Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very sudden complete loss of appetite. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced something similar/knew what could be causing this?

Last Thursday, for seemingly no reason, I completely lost my appetite. Didn't want food, the look and smell didn't make me want to eat it, forced myself to eat around 1/3rd of my evening meal but felt full and sick very quickly. This has never happened before, and it's worrying me a little.

Things haven't really changed since then. I've lost six pounds in five days, which is not normal at all, especially as I haven't been doing any exercise aside from walking around at work. As it's exam season, the last thing I want is to be coming down with something serious, and I was hoping that some of you might know what the cause could be (Google has been inconclusive).

Other than the appetite, no health complaints at all.

Some possible factors:

- I do have exams, but only three, and they are very well spaced apart, and I'm not feeling stressed. (I do have other disorders relating to stress which haven't emerged)

- I'm lactose intolerant (I don't see why this should be a problem or cause but thought I'd include anyway)

- On Wednesday (the day before all of this happened) I started seeing someone (again, not sure why this would be related, but it's the only thing that changed around the onset of the loss of appetite).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This could me down to some common problem's or something more serious.
    i'm not trained in anything medical but I've had a similar food issue after contracting glandular fever. my appetite has never returned fully. but i have an anxiety issue that every time i have gone to the doctor i have collapsed- not fun.
    the weight loss is quite a lot as you have not been ill
    this may sound strange but it still may be done to exams etc. as your mind might be subconscious to it without you realizing.
    i would seek medical advice if it continues for more than 10 days.
    how much are you managing to eat daily?
    hope your appetite returns to normal soon x

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes we just loose our appetites, it can be down to a great number of factors. Your obviously concerned so a quick trip to your GP wouldn't do any harm.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.