The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by Airfairy
So I'm reading a personal statement guide I printed off (yeah I'm only just writing it now - bad I know), and there's a section on entering time for course modules? I haven't heard of this, and I don't understand what it is or it's purpose? What are we supposed to put there? "percentage of time taken up by each module" - so is this over the whole year or only the semester? I have three taught modules this semester and my dissertation, so I guess that's 25% each, but then if it's spread over a year it's different.

Hey Airfairy- this bit is in the education section last time I just put in the credits E.g:

20.00 bones bodies burials
20.00 Rome to reformation
40.00 dissertation and so on. That seemed to work? I remember it had to add up but that was in education section. For the personal statement I didn't write % or anything just said a portion of my course was science related with modules such as blah blah. Hope this helps? as for the ps writing I've only just started writing mine too :smile: well editing my old one.
Original post by cutebat
Hey Airfairy- this bit is in the education section last time I just put in the credits E.g:

40.00 dissertation and so on. That seemed to work? I remember it had to add up but that was in education section. For the personal statement I didn't write % or anything just said a portion of my course was science related with modules such as blah blah. Hope this helps? as for the ps writing I've only just started writing mine too :smile: well editing my old one.

Guys is that only for Secondary? I am doing Primary and am so lost on what you guys are talking about!
Reply 1062
Original post by womanonamission
Guys is that only for Secondary? I am doing Primary and am so lost on what you guys are talking about!

That was for primary and secondary.. on the application form for the GTTR and now I guess UCAS it asks for the breakdown of your degree in modules and the percentage of the degree which was on this. I just put my transcript down with the credits and that added up, I think thats what the question was about? I may have misunderstood too and have confused the situation further apologies in advance
Original post by cutebat
That was for primary and secondary.. on the application form for the GTTR and now I guess UCAS it asks for the breakdown of your degree in modules and the percentage of the degree which was on this. I just put my transcript down with the credits and that added up, I think thats what the question was about? I may have misunderstood too and have confused the situation further apologies in advance

Oh I see your talking about the application and not the PS. So nervous about it all, time is running out!

Thanks for clearing that up for me :smile: xx
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
Thanks. I was planning on trying to get some. I guess I'll just go old school and send out letters to schools.

Even as a male, you need 10 days minimum experience at least. It's a requirement set by the government rather than the universities so unfortunately it's not at their discretion. 10 days shouldn't be too hard to get though, and could be really useful for telling you if this is really what you want to do. Since your degree is not in a national curriculum subject or related to education, I'm guessing you only decided to go into teaching recently. That's not a bad thing, it just means that you should spend as much time in schools as possible to decide if you are certain about this. :smile:

You might still get an interview without it, but you'd be obliged to meet the required 10 days before the beginning of your PGCE.
Original post by cutebat

Thank you :smile: So do you list modules from all three years, or just third year? I'm sure I'll work it out. Do you put your marks down anywhere?

Personal statement writing is hard!
Original post by alabelle
Even as a male, you need 10 days minimum experience at least. It's a requirement set by the government rather than the universities so unfortunately it's not at their discretion. 10 days shouldn't be too hard to get though, and could be really useful for telling you if this is really what you want to do. Since your degree is not in a national curriculum subject or related to education, I'm guessing you only decided to go into teaching recently. That's not a bad thing, it just means that you should spend as much time in schools as possible to decide if you are certain about this. :smile:

You might still get an interview without it, but you'd be obliged to meet the required 10 days before the beginning of your PGCE.

I think there may be some difference between the requirements for the PGDE that we have in Scotland and the PGCE that is done elsewhere(?) as none of the programmes I'm looking at (Aberdeen, Dundee, and Edinburgh) mention a requirement for classroom experience, although Dundee does state it's typically required and certainly desirable. In any case I agree that it's a good idea to get as much experience as I can.

Bit odd, but this isn't really a sudden decision; it's just that my first choice isn't possible any longer and in reassessing my situation I've decided that this is one that I'd still be really happy to do.
I'm really struggling with the paragraph in the PS about what I've gained from my work exp. Weird thing is, I've been reading loads of examples and none of them seem to say much about it - at most a sentence!

