The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alabelle
I've been led to believe by my uni that we won't be able to search UTT until the 21st. However, they also emailed us today to say that we might not be able to book our skills tests until mid-November, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt, considering I've already booked mine...

Ahh that sucks then ! It doesn't sound like anyone knows really ! How have you booked them then? The skills tests confuse me! I'm from wales and will be applying here as my first choice. At the moment wales doesn't do the tests and students who started 2013 haven't sat them to gain a place on the course. Are these tests coming to wales for 2014 entry? I know that if I apply to english unis I'll have the sit them, but at the moment no one can actually give me an answer / google isn't that helpful either.
Reply 921
Original post by alabelle
I do have more recent experience as well. :smile: I have five days in a primary school in June, I'm going back there next week for another five days, and I'm doing ten days in a different school in January. So hopefully that should be enough!

That's good then! The older experience is sure to have given you good stuff to think about and still be relevant, and tbh even if it was completely different it would still give you good educational ideas to reflect on :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JosephineE
Ahh that sucks then ! It doesn't sound like anyone knows really ! How have you booked them then? The skills tests confuse me! I'm from wales and will be applying here as my first choice. At the moment wales doesn't do the tests and students who started 2013 haven't sat them to gain a place on the course. Are these tests coming to wales for 2014 entry? I know that if I apply to english unis I'll have the sit them, but at the moment no one can actually give me an answer / google isn't that helpful either.

I don't remember reading anything that says the tests are coming to Wales. They're not making any changes to the tests now as far as I know.

I booked mine through the website, they're letting you register and book them now. :smile: If you're applying here you should book yours soon so you can sit them prior to interviews.
That's what I thought and no one around here seems to think so ! Applying in england is my second choice, so I'll sit them once I know whether or not I've got in to a uni in wales. Have you done the practice tests? The maths one is so hard !

You know now the applications are done through ucas are they still the same as gttr, in the way that one application goes to one provider at a time? or do they all get sent out at the same time?
I thought the applications were going to open in 1st November. That's today but I don't see any open applications!
Reply 925
That's what I thought and no one around here seems to think so ! Applying in england is my second choice, so I'll sit them once I know whether or not I've got in to a uni in wales. Have you done the practice tests? The maths one is so hard !

You know now the applications are done through ucas are they still the same as gttr, in the way that one application goes to one provider at a time? or do they all get sent out at the same time?

Nope. The changes this year are that
a) the name has changed from gttr to utt
b) you now apply to multiple places at once if you wish, similar to how undergrad is done only you get three choices instead of five, no preference order

I believe that if you are rejected from all three you can then go on to apply to more places one at a time like last year, but I may have remembered this wrongly so don't rely on it.

Original post by Dragonfly07
I thought the applications were going to open in 1st November. That's today but I don't see any open applications!

It has changed to 21st Nov.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Nope. The changes this year are that
a) the name has changed from gttr to utt
b) you now apply to multiple places at once if you wish, similar to how undergrad is done only you get three choices instead of five, no preference order

I believe that if you are rejected from all three you can then go on to apply to more places one at a time like last year, but I may have remembered this wrongly so don't rely on it.

It has changed to 21st Nov.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't find out if I need to do it through UCAS or GTTR. do you have any idea?
Has anyone else noticed that you can now search for courses on the ucas website for pgce? I was told not until the 4th for searching and 21st for applying but I was just reading up on the application process and I found lists of courses for 2014 ?
Has anyone else noticed that you can now search for courses on the ucas website for pgce? I was told not until the 4th for searching and 21st for applying but I was just reading up on the application process and I found lists of courses for 2014 ?

Have you got a link? It still says search on the 21st for me, but I'm probably not looking in the right place.
Sure it's http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run
It says that courses can be added, I know a lot of the ones I wanted aren't on there yet and they are deffo running it next year.
Sure it's http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run
It says that courses can be added, I know a lot of the ones I wanted aren't on there yet and they are deffo running it next year.

Ah thanks, I was looking on UCAS not GTTR. Yeah, I think it must not be complete yet, at least I hope so otherwise I'd be having a panic attack now since all my choices aren't listed! Most of the things coming up for my school are schools direct.
Original post by Airfairy
Ah thanks, I was looking on UCAS not GTTR. Yeah, I think it must not be complete yet, at least I hope so otherwise I'd be having a panic attack now since all my choices aren't listed! Most of the things coming up for my school are schools direct.

Ahh I know ! I'm certain more will come up as my first choice is advertising places for 2014 but isn't listed yet. You have to be careful though, because I was really excited as this year there's more on my subject listed but as alternative routes like SD and SCITT but when I clicked on them they were actually only offering salaried route :frown: I have no idea when the full list will be up, I'm guessing by the 21st?
Reply 932
Original post by Dragonfly07
I can't find out if I need to do it through UCAS or GTTR. do you have any idea?

You apply through Ucas Teacher Training now, afaik GTTR is no longer in use (though above some people say they are able to search for courses on it... So perhaps the government has changed their mind about this too!).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for Primary PGCE - Do we select 3 different uni's AND a certain number of schools we want our placements to be at? Or do we just select our uni's and then if we get accepted the unis help us in finding placements at a later date?

