The Student Room Group

C4 Binomial expansion - values for which expansions are valid?

My textbook goes on about finding the values for which the expansion is valid, usually mod x < 1, but I have no idea how to get it or what it means... Could anyone explain what it means and how do I find it out for a particular expansion?

For example, (1-x)^1/3

How would you know what values it is valid for?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lollage123
My textbook goes on about finding the values for which the expansion is valid, usually mod x < 1, but I have no idea how to get it or what it means... Could anyone explain what it means and how do I find it out for a particular expansion?

For example, (1-x)^1/3

Take:  (1+ax)n\ (1+ax)^n Here the axax is the "xx" for which x<1|x| < 1
So:
ax<1x<...|ax| < 1 \Rightarrow x<...? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lollage123

For example, (1-x)^1/3

The reason is that the series for (1+x)^n goes like:
1+nx+n(n1)2x2+1 + nx+\frac{n(n-1)}2x^2+…
If mod x >= 1, it's clear that this will never converge because x^2 > x, x^3 > x^2,
But if mod x < 1, it has a chance of converging because x^2 < x, etc - the terms are getting smaller. It can be shown rigorously that indeed the series converges for mod x < 1 (but that's a big kettle of fish involving analysis and the ratio test).

Quick Reply

Latest