I'm struggling for room too, which I didn't envision! I thought I'd struggle for words but I'm on 47 lines now and there's a lot I haven't said :/ Because I'm doing a politics degree and applying for an R.E PGCE a lot of my room is me trying to convince them I'm capable and my degree is sort of related!
I'm really struggling with the paragraph in the PS about what I've gained from my work exp. Weird thing is, I've been reading loads of examples and none of them seem to say much about it - at most a sentence!

I'm struggling for room too, which I didn't envision! I thought I'd struggle for words but I'm on 47 lines now and there's a lot I haven't said :/ Because I'm doing a politics degree and applying for an R.E PGCE a lot of my room is me trying to convince them I'm capable and my degree is sort of related!

I've chosen to say two separate things about work experience in my personal statement;

a) example of what a teacher did, followed by how i noticed it was useful, linked to skills i have learned through my degree that would help me do similar stuff

b) example of something i did, what happened afterwards, and how my actions helped the situation

I hope that's not too unclear... I can explain it better if you like. :smile:

I'm having similar problems with room too, as my degree is a bit unusual. It's Educational Studies, which has clear links to teaching, but I could do with extra room to convince them I'm capable in the National Curriculum subjects too. It's frustrating not having enough lines to say everything!
Reply 1069
Thank you :smile: So do you list modules from all three years, or just third year? I'm sure I'll work it out. Do you put your marks down anywhere?

Personal statement writing is hard!

Yea I just basically listed my transcript from the three years- I don't know if it will change this year but the last two times I applied there was loads of spaces and you just list titles of modules and then the credits and I think you might have to put the percentage obtained but I don't remember that bit just remember the credits because I had to make sure I put the .00 after each one or it wouldn't recognise it. I know I thought it would be easier for me this year using my old statement but I'm changing it completely and now I have another role to add I'm struggling to fit it all in too. Still we will be glad we did it now so it is ready to go when the application opens. Just saw your applying for RE and have a politics degree- thats interesting. Have you looked at the subject enhancement courses for RE? x
I've chosen to say two separate things about work experience in my personal statement;

a) example of what a teacher did, followed by how i noticed it was useful, linked to skills i have learned through my degree that would help me do similar stuff

b) example of something i did, what happened afterwards, and how my actions helped the situation

I hope that's not too unclear... I can explain it better if you like. :smile:

I'm having similar problems with room too, as my degree is a bit unusual. It's Educational Studies, which has clear links to teaching, but I could do with extra room to convince them I'm capable in the National Curriculum subjects too. It's frustrating not having enough lines to say everything!

Nah, that helps a lot! I've redone it and I think it looks a bit better now. However...I've finished it with 61 lines!! And I don't know how to narrow it down, so I've sent it to my careers service for advice. :/
I guess with your degree, you'll do a lot of essay writing? So you could link in with English seeing as you probs need a good standard to do a lot of writing, etc. I don't actually know what the degree entails enough to link it in more.

Original post by cutebat
Yea I just basically listed my transcript from the three years- I don't know if it will change this year but the last two times I applied there was loads of spaces and you just list titles of modules and then the credits and I think you might have to put the percentage obtained but I don't remember that bit just remember the credits because I had to make sure I put the .00 after each one or it wouldn't recognise it. I know I thought it would be easier for me this year using my old statement but I'm changing it completely and now I have another role to add I'm struggling to fit it all in too. Still we will be glad we did it now so it is ready to go when the application opens. Just saw your applying for RE and have a politics degree- thats interesting. Have you looked at the subject enhancement courses for RE? x

Right, cool, thanks! Saves time faffing about on the day when I get all confused! I have looked at the SKE courses, in fact I did one in the summer. It was really useful but I don't know if it's enough for them, but I'm totally willing to do more if they want. I wanted to do open uni modules but they were so expensive! I just can't afford it :frown: so if they tell me I'll need to do that, I don't think I can.
Nah, that helps a lot! I've redone it and I think it looks a bit better now. However...I've finished it with 61 lines!! And I don't know how to narrow it down, so I've sent it to my careers service for advice. :/
I guess with your degree, you'll do a lot of essay writing? So you could link in with English seeing as you probs need a good standard to do a lot of writing, etc. I don't actually know what the degree entails enough to link it in more.

