The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
is it worth mentioning that i am doing my dissertation on education reform? Just thought it may show an active interest in education policy.

i'm doing my disseration on the national curriculum and have mentioned it in mine :smile:
Original post by swarfliam
i'm doing my disseration on the national curriculum and have mentioned it in mine :smile:

Cool, thanks! I nearly did it on the national curriculum too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey,

I just wanted to ask what books you are using to revise for the skills test?
Reply 1083
HI,
As a current PGCE student, I just wanted to quickly give you some advice and save you some unnecessary stress ( I am speaking from a Secondary English perspective)
- Do not overload yourself with educational policies as in my interview they were not mentioned once!
- Do not try to memorise national curriculum stuff - You just need to have a fair idea
- Personal Statements are a big part but do not try to fit in educational policy for the sake of it. Make it about you and your experiences. Mention being a reflective person as it will be a key aspect of your PGCE!

Lastly, before you become obsessed about the PGCE and being accepted on to the course (LIke I did!) take some time to truly analyse your options; the course will be one of the most gruelling tasks of your life. I currently want to quit but I am determined to peservere as I worked so hard to get my place. Despite understanding that many people talked about their 'PGCE hell' I deluded myself to think I would cope with it ... Evidently I am not and I do not want anyone else to suffer and feel physically sick on account they didn't think about their realistic strengths.
Good luck guys -
Original post by pg234
Lastly, before you become obsessed about the PGCE and being accepted on to the course (LIke I did!) take some time to truly analyse your options; the course will be one of the most gruelling tasks of your life. I currently want to quit but I am determined to peservere as I worked so hard to get my place. Despite understanding that many people talked about their 'PGCE hell' I deluded myself to think I would cope with it ... Evidently I am not and I do not want anyone else to suffer and feel physically sick on account they didn't think about their realistic strengths.
Good luck guys -

Thanks for the insider information! I have to say, I spent the final semester of my degree doing and handing in almost 90% of the work for the whole year. It was tough and incredibly stressful, but manageable and in the end it probably made me better at producing good work with short notice.

If the PGDE is similar then I think I'm going to need a really good routine to de-stress! I'd be applying to the primary education programme, but any tips?
Reply 1085
Original post by amcgrath
I am applying for a PGCE in 2014 (2nd time) in Drama, and was just wondering if anyone else is also applying to do a PGCE in Drama and also does anyone know if/when student finance are funding for the PGCE Drama course?

Thank you
x

Im applying for drama! Its also my second time. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I really need some advice. I want to teach English at secondary level. I have a law degree, obtained in 2008. Since then I have been working in a number of various jobs. I have now decided that I would love to teach English. So far, i have started work experience in the English department, at a local school. I have the following A'levels, Law, Religious Studies and Government and Politics.

What chance do I have of getting onto a Pgce or a Schools Direct place?

I am from the Bradford area, so if anyone knows of any local providers or further info, please help.

Emma
Original post by Emma786123
Hi guys,

I really need some advice. I want to teach English at secondary level. I have a law degree, obtained in 2008. Since then I have been working in a number of various jobs. I have now decided that I would love to teach English. So far, i have started work experience in the English department, at a local school. I have the following A'levels, Law, Religious Studies and Government and Politics.

What chance do I have of getting onto a Pgce or a Schools Direct place?

I am from the Bradford area, so if anyone knows of any local providers or further info, please help.

Emma

Hello :smile:

I'm going to be honest and say that your chances of getting on a secondary English PGCE aren't very high. English is one of the most competitive PGCEs, and it will generally be required that your degree is 50% in the subject you want to to teach. Not only this but you don't have an English A-Level either, so you can't use that to your advantage. You could e-mail some admissions departments at different unis and see what they say, but when they have so many English graduates, it will be hard to compete without a degree or A-Level. Like I said, I'd advise speaking to some admissions departments in your area. They will most likely tell you if it's not worth applying.

Other more successful options into teaching for yourself may be primary, FE (the PCET) or possibly citizenship or R.S.
Hey. I was wondering if anybody could help me! Im thinking of applying for the PGCE COURSE FOR 2014 but I need to resit my English Language as I have a D at the moment. Any ideas about fee, places in the west midlands (Birmingham ideally).

Thanks
Original post by teachteachteach
Hey. I was wondering if anybody could help me! Im thinking of applying for the PGCE COURSE FOR 2014 but I need to resit my English Language as I have a D at the moment. Any ideas about fee, places in the west midlands (Birmingham ideally).

Thanks

I think that you should contact the providers you want to apply to and ask them if you can apply before you get the qualification. I know some of them say that you should have the necessary GCSEs prior to application.
I retook my GCSEs about 5 years ago and it cost me around £300 for the course and just short of £100 for the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Bear in mind that most PGCEs will cover more than just key stage one so you will have to be happy to do others too even if they aren't your favourite.

Was it just the ability that you didn't like? If so, remember that reception have just started and many of them will be new to being in education. By the end of the year it will be completely different (maybe take a look at "Development matters in the eyfs" which lists typical development for a child, especially the "early learning goals" for each area as these are where children are "expected" to be at the end of reception.

