Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so basically i'm going to start applying to unis soon and i want to move far way from home for experience, freedom and Independence. my mum is very strict and i even have to lie and say i'm going to the library if i want to go to my friends house. I want to be my own person and make my own decisions and meet new people and the only i can do that is by living in uni halls. I asked my mum if i could move away for uni and her answer has ''never''. so now my only option is to apply for unis in london and i don't think i will get into the good london unis like UCL and LSE and i don't want to go to **** ones like kingston and london met because i can do much much better.

i know a lot of people will probably say ''it's your life do what you want'' but it's not that easy due to cultural values and such.

advise/opinions? thanks

ReputationRep:
    By the time you go to uni, your an adult in the eyes of the law. Your mum can't keep you at home, if you want to move away for uni. As an adult you have the right to make your own choices in life. My parents are dead set against me going to uni, but have no control over what I do. As am an adult and it's my choice. Why your mum, so against you moving away for uni? Your mum, can't control you for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that something like moving away for uni is not easy when you come from a traditional family!...but im guessing your parents want you to get any possible education rather than none...so how about you apply mostly for uni's that are all far away or even just a couple hours away (far enough for you to live away from home) that you know you will get into and perhapse even a london uni that you know you won't get into, that way you'll end up with offers only out of london, what do you think your mum would say then? do you really think she's going to stop you from going to uni all together? Okay she might get a bit mad if she realises you've done that on purpose but act like you haven't lol and that they were the only uni's you could get into for your course with your grades...that's kinda what I did!! They can't stay mad at you for ever, you might get a lecture or two but it's deffinately worth it if you want to move away! A handful of lectures in return for 3/4 independent years at uni...i'm sure you can sacrifice it if you want it enough.

Besides even if you move to say Birmingham which is not too far you could reassure her you could come back every weekend, a couple of days out of your week won't take away too much from your social life! At uni they'll be lots to do everyday not just weekends, you can still go back to see your fam easily!

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Why is she so against you moving away for uni? Is it a religious thing?

You'll be 18 and therefore an adult in the eyes of the law when it comes to going to uni, so you really don't have to listen to her. Be warned, though - when applying for student finance, chances are you'll need her to fill in forms so that you can get funding, which could pose a problem.

Try and talk about it - explain why you want to go and why you feel it's important that you move away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.