The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to be applying for a primary PGCE for 2014 but have a few questions to ask. When does the process of applying begin? Do I need to ask my personal tutor for a reference and how do I get the reference onto the form? Is there any advice online in regards to writing a good personal statement? Should I get the careers agency at my Uni to check my personal statement before I apply?
Reply 61
Original post by rochester308
Im heading to Swansea Met :smile: PGCE History! Cannot wait!!!
Anyone else been to Swansea met or going?
I am applying to Swansea met for 2014, would love to be able to pick your brains if that is possible?
Original post by wildrover
I'm going to be applying for a primary PGCE for 2014 but have a few questions to ask. When does the process of applying begin? Do I need to ask my personal tutor for a reference and how do I get the reference onto the form? Is there any advice online in regards to writing a good personal statement? Should I get the careers agency at my Uni to check my personal statement before I apply?

Applications open from November 1st.

Advice for personal statements are here: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/application-form-assistant.aspx
Original post by swarfliam

Advice for personal statements are here: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/application-form-assistant.aspx

Thank you.

I had no idea applications opened so late.
Reply 64

Have they released the official date now then? Last time I checked it only said late October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Hello,

I am studying language studies at the moment, which is English and Spanish. If really like to teach languages, and have a GCSE in German too. As you can see, I've never studied French. Do you think I have enough to get on a languages PGCE?

Thanks,

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Have they released the official date now then? Last time I checked it only said late October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Taken from here: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training

(posted earlier in the thread) :smile:
Reply 67
Taken from here: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training

(posted earlier in the thread) :smile:

Thanks. I'd seen it posted but hadn't had a proper read yet. Good thing I did now, seems quite a bit is changing.

I don't know whether to be pleased or not that we don't get to list our choices as a priority now. I was never sure if that was an advantage or not. Also noticed we are only allowed three choices now, which knocks my chances.

I don't understand why the opening period exists, like how they say providers choose when to be open and will be for a max of two weeks. What is the advantage to this system? This just messes it up for me if I find out my three providers have different openings.

I'd say in general I was more comfortable with the old system.

EDIT: Just reading the references section of that website. Does anyone know how we submit references? Do you get a copy of what your tutor/boss has said and then type it up or something? May be a weird question but I've never had to submit the reference myself so I don't know how it goes down. With jobs they always ring people and with UCAS undergrad it goes straight through to your college.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks. I'd seen it posted but hadn't had a proper read yet. Good thing I did now, seems quite a bit is changing.

I don't know whether to be pleased or not that we don't get to list our choices as a priority now. I was never sure if that was an advantage or not. Also noticed we are only allowed three choices now, which knocks my chances.

I don't understand why the opening period exists, like how they say providers choose when to be open and will be for a max of two weeks. What is the advantage to this system? This just messes it up for me if I find out my three providers have different openings.

I'd say in general I was more comfortable with the old system.

EDIT: Just reading the references section of that website. Does anyone know how we submit references? Do you get a copy of what your tutor/boss has said and then type it up or something? May be a weird question but I've never had to submit the reference myself so I don't know how it goes down. With jobs they always ring people and with UCAS undergrad it goes straight through to your college.

It's very confusing isn't it! This new stuff has totally changed what I thought I knew about applying...
It doesn't mention if you can apply to three primary pgces now? Not that I could see, anyway. I gave up reading it tbh because it was hard to figure out!
Reply 69
Original post by alabelle
It's very confusing isn't it! This new stuff has totally changed what I thought I knew about applying...
It doesn't mention if you can apply to three primary pgces now? Not that I could see, anyway. I gave up reading it tbh because it was hard to figure out!

Yeah, it's times like this I just don't understand why they bother changing it. It makes no sense to me. As far as I was aware, there was nothing wrong with the old system!