Ah, that's good. :smile: I'm sure your careers service will be able to advise you further. At least you have a first draft to go off!

Yep, lots of essay writing. I did A Levels in Psychology, English Literature, and French (AS Maths too), which at least have relevance to the National Curriculum, but I don't have the room to explain this! I'm hoping they'll notice this themselves in my education information but I know we're meant to discuss it in the personal statement. It's frustrating how little room we have, isn't it! :tongue: To think my undergraduate personal statement was only 2,000 characters...
Reply 1072

I just thought about what I learnt in terms of what I observed e.g. The teachers role how she managed behaviour etc, and how the children learnt. And then stated what I actually did and what I gained from it or enhanced (skills) e.g. Patience and understanding skills. And stated what I enjoyed about the experience. I think although it is important you state how your degree is related to an RE PGCE, I think you need to have an equal balance to talk about your work experience. You could always just carry on writing and then cut it down later or get a careers advisor to read it through. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone putting anything about "current education issues" in their P.S? I have put it in, but as I'm over the limit I'm thinking to take it out...I'm sure they're going to ask about it in the interviews anyway? Or do you think we need to put it in to ensure we even get an interview?

Thanks in advance. X
Original post by Descartes93
Is anyone putting anything about "current education issues" in their P.S? I have put it in, but as I'm over the limit I'm thinking to take it out...I'm sure they're going to ask about it in the interviews anyway? Or do you think we need to put it in to ensure we even get an interview?

Thanks in advance. X

Cut it out if you don't have space. I didn't put anything in mine about current issues, it's more an interview question.
is it worth mentioning that i am doing my dissertation on education reform? Just thought it may show an active interest in education policy.

I don't think it really matters the time spent on modules, my lecturer recommends talking about your favourite modules, as the percentage thing is if your doing joint honours or if your degree isn't directly the subject you wanna teach. You don't have to mention your dissertation I haven't this year but last year I mentioned it and I used it as the topic for my interview presentation.
Original post by Descartes93

Thanks in advance. X

Nah you don't need to mention it in your statent. But keep an eye on these issues as they may ask you about them during your interview, either your opinion or to wrte something on it.
Original post by JosephineE
I don't think it really matters the time spent on modules, my lecturer recommends talking about your favourite modules, as the percentage thing is if your doing joint honours or if your degree isn't directly the subject you wanna teach. You don't have to mention your dissertation I haven't this year but last year I mentioned it and I used it as the topic for my interview presentation.

I asked more because the guide I was reading made it out like we don't have a choice whether to put time spent on modules down.

I've ended up mentioning my dissertation, mainly to show interest, however I'm a bit worried because I know they will ask about it at interview, but I don't start proper research until February, up until then it's just plans and bibliography so I won't really have much to say! :colondollar:
I asked more because the guide I was reading made it out like we don't have a choice whether to put time spent on modules down.

I've ended up mentioning my dissertation, mainly to show interest, however I'm a bit worried because I know they will ask about it at interview, but I don't start proper research until February, up until then it's just plans and bibliography so I won't really have much to say! :colondollar:

Am I right in thinking you're doing the lit review first, then some research in January? That's how we have to do it... all I would do is talk about what your reading is telling you so far and what that has led you to investigate. :smile: Your interest in your dissertation topic will shine through and put you in a good light! I don't think you necessarily have to have it finished by then, I know I might not have even started my research til after interviews.
Am I right in thinking you're doing the lit review first, then some research in January? That's how we have to do it... all I would do is talk about what your reading is telling you so far and what that has led you to investigate. :smile: Your interest in your dissertation topic will shine through and put you in a good light! I don't think you necessarily have to have it finished by then, I know I might not have even started my research til after interviews.

Yeah pretty much. We don't have any taught modules next semester so it's just focused on doing the dissertation really. Yeah I'll just have to explain I've only done lit review and plan. The deadline is end of May so of course I;m not going to have it done :rolleyes: I know some people who's deadline was March, but I guess it would feel good to have it out of the way.

Latest

Trending

Trending