Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You often hear the argument thrown about, that homosexuality cannot be a choice, as why would anyone wish to put themselves is such a position of stigmatisation and abuse.

Can the argument not likewise be used for other minorities such as the goth subculture. Is it really reasonable to say that someone can genetically be a goth? That their DNA has lead them to wear the black clothes and white makeup that are the source of their marginalisation?

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with being a goth? :?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some people just like to be different. It can make people feel special to be part of a group that they believe is set apart from the rest of society. Gives you a feeling of uniqueness and lets you stretch your rebelliousness.

Plus they have eye liner to diiiieee for!:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaiden)
    What's wrong with being a goth? :?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who said there was anything wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Some people just like to be different. It can make people feel special to be part of a group that they believe is set apart from the rest of society. Gives you a feeling of uniqueness and lets you stretch your rebelliousness.

Plus they have eye liner to diiiieee for!:mmm:
    Can the same not be then said for homosexuals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telephone)
    No because a goth can just change their clothes and gay people can't just make themselves attracted to the opposite sex.

Just like a straight person can't just be gay whenever they feel like it, a gay person can't just be straight whenever they want.

Their either one or the other, or if you're bi then whatever you wanna be. As for those who are gay but then die their hair pink and act stupid - then yes that can be said for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    No because a goth can just change their clothes and gay people can't just make themselves attracted to the opposite sex.

Just like a straight person can't just be gay whenever they feel like it, a gay person can't just be straight whenever they want.

Their either one or the other, or if you're bi then whatever you wanna be. As for those who are gay but then die their hair pink and act stupid - then yes that can be said for them.
    But why don't goths just do so and save themselves the trouble. Your argument assumes that homosexuality is genetic. Whereas I was arguing from a standpoint that we assume that we don't know for certain. (Which is true, we haven't proven the genetics of homosexuality).

ReputationRep:
    They're only clothes.

You could ask the same question of anyone who does anything slightly different to everyone else.

Why do people get tattoos?
    Why do people get piercings?
    Why do people buy paul's boutique jackets?
    Why do people wear Burkas?
    Why do people dress like american rappers?
    Why do people wear camo gear if they're not in the army etc?
    Why do people get plastic surgery?
    Why do people shave their heads?
    Why do people grow dreadlocks?

What I'm trying to say is your question is unanswerable, not all goths dress they way they do for exactly the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    But why don't goths just do so and save themselves the trouble. Your argument assumes that homosexuality is genetic. Whereas I was arguing from a standpoint that we assume that we don't know for certain. (Which is true, we haven't proven the genetics of homosexuality).
    I don't know why they don't because I'm not a goth lol, they should though.

If homosexuality isn't something you're born with, then why can't straight people just turn gay whenever they want?

ReputationRep:
    people think differently, and humans are complex.

being goth doesn't hurt anybody, so I don't really care who is such or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't know why they don't because I'm not a goth lol, they should though.

If homosexuality isn't something you're born with, then why can't straight people just turn gay whenever they want?
    I dont think heterosexuality being genetic does not imply that homosexuality is. Of course one can argue that I'm assuming that homosexuality is genetic but then you have to question what other purpose the internal reproductive organs serve?

ReputationRep:
    Because goth women have the fittest, sexiest clothes on the planet. Do an image search for "sexy goth" sans quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    They're only clothes.

You could ask the same question of anyone who does anything slightly different to everyone else.

Why do people get tattoos?
    Why do people get piercings?
    Why do people buy paul's boutique jackets?
    Why do people wear Burkas?
    Why do people dress like american rappers?
    Why do people wear camo gear if they're not in the army etc?
    Why do people get plastic surgery?
    Why do people shave their heads?
    Why do people grow dreadlocks?

What I'm trying to say is your question is unanswerable, not all goths dress they way they do for exactly the same reasons.
    You are right. However, can anyone reasonably claim that their reason is DNA?

ReputationRep:
    You often hear the argument thrown about, that homosexuality cannot be a choice, as why would anyone wish to put themselves is such a position of stigmatisation and abuse.

Can the argument not likewise be used for other minorities such as the goth subculture. Is it really reasonable to say that someone can genetically be a goth? That their DNA has lead them to wear the black clothes and white makeup that are the source of their marginalisation?
    What's wrong with liking a certain subculture? You shouldn't not do something just because everyone else thinks otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    People become goths as a result of an overabundance of cynical nihilism which often comes upon people in their teenage years. It's a natural reaction to take comfort in despair, essentially giving yourself over to nihilism so that you don't have to work through complex philosophical and social issues. You react to the fear of the abyss by claiming to embrace it, really. A somewhat juvenile but perfectly understandable reaction.

(Of course, you aren't a real goth until you sack Rome and convert to Arianism).

ReputationRep:
    You are right. However, can anyone reasonably claim that their reason is DNA?
    It would be difficult, I don't think it would be totally unreasonable to suggest that genes can make you more or less likely to conform to societies norms.

I think you might be able to suggest people are more likely to to be different to the majority as a result of their genes but you can't suggest they're goths because of their genes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The argument isn't to do with whether it's genetic, it was about it not being a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    What's wrong with liking a certain subculture? You shouldn't not do something just because everyone else thinks otherwise.
    Where in my comments did I mention or suggest that I have an issue with diversity or homosexuality? My argument is simply that the idea that no one would choose to be homosexual, thus it must be genetic, is a weak one. Something does not have to be genetic to be accepted. It's not as though it is obligatory to oppress someone for their choice, so whilst there is no conclusive scientific evidence to suggest either way, why is there the feeling of such a need to attribute everything to genetics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    The argument isn't to do with whether it's genetic, it was about it not being a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what is exactly the cause of something that is not a choice?

ReputationRep:
    Not all homosexuals wear eye liner.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.