Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it illegal to take a trip to your local pond/lake, take a duck home and eat it? Restaurants serve duck right? So why can't we just go and 'hunt' our own food?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    haha, i like the thinking in this.
    I suppose it would be the same as going to a field and picking the crops and taking them home. I don't think it would be allowed. If you can't feed them (some lakes/ponds have signs about this) then i guess you wouldn't be able to take them either. And don't they belong to the council etc anyway?

ReputationRep:
    well resturants get their duck from farms that do ducks

By UK law it states
    England, Wales and Scotland 1st September - 20th February - Below the mean high water mark. Note duck and goose species can only be shot, below mean high water, after 31st January

though some places dont allow you to shoot on christmas day or sundays and are protected.

This stateshow you are allowed to shoot them

A double-barrelled 12 bore is a suitable all-round shotgun for wildfowling. If your fieldcraft is good you can be very successful with a standard 70mm (2 ¾”) chambered gun and cartridge. Traditionally however, wildfowlers have often preferred a 76mm (3”) chambered gun which enables them to shoot heavier loads (more pellets in the pattern).
    Many wildfowlers now choose to use an 89mm (3 ½”) chambered shotgun, in either double-barrelled or, more commonly, semi-automatic forms. This type of gun is designed to handle large steel pellets in modern wildfowling loads (provided it is steel shot proved).
    Big-bore guns, such as 10, 8 and 4 bore shotguns, are also capable of handling large shot loads effectively, although for some they can be cumbersome, and, indeed, sometimes a burden.

But you cannot do the following

number of methods of killing or taking wild birds are prohibited. These include gin, spring, leg and pole traps, snares, nets, electrical scaring devices, poisonous substances, bows or crossbows, explosives (other than firearm ammunition), artificial light, mirror or dazzling devices, devices for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting, automatic or semi-automatic weapon (unless it is incapable of holding more than 2 rounds in the magazine), or shotgun with an internal diameter at muzzle more than 1 3/4 inches.
    The use of sound recordings and decoys of live birds tethered, blinded or maimed is illegal. It is also an offence to cause or permit such methods to be used.
    It is an offence to use any mechanically propelled vehicle - including boats - in immediate pursuit of a wild bird to kill or take it.

ReputationRep:
    Reckon Mike covered it. (Although I can't see why the only method of legal hunting seems to be shooting - surely snares / bows are if anything safer and / or more humane than a badly aimed shot?).

I don't think you can go and get a duck from your local pond (at least not without upsetting a lot of small children), but you can certainly get things like wild pheasants during the hunting season. It's not an easy or cheap way of getting food though - guns cost a lot and plucking and preparing birds is extremely messy.

Oh, and you can't take swans because they belong to her Majesty

ReputationRep:
    courteosy of BASC- british association of shooting and conservation
    http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-p...ildfowling.cfm

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.