Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ordering a starter, instead of a main course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it frowned upon to order a starter or two in a restaurant instead of a main?

Looking for options to eat out while not spending so much money.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    Is it frowned upon to order a starter or two in a restaurant instead of a main?

Looking for options to eat out while not spending so much money.

xx
    I've been out with people before who ordered two starters instead of a main. I think this is done much more often these days and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I often order only a starter, as I don't like to eat large things. I think it's become acceptable restaurant etiquette in the recession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Twilight:.)
    I've been out with people before who ordered two starters instead of a main. I think this is done much more often these days and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
    (Original post by lethean girl)
    I often order only a starter, as I don't like to eat large things. I think it's become acceptable restaurant etiquette in the recession.
    Out of interest, where do you guys eat?

ReputationRep:
    if you're slightly struggling with the funds - ordering a few starters can be quite good

ReputationRep:
    I love starters as mains. Some restaurants even offer main course in starter size. It is becoming more and more common now.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I've noticed that's frowned upon (sometimes) in restaurants is ordering water.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it quite a few of my friends do it!

ReputationRep:
    I often do because I find main meal portion sizes are just too much for me : )

ReputationRep:
    I often do as I usually feel main courses are too much for me or too expensive. I don't think it should be frowned upon to order two starters either. Just shows their menu is so good that you can't possibly only order one thing (or cant make your mind up).
    Also I have a sweet tooth so having a starter means there's more room for pudding!

ReputationRep:
    I would consider doing so in Indian takeaways because they usually have a good variety of starters from kebabs to tikha chicken

ReputationRep:
    i do it in my local italian - garlic bread with cheese and the calamari. Yum

ReputationRep:
    Probably but it's your money, you decide what you do with it.

I have this weird habit with Indian restaurants and some others where I'll only order starters because I'm sick of the mains. (I'm Asian, I eat Indian everyday/every other day.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.