The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smiler000
Madly enough I don't know! Apparently emails went out today but you have to log in to a booking system but it's not set up to accept the credentials they sent yet! It should be available tonight !! I will let you know when I've seen the options and what the interviews will include!! How are you doing? Any news? I got a rejection from Sussex uni.

Soryr to hear about sussex,they only have 15 places this year so I don't feel very confident about them, I haven't heard anything yet, but my lecturer only finished my ref this morning so I paid and sent then, so will hopefully hear something next week! That's exciting about chi though! Let me know if you have anymore updates :smile:
Original post by miss_disney
Soryr to hear about sussex,they only have 15 places this year so I don't feel very confident about them, I haven't heard anything yet, but my lecturer only finished my ref this morning so I paid and sent then, so will hopefully hear something next week! That's exciting about chi though! Let me know if you have anymore updates :smile:

I will do! I knew it was a slim chance with Sussex having such a small number of places but thought Id have a go! Oh brilliant you will be hearing soon I'm sure they seem to be so quick!! X
Reply 2182
Original post by miss_disney

where does it say how many places each Uni has?
Original post by Zogs
where does it say how many places each Uni has?

saw it in a thread a few pages back :smile:

Original post by smiler000
I will do! I knew it was a slim chance with Sussex having such a small number of places but thought Id have a go! Oh brilliant you will be hearing soon I'm sure they seem to be so quick!! X

And oooh absolutely, you don't know unless you try! I'm sure you'll do great at sussex and Brighton, and fingers crossed, I hope I hear something soon :smile: things are all getting real now !
Wooo just passed my literacy skills test :biggrin: Has anyone done the Numeracy one?
Reply 2185
[QUOTE="Airfairy;45352455"]Thanks for letting me know...now I want my interview! If I get one! Like I said above though, I would think different subjects would be different with how they roll out the interviews. Good luck with the interview anyway! :smile:

How did you find out?[/QUOTE

I received an email today from Edge Hill :smile:
Feeling nervous now!
Original post by Descartes93
Wooo just passed my literacy skills test :biggrin: Has anyone done the Numeracy one?

Congrats! Mine aren't until February. I am so scared by the numeracy one but people on here have said it isn't that bad.
Original post by Esmeralda4
Congrats! Mine aren't until February. I am so scared by the numeracy one but people on here have said it isn't that bad.

I have the numeracy one on Wednesday!
already done the literacy one!
Original post by Esmeralda4

Thank you! Well the online tests really really helped and were the same competency as the real one so I'm guessing/hoping the same will apply to the Numeracy tests! Good luck for yours :smile:
Original post by Fen2k
Mate, I feel your pain. Our referees are doing us a favour by writing this reference and therefore, I found it really hard to be pushy. I did say something on the lines of I know you are all really busy, but do you know when you will be able to complete the reference? Fortunately for me, my referee has just completed now. I think there is a very fine line between being nice but slightly pushy, to being annoying and demanding. Sure, at work when you need something done (not as a favour) you can afford to fall more towards the latter. But when you are asking someone to do you a favour.... I really can't. Alabelle, I really cross fingers for you. I said earlier in this topic that waiting for references puts too much pressure on the applicant and the referee.

Yeah, same. Up until a couple of days ago I was determined not to be pushy, but my boyfriend and my mum persuaded me that it would be in my best interests to make sure things are moving along smoothly. I sent one email to check that she'd received the reference request, left it 24 hours from when she replied, and then sent another. I said pretty much the same thing as you, just that I know she's busy but would it be possible to let me know when she plans to complete it for me... I really hope I didn't come across as pushy. It's just such a stressful process. She hasn't even 'accepted' the reference request yet. For all I know she doesn't plan to do it for a few weeks.

Original post by Airfairy
I really feel for you and totally agree that it's unfair. I don't see how it would affect the process if they opened it two weeks before and then gave everyone time to get references sorted. The fact UCAS only sends a reminder two weeks in (when some courses may have closed!) is awful.