I think "if it's not broke, don't fix it" is appropriate here.
Reply 70
I am in Wales, so perhaps it's slightly different, but I have also just found out that you now need a B in GCSE English and Maths (I am applying for post-grad secondary history). I wouldn't mind, but I literally just re sat my GCSE Maths last week (foundation to get a C) then they change it! I now have to apply and sit the exam for higher maths in November. Annoying because I have been doing everything to make sure I meet all the requirements, now if I am equal with another applicant who already has the B grade I will lose out. Here is hoping they can give me a conditional offer (I am taking the exam around the same time as the application which is another stress).
I'm hoping it will become clearer as the months go (it can't get much more confusing atm). We don't need to rush anything guys remember :biggrin: though it is indeed good to plan!
Reply 72
Does anyone have an answer to my question please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm no MFL expert (perhaps PM myrtille, she's just finished her PGCE, find her in the PGCE sticky thread), but I reckon you have loads to go on! You can't expect to be an expert in 3 languages really.
Reply 74
Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Feartheunknown
I'm trying to organise some experience (by work experience do you mean you will actually teach classes or are you just observing?) I'm trying calling around different schools to observe some lessons at the moment... it's proving to be a bit of a difficult and laborious task!

Hiya, I dont think the schools are unwilling to let you volunteer just because it is exam period... I think it is the way you are approaching them. Meaning they wont want someone to just 'observe' lessons, they will want people to actually help out in them. Teachers still feel nervous when being observed. Maybe in your next email/phone call, mention maybe working with small groups and helping the teacher out in the daily routine of the class? This might give you a better stand of schools allowing you to volunteer :smile:
If you are trying to get work experience in a school I suggest calling it 'volunteering' rather than 'observing' or 'work experience', and explain you are going/hoping to apply for a PGCE/school direct or whatever - they might be more willing to have you then.
Reply 77
Original post by polka_dott
If you are trying to get work experience in a school I suggest calling it 'volunteering' rather than 'observing' or 'work experience', and explain you are going/hoping to apply for a PGCE/school direct or whatever - they might be more willing to have you then.

I agree with this- I asked to volunteer as a classroom assistant and ended up getting a week of I observation as well as teaching in small groups. I also felt like mentioning a pgce application was beneficial, all of the teachers asked me about my application when they met me and some had some helpful advice! I think you get treated more seriously when you talk about a pgce.
Reply 78
i just finished four weeks experience in two different schools - one, a struggling primary which has just become an academy, and one a well respected state primary. i'm hoping to apply to brunel and cambridge (!!?) for Primary PGCE 2014 intake. i work full time so had to take a month of unpaid leave to do my work experience and i'm not sure i'll be able to do that again so i really hope that's enough!! i volunteered in a primary school during university (2008 and 2009) but i don't know if that experience is even relevant anymore. Brownies is a great shout though, i might write to my local ones to see if they need anyone. i guess every little helps!
any advice in the applications is gonna be so valuable as it all seems so confusing! I think you do need to do the skills test before you start the course, but does it need to be booked before you even apply? getting mixed messages as with everything! it's so stressful and we're nowhere near applying yet!
also, my one other question is educational references - i guess i'll use my uni personal tutor but i doubt he even remembers me so it's a bit worrying how good the reference will be!
good luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by claired33
i just finished four weeks experience in two different schools - one, a struggling primary which has just become an academy, and one a well respected state primary. i'm hoping to apply to brunel and cambridge (!!?) for Primary PGCE 2014 intake. i work full time so had to take a month of unpaid leave to do my work experience and i'm not sure i'll be able to do that again so i really hope that's enough!! i volunteered in a primary school during university (2008 and 2009) but i don't know if that experience is even relevant anymore. Brownies is a great shout though, i might write to my local ones to see if they need anyone. i guess every little helps!
any advice in the applications is gonna be so valuable as it all seems so confusing! I think you do need to do the skills test before you start the course, but does it need to be booked before you even apply? getting mixed messages as with everything! it's so stressful and we're nowhere near applying yet!
also, my one other question is educational references - i guess i'll use my uni personal tutor but i doubt he even remembers me so it's a bit worrying how good the reference will be!
good luck to everyone :smile:

i thinkkkkk, we have to do the skills test if we get an offer :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending