Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry if a thread like this already exists - I'd been searching high and low without any luck :unimpressed:

Basically I'm looking to buy an iPad, to replace my bulky laptop and maximise space when I'm revising. Therefore I only plan on using it to view PDFs, Word documents - basically textual content, apart from the occasional YouTube/iPlayer visits...

Question is, is it worth the premium buying an iPad 4 or am I better off saving some money and opting for the 3rd Gen?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    Hi guys, sorry if a thread like this already exists - I'd been searching high and low without any luck :unimpressed:

Basically I'm looking to buy an iPad, to replace my bulky laptop and maximise space when I'm revising. Therefore I only plan on using it to view PDFs, Word documents - basically textual content, apart from the occasional YouTube/iPlayer visits...

Question is, is it worth the premium buying an iPad 4 or am I better off saving some money and opting for the 3rd Gen?

Thanks!
    Lightning connector, access to future updates for longer, much better cameras and a newer faster processor.

I would go with the 4 unless your saving quite a bit of money (£30 probably).

Source - http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ipad-3-vs-ipad-4/

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Hm, the tech spec improvements seem pretty marginal - and I'm looking through eBay, where iPad 3's are quite a bit cheaper than the 4...as for the lightning connector, I think it'll be more of a pain in the arse - between everyone in my household we have about 8-10 old-style connectors from iDevices all over the place haha

As for the cameras and faster processor - I don't think I'd be working it very hard, it's mainly for schoolwork and revision - I'd stick to my consoles for games/home media haha

But thanks for your help! If I can find an iPad 4 that's almost as cheap as an equivalent iPad 3, I'll most probably get that - otherwise it seems like the iPad 3 does the job too

ReputationRep:
    First beware that some EBAY SELLERS CANNOT BE TRUSTED. I would get the iPad 3 because it is cheaper , nearly the same features as the iPad 4 , just as thin, Software updates until the iPad 6 comes out because when the next one (iPad 5) comes out the will no longer support the iPad and think about do you really want to be seen bringing your iPad 4 everywhere just because you can take better picture no that is just embarrassing and you will most likely get mocked by other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose1234)
    First beware that some EBAY SELLERS CANNOT BE TRUSTED. I would get the iPad 3 because it is cheaper , nearly the same features as the iPad 4 , just as thin, Software updates until the iPad 6 comes out because when the next one (iPad 5) comes out the will no longer support the iPad and think about do you really want to be seen bringing your iPad 4 everywhere just because you can take better picture no that is just embarrassing and you will most likely get mocked by other people.
    Riiight.

But I've never had issues on eBay when buying other electronics - sure I probably won't have warranty but I'm jailbreaking it anyway, like I've done with every other iOS device I've owned before. I wouldn't tar all eBay sellers with the same brush though

ReputationRep:
    Riiight.

But I've never had issues on eBay when buying other electronics - sure I probably won't have warranty but I'm jailbreaking it anyway, like I've done with every other iOS device I've owned before. I wouldn't tar all eBay sellers with the same brush though
    I only said some not all and it could happen.

ReputationRep:
    Riiight.

You'll be absolutely fine if your sensible.

ReputationRep:
    @rose Oh okay fair enough - apologies!

And I normally cross-check the reputation of sellers by digging deeper into their profiles - a reputation well into the 90% region just doesn't cut it for me. I usually look at buyer reviews, and make my judgement from there

ReputationRep:
    OP, have you considered buying an iPad Mini instead? A used one might be even cheaper than a used iPad 3 and, for what you've said that you'd like to use a iPad 3 or 4 for, I think a Mini would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    OP, have you considered buying an iPad Mini instead? A used one might be even cheaper than a used iPad 3 and, for what you've said that you'd like to use a iPad 3 or 4 for, I think a Mini would be fine.
    Well I wouldn't mind, although it'd be nice to have more real estate - but it's all dependent on cost now I suppose. If the mini comes out cheaper than an iPad 3 then I honestly wouldn't care too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't mind, although it'd be nice to have more real estate - but it's all dependent on cost now I suppose. If the mini comes out cheaper than an iPad 3 then I honestly wouldn't care too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mini is £269 new for 16gb wifi.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My iPad Mini replaced a bigger first generation iPad and it didn't take me long to get used to the smaller screen size of the Mini. Still, you could always try out a demonstration iPad Mini in a shop to see if it's comfortable for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    My iPad Mini replaced a bigger first generation iPad and it didn't take me long to get used to the smaller screen size of the Mini. Still, you could always try out a demonstration iPad Mini in a shop to see if it's comfortable for you.
    Hm for £269 it doesn't sound too bad, but I'm not too keen on the absence of the retina display, which is a lot nicer to read PDFs on...

But I'll follow your advice and see it in person at an apple store :yy:

Thanks lads!

ReputationRep:
    Hm for £269 it doesn't sound too bad, but I'm not too keen on the absence of the retina display, which is a lot nicer to read PDFs on...

But I'll follow your advice and see it in person at an apple store :yy:

Thanks lads!
    You might find that the smaller screen of an iPad Mini would make a Retina display on it largely redundant anyway. That's what I've heard in some reviews of the Mini, anyway (I don't have loads of experience of looking at Retina displays, so I can't really judge for myself).

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got an Ipad3 or 4 :lol: so I wouldn't know the difference!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.