Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just turned down an interview for a job today. This would have been the third interview for a position that probably paid less than $60k/yr. I did the phone interview and did well. They brought me in for a face to face interview with the two managers I'd be reporting to. I had to take time off from my job to make this happen. Now they called me today and wanted to set up another interview. Really?!?! How many frickin' interviews do you need to figure out who to hire for this job where you're surely going to low ball me on salary anyway? Why can't you just set up back to back interviews on the same day? No, you'd rather waste people's valuable time, who would have to take time off of work to meet your stringent hiring practices. To the employers that run this inefficiently, get it together.

Anyway, I withdrew my name because I have moved across country. I would have considered taking the job if they were ready to offer it to me now. However, I'm not interested in accepting a job with a company that is going to have little to no regard for my time.

ReputationRep:
    You sound very arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't $60k/yr really good?

Right now where so many people are unemployed and desperately in need of a job, surely you're just happy they even asked you?

ReputationRep:
    i do not know if you are in uk or us.

if you are in uk , let me tell you something, if you are a graduate without any extensive work experiences you are not getting 60K a year.

again even you are in US, you are not getting 60K USD for a graudate without work experiences as well.

to be honest, if you are studying computer science like me, doing programming, backend server development. You got a Master degree means absolutely nothing !

can you sync a online webshop with their own business in door CRM system? no, why, coz degree means nothing in compute science.

I personall graudate with master of distinction degree from st andrews, and second master focurs on Open Source Development in Oxford university, I felt i am good, but we I acutrally go into work, i realise that I am nothing compare to thouse people who have actual working experience.

Because the UK has too many graduates and too less jobs and very very graduate jobs, no days the graudate employer look for graudate has working experence, for example in term, balbalbal

the best advise that i can give it to you is, find the field on what you want to do ! Software development has many different bench, and study for it at home and at the same time looking for small companys as well as graduate jobs.

if you are lucky you can find a job around 24-27K in london, and 20-25k outside london, if you are not very lucy, you can find a job around 18-22k outside london.

again, let me remind you, please do not aim too high, in computer science field a master degree means nothing, no one will pay 60kUSD or GBP to hire a graudate to do jobs as they knwo nothing

ReputationRep:
    He may not necessarily be referring to a graduate job. From what I've read/heard, the employment situation for people with more experience in IT is a bit different - it can sometimes be hard to find people with the relevant experience required so there's not always as much competition for jobs among those who are qualified for it.

ReputationRep:
    If the position is in New York or Silicon valley, then yes, 60k/year is a joke, however, if you are a recent graduate and was interviewed in some other part of the USA, then it is reasonable salary. Also, welcome to the world, dude, I'd like to see you coping with 3-6 interviews you have to plow through in Google, Amazon and similar companies. For me, many interviews would be a delight and a reason to show my abilities even if I'm not hired. They give you hard and cool problems to solve and you meet many smart people. Also, the more interviews you attend, the higher is your ability to sell yourself and negotiate.

I would only decline a job is it not a good fit for me and the company. The first priority for me is a job where you are improving constantly. You must become very good at programming fast because later, it will be harder to get work in more experienced position if all you did is 3 years experience in maintaining another business apps set. :}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.