Hope this makes sense! :\

Thanks guys x
Reply 934
Original post by womanonamission
I am applying for Primary PGCE - Do we select 3 different uni's AND a certain number of schools we want our placements to be at? Or do we just select our uni's and then if we get accepted the unis help us in finding placements at a later date?

Hope this makes sense! :\

Thanks guys x

You select up to three training choices. You could select three pgces at different unis, three school direct places, a mixture etc. You might choose a school direct place which is offered through a uni and also apply for a PGCE at that uni- it's up to you.

If you choose a uni based PGCE they organise you're placements with local schools. You will find our where they are etc when you start the pgce. Whereas with school direct routes you choose a specific school to train at, and they work alongside a uni to deliver the training (so in those cases you choose a school).

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if before starting PGCEs (Primary) there is work to do over the summer? I'm going to be in Uganda teaching and I was told that we might have things to do over the summer, in which case I can't apply this year!
Reply 936
Original post by ChelseyElla
Does anyone know if before starting PGCEs (Primary) there is work to do over the summer? I'm going to be in Uganda teaching and I was told that we might have things to do over the summer, in which case I can't apply this year!

I doubt it will be something which will stop you doing the course that year and also going to Uganda.

For my PGCE for example, we had a suggested reading list of which I read a few (like 3 or 4), they suggested we go to local places of interest for children, and we had to start a diary of children's books we had read and write 3 one page book reviews. We also had to create a 'magic box' which had items around a theme - could just be items relating to us like tickets, photos, jewellery etc.

Obviously that is specific to my uni but I would imagine the tasks at other unis would be similar. They aren't going to be asking you to write a huge essay or anything like that! It might be an idea to speak to your provider before you go (unless they've already sent you the info) so that you can
1. Ensure you give them any info they might ask for while you're out there.
2. Know any recommended reading or small tasks so you can take some books and pens/paper with you, if this will be possible (don't know about luggage limits and where you'll be staying etc).

xxxxx
Original post by kpwxx
I doubt it will be something which will stop you doing the course that year and also going to Uganda.

For my PGCE for example, we had a suggested reading list of which I read a few (like 3 or 4), they suggested we go to local places of interest for children, and we had to start a diary of children's books we had read and write 3 one page book reviews. We also had to create a 'magic box' which had items around a theme - could just be items relating to us like tickets, photos, jewellery etc.

Obviously that is specific to my uni but I would imagine the tasks at other unis would be similar. They aren't going to be asking you to write a huge essay or anything like that! It might be an idea to speak to your provider before you go (unless they've already sent you the info) so that you can
1. Ensure you give them any info they might ask for while you're out there.
2. Know any recommended reading or small tasks so you can take some books and pens/paper with you, if this will be possible (don't know about luggage limits and where you'll be staying etc).

xxxxx

Thank you that is helpful :smile: I won't really be contactable whilst I'm there so I'd need everything sorted beforehand. Unfortunately taking books and stuff is out of the question as I'm extremely limited to what I can take!
Reply 938
Original post by ChelseyElla
Thank you that is helpful :smile: I won't really be contactable whilst I'm there so I'd need everything sorted beforehand. Unfortunately taking books and stuff is out of the question as I'm extremely limited to what I can take!

I'm sure they will be understanding if you don't have time, many others will be working and juggling family life alongside that over the summer, so people won't be doing tonnes of prep. Plus, what you're doing will give you more to reflect on to do with teaching! So it's a worthwhile thing to be doing from that perspective.

Yeah, I'd call in or phone around a month before you go, so you can sort out everything and then you have some time to do a bit of casual reading. Like I said I only read a few books, and I chose the ones I was really interested in as I used that to guide me. I think I read Anita and Me and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (which I'd read before), read some (very few) bits of 2 textbooks and watched a documentary about a really tiny school in France. So it wasn't like intense reading and building of knowledge. It was just considering childhood and interesting things. You could also tailor it to your situation. So if they were, like my uni, to ask you to think about childhood, you could write down thoughts on your own childhood (or just think if no paper and pen).

xxx
Reply 939
Original post by kpwxx
I'm sure they will be understanding if you don't have time, many others will be working and juggling family life alongside that over the summer, so people won't be doing tonnes of prep. Plus, what you're doing will give you more to reflect on to do with teaching! So it's a worthwhile thing to be doing from that perspective.

Yeah, I'd call in or phone around a month before you go, so you can sort out everything and then you have some time to do a bit of casual reading. Like I said I only read a few books, and I chose the ones I was really interested in as I used that to guide me. I think I read Anita and Me and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (which I'd read before), read some (very few) bits of 2 textbooks and watched a documentary about a really tiny school in France. So it wasn't like intense reading and building of knowledge. It was just considering childhood and interesting things. You could also tailor it to your situation. So if they were, like my uni, to ask you to think about childhood, you could write down thoughts on your own childhood (or just think if no paper and pen).

xxx

I didn't even think of this! I've applied for camp america and paid my deposits etc so I'm ready to be placed. But getting placed obvs depends if a camp chooses to hire me. If I did get placed I'd be in america in the summer for 9 weeks from June and my latest date to get back would be 30th August (this will depend on if I get a place though could be earlier).. Do you think it'd be a problem? Like if I confirm a place on a PGCE (if I get one) and sort out student finance before June, and sort accommodation too. Should I tell the unis I'd be at camp over summer (obvs if I got a place for both?) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending