The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alice_R23
Anyone have an interview for pgce primary at St Marys? Or any advice if you've already had one? I have mine next Wednesday and am very nervous!! x

What sort of stuff are you revising for the maths and english tests?
Just doing some interview prep for Weds, preparing my presentation. I will be given a 'mystery object' to give another presentation on as well. I am totally dreading this one because it's for R.E. and there are plenty of items I will be clueless about, but I'm hoping I won't be alone there. I am just going to read up on some well known ones and hoping they don't give me a really obscure one. I may as well leave straight after if I end up having to say 'sorry I don't know what this is' :colondollar: .
Original post by MusicGirlKH
I have a Primary interview tomorrow, and am currently researching some educational issues that I can talk about. Do you think that the educational issues will have to be related to Primary education specifically, or would I be able to talk about something such as the PISA results, or performance-related pay for teachers? I'm finding it really difficult to unearth any Primary educational issues with enough supporting evidence :s-smilie:

Hi,

It might be worth looking at the changes to the Primary Curriculum and how this might impact on Primary education. For example, the change from teaching ICT to 'Computing' and how staff are expected to all be trained up in this enough to teach it from September, without much guidance. Just one example though - have a search of http://www.theguardian.com/education for primary education issues, sure they'll be loads more examples there.

But your ideas about PRP and say managing high workloads etc sound fine too.

Cindy
Original post by Airfairy
I did my first practice for the maths and got 50%. I'm not too bummed about that though because I didn't do any prep and haven't done maths in five years so I know with a bit of reading up and a few more practice tests I'll be fine! The 18 seconds for the mental maths goes awfully fast though... The other bit

i got got something like 35% haven't done maths for 14 years so I'm mega rusty!!!! I've got the books to revise so been doing an hour everyday, think I'll wait another week and try another practice test. My real test is 18th Feb, dreading it.
Guys this is probably a really silly question.

The uni's want to see our certificates and take a copy of them.

Can these copies be in black and white?

Thanks
Got an interview at Birmingham University for Primary!

However, they are sketchy with the details, am I right in thinking I have an interview and two tests?!
Original post by mango93
Just got an email from UCAS saying 'Something has changed', I logged in and everything is exactly the same!!!!!!!!! Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah it did to me, I was very confused and thought it was just me!
is anyone else finding it extremely difficult to prepare a presentation for only 2-3 minutes! :confused:
Original post by Lucy_jucie
did my first practice for the maths and got 50%. I'm not too bummed about that though because I didn't do any prep and haven't done maths in five years so I know with a bit of reading up and a few more practice tests I'll be fine! The 18 seconds for the mental maths goes awfully fast though... The other bit

i got got something like 35% haven't done maths for 14 years so I'm mega rusty!!!! I've got the books to revise so been doing an hour everyday, think I'll wait another week and try another practice test. My real test is 18th Feb, dreading it.

Yeah 14 years is a long time. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure you'll be fine after some revising :smile:. I think the most important thing I'll need to revise is how to convert decimals/fractions/percentages. Also look into Numeracy Ready if you're really worried. They have 20 more practice tests and some additional stuff for £20 (I think). I think I will highly rely on that, I've heard good things about it from people on here! At least you have over a month until your test.

Side question - is contacting a provider to ask when you'll hear back a big nono?
Original post by cinderella25
is anyone else finding it extremely difficult to prepare a presentation for only 2-3 minutes! :confused:

Yes! What is your presentation based on?
Reply 4350
How do I withdraw from the other choices if I have already recieved an offer?
Reply 4351
Original post by cinderella25

Tell me about it! I've got 3 min to discuss an educational issue that inspired me to become a teacher!!! Was only told about it today and my interview is Thursday....argh....
Original post by Tinitus
Tell me about it! I've got 3 min to discuss an educational issue that inspired me to become a teacher!!! Was only told about it today and my interview is Thursday....argh....

Best of luck! I am sure you will be fine!
Original post by womanonamission
Guys this is probably a really silly question.

The uni's want to see our certificates and take a copy of them.

Can these copies be in black and white?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the university will want to see the original certificate, and that a copy won't be good enough. I think they mean that they will copy it once they have the original from you.
Original post by Angel_x
How do I withdraw from the other choices if I have already recieved an offer?

Go on to TRACK, click on Choices, and then the option to withdraw will be there for each of your options. Well done on getting an offer!
Reply 4355
Original post by Airfairy
Yeah 14 years is a long time. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure you'll be fine after some revising :smile:. I think the most important thing I'll need to revise is how to convert decimals/fractions/percentages. Also look into Numeracy Ready if you're really worried. They have 20 more practice tests and some additional stuff for £20 (I think). I think I will highly rely on that, I've heard good things about it from people on here! At least you have over a month until your test.

Side question - is contacting a provider to ask when you'll hear back a big nono?

I wouldn't bother. They probably won't be able to give a definite answer and it certainly won't speed things up. Just tell yourself there's nothing you can do and relax/enjoy free time. Or at least worry about something else :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bellylaugh
I'm pretty sure the university will want to see the original certificate, and that a copy won't be good enough. I think they mean that they will copy it once they have the original from you.

Oh yeah sorry I didn't make myself clear. I need to show the original and take a copy as well that they then keep. I just wondered if the copy should be colour or it can be black and white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by womanonamission
Oh yeah sorry I didn't make myself clear. I need to show the original and take a copy as well that they then keep. I just wondered if the copy should be colour or it can be black and white.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see! Yes I'm sure that will be fine.
Original post by nimgreen
Hi everyone - does anyone have an interview for Bradford College on Tuesday for PGCE primary? Now it's getting closer I'm getting really nervous as this is my first choice uni! Argh! I've revised a lot on the new curriculum and a bit on EAL pupils and academies too. I was wondering what your opinions were on the presentation on an object. They ask you to show how you would use the object to facilitate learning, I've written my presentation as if I am addressing pupils directly, rather than the interviewers - do you think this is wrong?
I've also got a leeds interview on Thurs! Exciting week ahead! :smile: Good luck to those of you with interviews and congrats to those already with offers!

Hello I have an interview tomorrow at Bradford! 9am! I've revised the new curriculum but its all just mush in my mind now hopefully in the interview it will all just flow out ha. I've been reading a lot of education news as well but I just can't wrap my head around acadamies so I will just focus on curriculum changes and inclusion i think. For my presentation I explain my object and the learning to the actual examiners but that's a good idea to address the pupils. What is your object? Good luck!

P.s I have an interview for Leeds Uni (5-9) next Wednesday!
Original post by Amy Williams
Yes! What is your presentation based on?

"what makes a good secondary foreign languages lesson?" I have to do a presentation about that and am finding it extremely difficult to prepare for it. it is making me very anxious! :s-smilie:

What is your presentation based on?

Latest

Trending

Trending