish primary school. I have also taught ESL full time for 2 years at primary school level and 6 months at middle school level, both in South Korea. By the time the course starts I will have added another year of primary school ESL teaching experience, albeit in a different country.

Will this be enough experience or should I look to gain more during my holidays? Also, can any Irish applicants give me any advice re: fees?

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about applying to St Marys in Twickenham as a lot of irish people go there?
Reply 213
Original post by polka_dott
Have you thought about applying to St Marys in Twickenham as a lot of irish people go there?

Hi! Well, the fee levels and cost of living are significant factors that I am taking into account. Tuition fees in England are usually in the region of £9000, as opposed to <£2000 in Scotland and <£4000 in Wales (if I qualify for the fee grant which I'm not certain of yet).
None.
I did no volunteering but 4 days a week - 2 days in 2 schools from January onwards (I was a late application). Best to go to more than one school if you can as you'll have more chance to pick something really useful or inspirational up. I suppose the 4 days a week was volunteering though as I didn't just observe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a thread on all things to do with PGCE Applications (commencing 2014). Check it out! :smile:
So no one is getting child/youth related experience (apart from the 10-day compulsory thing)?
Original post by RachelB11
I did no volunteering but 4 days a week - 2 days in 2 schools from January onwards (I was a late application). Best to go to more than one school if you can as you'll have more chance to pick something really useful or inspirational up. I suppose the 4 days a week was volunteering though as I didn't just observe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you did no volunteering apart from the school experience, right? May I ask what PGCE you went for? Also, did you offers from all your unis? May I ask what unis you went for?

Thanks, I really appreciate your time! :smile:
Original post by Feartheunknown
There is a thread on all things to do with PGCE Applications (commencing 2014). Check it out! :smile:

Thanks for the info! :smile: I am guessing you will be doing a PGCE as well? What subject?

Latest

Trending

Trending