The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you got a biomedical degree can you apply for secondary chemistry PGCE
Original post by BlissedBlessing
If you got a biomedical degree can you apply for secondary chemistry PGCE

Courses normally require at least 50% off you degree to be in the subject :smile:
Original post by cutebat
Hey guys just wondering what people are wearing to interview?! I'm thinking smart skirt, small heels, smart top with cardigan? last year I wore a suit and no-one else did!

I probably will wear a suit, though maybe not a tie. Better to be overdressed than underdressed!
Original post by smiler000
What are you going to speak about for current issues? I am swotting for an interview on Thurs! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

im applying for secondary PGCE. Ive been looking at social class differences in admissions, gender gaps in grades, social mobility, the emegence of academies and there was an interesting article in todays sunday times about how the Uk education system is apparently behind in international legaue tables.

Just completed my lesson plan that i have to present!
Reply 2304
Apologies if it's already been answered in earlier pages, but with aspects of the UCAS system being down, can the references still be submitted? I am about to email to politely bug my academic ref, as she promised to get it done this weekend, however I obviously don't want to be doing so if she can't actually submit it until tomorrow. Thanks. ^^
edit~ I nagged her anyway. :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
anyone have any other ideas on what to research for educational topics and issues?
Reply 2306
Original post by pthomas112
anyone have any other ideas on what to research for educational topics and issues?

I'm looking at the current changes with the national curriculum, the introduction of fining parents for taking children on holiday during school time. Just browsing my old issues of TES atm and the guardian education section! (Im applying primary)
im applying for secondary PGCE. Ive been looking at social class differences in admissions, gender gaps in grades, social mobility, the emegence of academies and there was an interesting article in todays sunday times about how the Uk education system is apparently behind in international legaue tables.

Just completed my lesson plan that i have to present!

Where are you looking on the internet for this stuff? Just so I know when I (hopefully!) get an interview. I'm doing my dissertation on education policy and I mentioned this in my personal statement, but now I'm wishing I didn't! They will probably be expecting me to be an expert even though I don't start proper research until Feb.

Good luck all you guys with interviews. Me, jealous? Never!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2308
Original post by cutebat
Hey guys just wondering what people are wearing to interview?! I'm thinking smart skirt, small heels, smart top with cardigan? last year I wore a suit and no-one else did!

To me, it makes sense to dress as you would when you are teaching. So I'll dress the same as I did on my school experience - a suit without a tie.
Original post by cutebat

I'm going to wear a pencil skirt, blouse, cardigan, tights and flat black shoes. My standard 'working at a school' outfit. I'm applying for primary though, and I think that they expect you to be more comfortable as you will be 'playing' and moving around with the kids.
i've been using the BBC Education website, the TES forum, Sunday times and just typing in keywords on google and searching on news and discussions
Original post by jeffercake
I'm going to wear a pencil skirt, blouse, cardigan, tights and flat black shoes. My standard 'working at a school' outfit. I'm applying for primary though, and I think that they expect you to be more comfortable as you will be 'playing' and moving around with the kids.

I think I'll go much the same - black skirt or trousers, smart top and cardigan. I debated wearing a jacket but they make me feel very uncomfortable and I don't want to look/feel awkward.

With the current educational issues, how much detail are we expected to know? Looking through TES, BBC etc. does not really give all that much...
Reply 2312
it is quite difficult to gain some experience/observation within a classroom as the schools I have contacted state they are fully booked with students
Reply 2313
Original post by kind1
it is quite difficult to gain some experience/observation within a classroom as the schools I have contacted state they are fully booked with students

Try a school that has a bad Ofsted. They are probably desperate for help, needing TAs to do 1:1 etc.
Reply 2314
Hi all,
Just a quick question, I have Roehampton interview on Wednesday. The interview information says they will ask about the breath and depth of your subject knowledge. I am just wondering if anybody has an idea exactly what kind of questions they could ask about subject knowledge?? I am applying for foundation/ks1.
Thanks a mill, Jill
Reply 2315
Original post by Jill14
Hi all,
Just a quick question, I have Roehampton interview on Wednesday. The interview information says they will ask about the breath and depth of your subject knowledge. I am just wondering if anybody has an idea exactly what kind of questions they could ask about subject knowledge?? I am applying for foundation/ks1.
Thanks a mill, Jill

The main question I'd anticipate would be "How does your degree relate to the national curriculum?"
Reply 2316
Thank you, I think I have that question covered, I just had a panicked moment where I imagined the interviewer asking me about a particular date in history, or to explain a certain maths rule to them!! I am probably over-thinking at this stage :smile:

I'm not sure about websites or anything, but read lots of news! I'm lucky because my degree is in education and I'm doing my dissertation on a current educational issue. But there's a ton of educational issues I can think of off the top of my head, including; academies (you could really talk about this from a dozen different angles), teaching as a profession, GCSE reforms, EAL students, inclusion, barriers to education, etc. Just pick one you are interested in and research it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thought people might like to know that track etc is now available again after the scheduled updates ( well it is for me anyway)
Reply 2319
Original post by Jill14
Thank you, I think I have that question covered, I just had a panicked moment where I imagined the interviewer asking me about a particular date in history, or to explain a certain maths rule to them!! I am probably over-thinking at this stage :smile:

It will vary from university to university, and course to course. I'm going for secondary physics, but I've been told that part of the interview will be asking questions that a student could ask (where do the stars go at night? could we replace gas power with wind power? etc.). Then my answers will be assessed on clarity, accuracy, and suitability to the audience. Perhaps thinking about questions the kids could ask you is a good route to go down?