The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
Ah yeah that's a shame! I looked at Sheffield Hallam myself but their experience requirements put me off. :frown: It's been hard enough getting observation experience, never mind being allowed to teach a whole class!

Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying :tongue: I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.
Original post by Airfairy
Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying :tongue: I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.

Yep. I really like the school but their requirements were too high for me. Their minimum requirements were fine but on the open day they made it clear that they were looking for a lot more than they mention on their website. Disappointing but I'll have a better chance elsewhere. :smile:

It's one of the benefits of secondary that the requirements are lower! Good luck, it looks like a really good uni. :smile:
Yep. I really like the school but their requirements were too high for me. Their minimum requirements were fine but on the open day they made it clear that they were looking for a lot more than they mention on their website. Disappointing but I'll have a better chance elsewhere. :smile:

It's one of the benefits of secondary that the requirements are lower! Good luck, it looks like a really good uni. :smile:

I bet they are looking for a lot more than five days for secondary too! Oh well.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
Hey guys! Just wanted to ask a question that may be fairly obvious but here goes anyway :tongue:

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE for 2014 entry and I've done 3 school placements, I did 6 full school days in one school but in my other two schools I did one afternoon/morning a week for 10 weeks in both. When they say 'days' in the entry requirements does this mean FULL days? So my 20 half days count for 10 full days? As I say this may be obvious but I can't find anywhere what it specifically means by 'day' and want to be sure!

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 784
Original post by LAEVIE
Hey guys! Just wanted to ask a question that may be fairly obvious but here goes anyway :tongue:

I'm applying for an Early Years PGCE for 2014 entry and I've done 3 school placements, I did 6 full school days in one school but in my other two schools I did one afternoon/morning a week for 10 weeks in both. When they say 'days' in the entry requirements does this mean FULL days? So my 20 half days count for 10 full days? As I say this may be obvious but I can't find anywhere what it specifically means by 'day' and want to be sure!

Cheers :biggrin:

Yeah I THINK they mean full days but yeah you should be fine. I'm applying for an early years PGCE as well and I just have 5 days in EYFS but a bit more in key stage 1. Also, I think it's how you write it and what you learn, as opposed to how much time you spent. If you're worried you could always contact admissions tutors to double check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 785
Quick question, wondering if anyone knows the answer on here!

Does anyone know if the application form that we fill in on UCAS is the same form that everyone else i.e. non teacher training applications/undergrads etc. fill out?

Basically, I registered a UCAS account the other week but my Careers lady seems to think that I've registered in the wrong place and that what I'm actually seeing is the general undergrad application form. As far as I've ever been aware, there's only ever been one "universal UCAS account" that you use for Apply/Track... and I assumed correctly or incorrectly, that there is only one form, and that we fill in all the basic details the same as everyone else does, and that more sections/fields will simply become available once we've added our teacher training courses [which we can't do yet until the 21st November] to the choices section.

Or will I have to create a brand new account on 21st November in a special teacher training section on UCAS? I was hoping this was the same thing, so I could get the basic personal details like name/address/DOB/ethnic background etc. in early and save me some time, and just do the rest when ITT apps go live on the 21st. But now I don't know what to think!

Do you think the Apply system for ITT will be a completely new/different section?
Original post by Deja Vu
Quick question, wondering if anyone knows the answer on here!

Does anyone know if the application form that we fill in on UCAS is the same form that everyone else i.e. non teacher training applications/undergrads etc. fill out?

Basically, I registered a UCAS account the other week but my Careers lady seems to think that I've registered in the wrong place and that what I'm actually seeing is the general undergrad application form. As far as I've ever been aware, there's only ever been one "universal UCAS account" that you use for Apply/Track... and I assumed correctly or incorrectly, that there is only one form, and that we fill in all the basic details the same as everyone else does, and that more sections/fields will simply become available once we've added our teacher training courses [which we can't do yet until the 21st November] to the choices section.

Or will I have to create a brand new account on 21st November in a special teacher training section on UCAS? I was hoping this was the same thing, so I could get the basic personal details like name/address/DOB/ethnic background etc. in early and save me some time, and just do the rest when ITT apps go live on the 21st. But now I don't know what to think!

Do you think the Apply system for ITT will be a completely new/different section?