It really is! I think UCAS should make the time limit clear too, since if we tell our referees we're only guaranteed two weeks it sounds like we're putting pressure on them... I'll be so relieved when I can just send this thing off for good.
Thank you! Well the online tests really really helped and were the same competency as the real one so I'm guessing/hoping the same will apply to the Numeracy tests! Good luck for yours :smile:

Thanks! :-)
Everything is getting so real now. Scary!
Reply 2191

Yay congrats!!! :-) xx
Reply 2192
Hey guys advice needed!! Just got email from Roehampton and I have an interview!! On the same day as my one with Wandsworth. :-( Roehampton is my first choice but wandsworth emailed first its on wednesday and I haven't confirmed my attendance yet for either. What shall I do?! Roehampton also have 4 times as many places.
Original post by cutebat
Hey guys advice needed!! Just got email from Roehampton and I have an interview!! On the same day as my one with Wandsworth. :-( Roehampton is my first choice but wandsworth emailed first its on wednesday and I haven't confirmed my attendance yet for either. What shall I do?! Roehampton also have 4 times as many places.

Ring up Wandsworth asap and see if you can move it, if they can't do the same for Roehampton. In the effect that neither can move i personally would recommend you go just for the Roehampton one based on what you've said there :biggrin:
Reply 2194
Thanks guys Im stressing out majorly and annoyingly its the weekend! So can't do anything until monday :-(
Original post by cutebat
Yay congrats!!! :-) xx

Original post by cutebat

Thank you cutebat!!!! And omg thats amazing, firstly major congrats on the 2 interviews!
I would do exactly what swarfliam said - maybe email them as well - you might get a response over the weekend, so you never know! I also think you should go for Roehampton if you have to choose, just because its your first choice and if they have more places then you are much more likely to get an offer! Good luck and let us know what happens! xx
Reply 2196
Original post by cutebat

I also agree with swarfliam!

Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for this. It is interesting. Anyone know why they are so focused on shifting towards school direct?

Original post by alabelle
It's their new preference for teacher training, they wanted the brightest graduates trained on the job. As for why, I'm not sure. Guess it's just how they think they'll get the best teachers.

I think Gove's argument is something along the lines of links to doctors. He says he wants teaching schools just like teaching hospitals (though personally I think this is an bad comparison as doctors do a lot of theory work beforehand... I'd say the proportions are probably more like the current PGCE set up).

They are also aiming for fast tracking to management. They think that all these 'top professionals'/the brightest graduates would be the best teachers but are getting drawn away from teachers because they can advance higher quicker in other careers.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
I also agree with swarfliam!

I think Gove's argument is something along the lines of links to doctors. He says he wants teaching schools just like teaching hospitals (though personally I think this is an bad comparison as doctors do a lot of theory work beforehand... I'd say the proportions are probably more like the current PGCE set up).

They are also aiming for fast tracking to management. They think that all these 'top professionals'/the brightest graduates would be the best teachers but are getting drawn away from teachers because they can advance higher quicker in other careers.

xxx

That tallies with what I've heard, yep. Recently read an article written by a guy who'd done School Direct and been fast-tracked to head of department within a few years. Hated it. Have heard that quite a few SD graduates end up leaving the school as soon as their year is over. To be honest, while I think it's important that teachers are well-educated, I don't think 'the brightest graduates' will necessarily make the best teachers. But the government doesn't seem too bothered about that... (unqualified ex-army teachers spring to mind).
Original post by crm
hey,

i submitted my application this week (after waiting for what felt like ages for my references to respond) but I have just realised I made an error in the exam board section. I did a national diploma on top of an english a level, and I put the wrong exam board for the diploma. I also guessed most of the exam boards for my GCSE's because all my certificates were lost when I moved house a few years ago, and I didn't want to wait until I was able to get new ones before applying as that would have been leaving it late.
I've emailed the course providers to mention that I made a mistake on my diploma exam board.
Do you think this will be much of a problem? Or if I guessed some of the exam boards for my GCSEs wrong, do you think it will matter? Just stressing out a bit!
Thanks

to to be honest I guessed all of mine too. They probs only interested in English and maths, my uni want to see my GCSE maths and English certificate at interview so I very much doubt they will sit and check every applicants award body for exams. As long as you get a copy of your maths and English, unis are very flexible. I would t worry about it, I'm not.
Sent my academic reference an email asking him when he was submitting due to this weekends maintenance and he said he'd try today but hasn't yet :frown: getting a bit fed up and disheartened as I'm applying for English which is so competitive. I agree with earlier comments about the system seeming backwards.... But I guess I just have to waita

Posted from TSR Mobile