Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The gradient of a curve is 6x^2 + 12x^1/2. The curve passes through the points (4,10). Find the equation of the curve. What would i do from start to finish ?

Also another question when differentiation this x - 3/x^2, Would do i do with the 3/x^2?

(Original post by Timmy12321)
    The gradient of a curve is 6x^2 + 12x^1/2. The curve passes through the points (4,10). Find the equation of the curve. What would i do from start to finish ?
    If you know the gradient, you can integrate it to find the equation of the curve. When you integrate, you will get an arbitrary constant C, which you should work out using the fact that the curve passes through the point (4,10).

Also another question when differentiation this x - 3/x^2, Would do i do with the 3/x^2?
    Writing \dfrac{3}{x^2} = 3x^{-2} should help.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have trouble with these kinds of problems. He's right, writing \dfrac{3}{x^2} = 3x^{-2} should help but in order to understand why, you should probably re-visit Indices from Core 1. The main thing you need to know though is that \dfrac{1}{x} = x^{-1} and so \dfrac{1}{x^2} = x^{-2} The only difference now is when you have a numerator but if you think about \dfrac{1}{x^2} = 1x^{-2} then it is easy to work out.

ReputationRep:

This is an integration question. 6x^2 + 12x^(1/2) becomes 2x^3 + 8x^(3/2) + c = y. Remember, add one to the power, divide by the new power. To find the full equation, sub in your given points, (4,10) 2(4)^3+8(4)(2)+c=10 which becomes 128+64+c=10 c=-182

Therefore the answer is 2x^3 + 8x^(3/2) - 182 = y

The second question is the same as asking for dy/dx of x-3x^(-2). The reverse rule to above applies, nax^(n-1) is the differential. So dy/dx=1+6/(x^3) or 1+6x^(-3). Because -3x x -2 = 6x -2-1=-3

Or at least I hope I'm right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, one last question what about this differentiation 20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, one last question what about this differentiation 20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2
    I think 80x^3 - 9x^(-2.5), but don't take my word for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    20 x^4 + 6x^-3/2

dy/dx = 80x^3 - 9x^-5/2

ReputationRep:

You're given f'(x). Integrate and you will get f(x), but remember there is a constant that needs finding. f(4)=10 and now find the constant.

I swear this a C1 question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angryification)
    You're given f'(x). Integrate and you will get f(x), but remember there is a constant that needs finding. f(4)=10 and now find the constant.

I swear this a C1 question.
    It became a C2 question the minute you were given coordinates technically. Before that it is C1 indefinite integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical_Smile01)
    It became a C2 question the minute you were given coordinates technically. Before that it is C1 indefinite integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can be given coordinates in C1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angryification)
    You can be given coordinates in C1.
    Depends what exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical_Smile01)
    Depends what exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think OCR don't do it in C1 and keep finite integration to C2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.