Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and have a few questions. I am currently considering going back into full time higher education as a mature student but I would like to know anything is salvageable from an incomplete degree that I was previously studying.

Way back in 2005 I started a degree (BA), but wasn't really in the right frame of mind to be doing it. After repeating my 2nd year I ended up dropping out right before the end, because I hadn't completed my final project... and I've been kicking myself since.

I wondered if any one knows whether I can use the credits from my 1st year/s of study for another course, or if i could pick up where I left off? I don't know if too much time has passed for this to be a possibility.

Is it worth contacting the college to see what they say? If so would any one know about the terminology for what I need to ask them (Eg credit transfer, academic records?)

Many thanks

HRF

ReputationRep:
    You should contact the college/university and ask for your transcript, which will show how many credits you earned and at what level. You may be able to request a certificate for the first year you completed successfully equivalent to level 4 diploma, but don't do this before you have checked out any ELQ and student finance implications. The term for transferable credits is Credit Accumlation and Transfer Scheme, also know as CATS points.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that another university will accept all of your existing credits and allow you to start a course with advancement (ie be exempt from modules or academic year). It will very much depend on whether or not the subjects you studied are relevant to the new course. Your other issue is that you haven't studied formally at level 3 or better for more than 5 years. Many undergraduate courses require evidence of recent study. But some places may be more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    It would be at your new university/department's discretion - email them and ask!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do would be ask the Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice, it's a great help. I will contact the universiy regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Not sure if I can post a follow up question? But I have contacted the university and received my transcript. I have a total of 225 credits, just 15 short of graduating and obtaining my foundation degree.

Would 225 credits be enough to be awarded a Diploma of Higher Education?With regards to Dip HE, if I were to be awared one, would that be enought to get myself on to a top up degree course?

I know it is highly unlikely but does anyone know if after this amount of time there would be any options to try and gain the remaining 15 credits?

Once again thank you for your previous responses, I have been feeling a bit lost in my current line of employment and feel I need to do something about it.

HRF

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.