On the other hand if its the structure that put you off (based on Chns interests, play based etc) then, while I'd encourage you to look in to why that structure is used (as it can also be great for key stage 1) early years may not be for you.

Good luck with your KS1 experience, they are lovely and after early years seem so grown up!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, I know that, and I'm totally fine with doing other year groups but I'm pretty sure that I'm interested in that age group. Also, it really wasn't that I didn't like those years, as I really did. If anything, it was more that there were aspects I liked from each of those years and that I felt that year 1/2 would be a better compromise. But as I said, I haven't yet had a placement involving year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure yet.

I could very well end up preferring Reception, there was a lot that I enjoyed when working with them. I think it was just that there was very little actual 'teaching' when it came to conveying facts and information, but as you say, I was with them just as they'd started school and the first two weeks are probably very different to the last ones. I'm actually hoping to go back to the same class later in the year to see how they've progressed.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
As someone else said, you'll have to do a placement in the previous or following key stage, no matter your preference, so don't go in thinking you can pick and choose the specific year group. I'm training just now and while my main placement will be in KS2, a) I have no control over WHERE in KS2, and b) I'm in year one just now for my first assessed placement, regardless of my personal preferences.

So even if your final placement was going to be in Y1/2, you would also have to do a placement in either early years/nursery or KS2.

While working you also don't always have control over exactly where you end up. As staffing needs change you may well be moved to a different year group than that which you originally joined the school to teach.

Oh no, that's not what I meant- I know I can't choose when on the actual PGCE, but I intend to get a couple more weeks of experience in and so far I've been given some level of choice about where I do those placements.

I would probably be perfectly happy with either Reception or Y3/4, the years I've had placements with so far, but I'd like to have an idea of my 'preferred' age group before I start the PGCE.
Original post by pg234
HI,
As a current PGCE student, I just wanted to quickly give you some advice and save you some unnecessary stress ( I am speaking from a Secondary English perspective)
- Do not overload yourself with educational policies as in my interview they were not mentioned once!
- Do not try to memorise national curriculum stuff - You just need to have a fair idea
- Personal Statements are a big part but do not try to fit in educational policy for the sake of it. Make it about you and your experiences. Mention being a reflective person as it will be a key aspect of your PGCE!

Good luck guys -

Hi there,

Thank you for your advice! I will certainly take it on board!

This may sound like an awful question, but can I ask what is so stressful about the PGCE because I have heard this so many times and I'm panicking.

Is it the sheer amount of work? The lack of time?

I look forward to hearing from you x
Reply 1093
Original post by kuroshokora
Oh yeah, I know that, and I'm totally fine with doing other year groups but I'm pretty sure that I'm interested in that age group. Also, it really wasn't that I didn't like those years, as I really did. If anything, it was more that there were aspects I liked from each of those years and that I felt that year 1/2 would be a better compromise. But as I said, I haven't yet had a placement involving year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure yet.

I could very well end up preferring Reception, there was a lot that I enjoyed when working with them. I think it was just that there was very little actual 'teaching' when it came to conveying facts and information, but as you say, I was with them just as they'd started school and the first two weeks are probably very different to the last ones. I'm actually hoping to go back to the same class later in the year to see how they've progressed.

Yeah, visiting again will be lovely! I always find as well that the more I get to know individual children the more I realise they can actually do ^^

xxx
Original post by womanonamission
Hi there,

Thank you for your advice! I will certainly take it on board!

This may sound like an awful question, but can I ask what is so stressful about the PGCE because I have heard this so many times and I'm panicking.

Is it the sheer amount of work? The lack of time?

I look forward to hearing from you x

The sheer amount of things you have to consider when planning just one lesson.
Planning successful and useful lessons is pretty hard.
The filing and constant paperwork you need to keep on top of - alongside the uni assignments.
The exhaustion you feel when constantly trying to reach targets, show you're progressing and getting to grips with planning etc.
The individual problems that arise with children, especially if you are assigned a form. In the last week we had at least 10 serious issues arise in two days.
Reply 1095
Hi everyone
I'm thinking of applying for pgce english and at the moment trying to put together my personal statrment. Does anyone have any good tips for constructing an outstanding personal statement? I know what to put in it but structuring and making it stand out is what I'm finding the hardest
would be great for some tips
thanks
Does anyone have a link to the list of institutions that will be opening on the 21st, I want to see if the list has updated since I saw it last.
Yeah I second the above query. People keep talking about seeing what's on the list and what's not but I can't find anything anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, everyone! I am looking to apply for PGCE Primary, with Derby, Nottingham Trent and Leicester being my choices at the moment. Just sat here revising for my numeracy skills test, anyone booked/sat their tests already?

Also, I was under the impression that all applications opened on 21st...
Original post by wildrover
Does anyone have a link to the list of institutions that will be opening on the 21st, I want to see if the list has updated since I saw it last.

Original post by Airfairy
Yeah I second the above query. People keep talking about seeing what's on the list and what's not but I can't find anything anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

Latest

Trending

Trending