It does seem to be a different section, with it's own course search and everything, called Ucas Teacher Training (UTT). I don't imagine you'd be able to use that application for UTT when it opens because we are allowed to make less choices than undergraduates and it seems like a completely different process i.e. apply 1 and apply 2 versus apply and clearing. The UTT section of the website seems to be pretty adamant that we can't complete the forms until 21st November. And since not every university will even be ready to receive applications by then, I don't think filling in a form will make a lot of difference.
Reply 787
It does seem to be a different section, with it's own course search and everything, called Ucas Teacher Training (UTT). I don't imagine you'd be able to use that application for UTT when it opens because we are allowed to make less choices than undergraduates and it seems like a completely different process i.e. apply 1 and apply 2 versus apply and clearing. The UTT section of the website seems to be pretty adamant that we can't complete the forms until 21st November. And since not every university will even be ready to receive applications by then, I don't think filling in a form will make a lot of difference.

Hopefully most providers will be ready for the 21st, if not, I think it's absolutely disgusting. The date has already been pushed back by 3 weeks, so if they aren't ready for the 21st, what chance did they ever have of been ready for the 1st?!

Ridiculous.

I was told that most should be ready by the 21st with only maybe 2 or 3 stragglers later than that. We'll see though...

The system is complete crap not being able to search for courses until the day applications open. I'd actually have preferred being able to search for 3/5/7 days before hand. And I personally don't accept "well it's a new system" as a good enough excuse... the amount of people involved in a project like this must be immense, and yet not one of them saw a problem with the search listings going live on the same day as the applications?! :angry:

I have no idea if there will even be three places nearby offering the course I am applying to; I am restricted to a specific location, as I can't afford to move away for ITT like I did with undergrad.

Sigh.
The organisation is infuriating! I really want to be able to search courses at least :frown:

Who have people asked for their academic reference? I might just ask a random lecturer because I've never met my personal tutor...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deja Vu
Hopefully most providers will be ready for the 21st, if not, I think it's absolutely disgusting. The date has already been pushed back by 3 weeks, so if they aren't ready for the 21st, what chance did they ever have of been ready for the 1st?!

Ridiculous.

I was told that most should be ready by the 21st with only maybe 2 or 3 stragglers later than that. We'll see though...

The system is complete crap not being able to search for courses until the day applications open. I'd actually have preferred being able to search for 3/5/7 days before hand. And I personally don't accept "well it's a new system" as a good enough excuse... the amount of people involved in a project like this must be immense, and yet not one of them saw a problem with the search listings going live on the same day as the applications?! :angry:

I have no idea if there will even be three places nearby offering the course I am applying to; I am restricted to a specific location, as I can't afford to move away for ITT like I did with undergrad.

Sigh.

From what my university have said, most universities will be ready but SCITT providers may not. Considering the whole business of them opening and closing applications at will, I don't think we can guarantee when universities will choose to make themselves available. Better courses might be added later and, since we can't see the course search yet, we might end up wanting to change our minds. It's a ridiculous system. Then again our uni was keen to tell us not to worry about being one of the first applicants, because 'only the deserving will get in anyway'. Not sure what to make of that.

From the sounds of things the GTTR has always had problems on the day it opens, and with it being a new system this year, I'm expecting it to be even worse than usual.

Like you I'm restricted with locations I can apply to and to be honest, I'm quite frustrated with the whole thing.
Hi guys..M totally new to th the students room but looking at other post m getting bit courage of staying in the field.M applying for Pgce this year.have an experience of 6.months in two schools and have MSc in environmental science.M from India,have booked a holiday for December because I haven't been home since 2years.the application date has been postponed to 21st m going for four weeks,coming back before nwyear. Any idea,will there be any problem in my application? I shall submit my application and book the skill test before going.
I am a new member to TSR and an applicant for Pgce 2014.I have a masters in environmental science and experience of 6.months in primary nd secondary school for 6.months.I am from India and haven't been back home since 2years.unfortunately have booked a holiday for December. I plan to submitted application and book my skill test before going.Planning to get back before new year. Gus Plz guide me will there be any problem?? Coz the application process shall be on hold during Christmas holidays, Will my holiday affect any offers coming to me??u
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 792
does anyone know the difference with teach first apart from being paid - is it much harder to get onto?

also on the experience section of the application do we have many words to write or just list where and when?

x
Reply 793
Teach First is very competitive because it's salaried unlike PGCEs. Also, one of its aims is to provide under performing schools with high quality graduates, so the placements are much more challenging. In a way this means that anybody who has completed Teach First will be a highly desirable employee because they'll have had to adapt to a more difficult teaching environment during their training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advice please!

