Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I haven't been on TSR for a long time but I have a burning need to rant and garner some opinions from all you lovely folk. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Have any of you moved back home after uni, and what was it like?

I'm living back home now whilst finishing up my masters, and it's sometimes great, but such a challenge! I was living far away, near my university, with my boyfriend whilst studying, but the combination of my studying all week, working weekends and taking care of him (buying/preparing food, cooking, washing up, all the cleaning, laundry etc) was just incredibly draining and I couldn't get up the focus to study properly! I'm kicking myself now, but hey...

Unfortunately the stress contributed to us breaking up, and now I'm at home, licking my wounds and pounding out a dissertation.

I've always worked part-time whilst studying, but I'm still in debt. I have a hefty overdraft to pay off. So my family are kindly not charging me rent. Instead, I do all the cooking and cleaning in the house. And to be honest, I'm finding myself similarly stressed as I was before! They ask for specific meals, which, okay, fine (my dad is a kind of lob it in the oven and hope for the best chef) but sometimes those take 2 hours to prepare! And buying all the stuff, and cleaning up after, and walking our dogs twice a day for a total of 2 hours, and hoovering the whole house every other day, with mopping....

does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to offer, please?! if it's ways to effectively relax, quick tasty meals, a magical dog bathing fairy, anything would be awesome! or, just tell me I'm being ridiculous. maybe I need some perspective. I'm really stuck here.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your family to manage their expectations! Tell them that they can ask for something specific cooked once or twice a week, but that other than that you will cook something that fits in with your schedule / workload.

And vacuuming every other day is ridiculous - tell them to take their shoes off at the door and it shouldn't need doing more than once a week.

I'm sure the dogs need walking, but is there a younger sibling / young neighbour who might walk them for a small sum? Subcontracting FTW!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look towards moving out - it sounds like you're a virtual slave. No rent is no rent, but what about your liberty, and independence? That's worth a lot more than any money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.