For a Primary PGCE, i want to apply to Reading and Winchester. Reading is probably going to be harder to get into, but it is much better for me travel-wise as i'll be living at home (as well as being a better place to do it right?). So do i risk putting Reading as my first choice, and hope i get an interview, but on the other hand they could take the two weeks to reject me and by then Winchester would be less likely to offer me a place?

Hope that makes sense!
Reply 795
Thought I'd join the fray... Looking for some advice on references.

I have the first reference sorted - my advisor of studies from my degree - but I can't decide who to use for the second reference. I've had two lovely ladies offer to help me out. One is an ex-primary teacher who I have volunteered with for the past year and a half. She is an instructor with the Riding for the Disabled Association and I help in five lessons a week. She regularly tells me how much she appreciates my help in her classes, that I am great with the children etc and I'm fairly certain she would give me a brilliant reference.

On the other hand, the head of the school where I am volunteering has also offered to provide a reference. She sits on the PGDE interview panel for a Scottish university so I feel her reference would ad some weight to my application. However although we have emailed back and forward I have only spoken to her in person once and have only spent four days in the school so far. She has passed on some good feedback from the teachers.

Essentially the choice is between a really genuine strong reference from a lady I have worked alongside for what will be almost two years and a good but less personal reference from someone higher up the ladder who has been fantastic but who doesn't know me as well. Thoughts anyone?
Reply 796
Original post by swarfliam
Advice please!

For a Primary PGCE, i want to apply to Reading and Winchester. Reading is probably going to be harder to get into, but it is much better for me travel-wise as i'll be living at home (as well as being a better place to do it right?). So do i risk putting Reading as my first choice, and hope i get an interview, but on the other hand they could take the two weeks to reject me and by then Winchester would be less likely to offer me a place?

Hope that makes sense!

The system has changed this year so that your application gets sent to all of your choices at the same time, unlike previous years when the applications were only passed to your second or third choices in the event of rejections. It means that you might get offered multiple interviews which you'll have to prepare for (and potentially multiple offers to choose between) but at least it's fairer in that there's no 'risking' or 'gambling' involved in picking your choices, so don't worry about whether I not you're likely to get into Reading, just apply to where you want to train and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Original post by danisolo
Thought I'd join the fray... Looking for some advice on references.

I have the first reference sorted - my advisor of studies from my degree - but I can't decide who to use for the second reference. I've had two lovely ladies offer to help me out. One is an ex-primary teacher who I have volunteered with for the past year and a half. She is an instructor with the Riding for the Disabled Association and I help in five lessons a week. She regularly tells me how much she appreciates my help in her classes, that I am great with the children etc and I'm fairly certain she would give me a brilliant reference.

On the other hand, the head of the school where I am volunteering has also offered to provide a reference. She sits on the PGDE interview panel for a Scottish university so I feel her reference would ad some weight to my application. However although we have emailed back and forward I have only spoken to her in person once and have only spent four days in the school so far. She has passed on some good feedback from the teachers.

Essentially the choice is between a really genuine strong reference from a lady I have worked alongside for what will be almost two years and a good but less personal reference from someone higher up the ladder who has been fantastic but who doesn't know me as well. Thoughts anyone?

Both sound like they'd give you pretty strong references to be honest, but I think I'd go with the second. It might not be quite as strong as the first one you mentioned, but it still sounds very good and will give universities an idea of how you perform in a specifically educational setting. But that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by siffatsaad
I am a new member to TSR and an applicant for Pgce 2014.I have a masters in environmental science and experience of 6.months in primary nd secondary school for 6.months.I am from India and haven't been back home since 2years.unfortunately have booked a holiday for December. I plan to submitted application and book my skill test before going.Planning to get back before new year. Gus Plz guide me will there be any problem?? Coz the application process shall be on hold during Christmas holidays, Will my holiday affect any offers coming to me??u

That would entirely depend on when the university your applying to is planing to hold interviews. Some will likely be held in December, therefore you could miss them.
Original post by amul1992
Teach First is very competitive because it's salaried unlike PGCEs. Also, one of its aims is to provide under performing schools with high quality graduates, so the placements are much more challenging. In a way this means that anybody who has completed Teach First will be a highly desirable employee because they'll have had to adapt to a more difficult teaching environment during their training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd think so, but I've heard many schools and teachers have a dislike of teach first because it just throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't help them develop as teachers.

Latest

Trending

Trending