The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john51
Does anyone know the answer to the question that was like 'name the process by which plants remove salt?'

Yeah it was active transport. Loads of people looked at that and went "huh... a PLANT? Sure you don't mean salt water FISH??"
But if you read carefully, it said that the salt concentration was very high in the surrounding soil and moves into the plant by diffusion naturally, but that the plant cannot live with the salt. It must be active transport, right?
T'was my answer anyway
Original post by am16
I'm pretty sure that it wasnt increasing, the levels were going in opposite directions but i may have looked at it wrong

the cyaglucide or whatever it was called was decreasing - if you read the question the break down of that makes more cyanide. so with that cyaglucide decreasing on the graph, cyanide was actually going up.. sneaky :colone:
Original post by RHIANALESSANDRA
Yeah it was active transport. Loads of people looked at that and went "huh... a PLANT? Sure you don't mean salt water FISH??"
But if you read carefully, it said that the salt concentration was very high in the surrounding soil and moves into the plant by diffusion naturally, but that the plant cannot live with the salt. It must be active transport, right?
T'was my answer anyway

the bit about aerobic resperation confirmed that.

a) Active transport

b) 'mitochondria is the site of aerobic respiration which produces much ATP, ATP is required for active transport'
Reply 303
No one has the paper? Want to see it so badly

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 304
Original post by JackoGeddes
the cyaglucide or whatever it was called was decreasing - if you read the question the break down of that makes more cyanide. so with that cyaglucide decreasing on the graph, cyanide was actually going up.. sneaky :colone:

oft so sneaky

a) Active transport

b) 'mitochondria is the site of aerobic respiration which produces much ATP, ATP is required for active transport'

You seem to be getting every answer right! so jealous of you just now haha!

see the one about Gibberelic acid. was it 1) Gibberelic acid and made in the embryo. then the second part alerone it catalyses the reaction starch to maltose. then the advantage was that by alerone catalysing the reaction, maltose is made and thats used as a food source or something
Reply 306
when do the sqa put the papers and marking schemes online? i am sure its before august

a) Active transport

Ah yes that's right, I got that one too. A lot of my classmates were baffled as to how mitochondria had anything to do with it, but I had seen it in a Past Paper before... score! :biggrin:
Reply 308
Original post by rc16
Was light intensity a valid thing to say for the yeast variable question? I think yeast grow best in damp and dark conditions

I said light intensity
Reply 309
Original post by Hoobacious
For the isolating mechanism with the mice(?) was the answer "geographical" or "mountains"? For my answer I put "geographical: mountains" because I wasn't sure if it was asking specifically about the mountains or just in general. Do you think my answer will be okay?

the answer is geographical, you would not have got the mark for an example (mountains) but since you put geographical first they will give you it :smile:
Original post by lovechemistry
You seem to be getting every answer right! so jealous of you just now haha!

see the one about Gibberelic acid. was it 1) Gibberelic acid and made in the embryo. then the second part alerone it catalyses the reaction starch to maltose. then the advantage was that by alerone catalysing the reaction, maltose is made and thats used as a food source or something

yep GA, Embryo.

think i put 'a-amalyse breaks down starch into maltose' then something along the lines of 'the maltose is used as growth material for germination, so a-amalyse is essential to germination in barley grains' :colone:
Reply 311
yep GA, Embryo.

think i put 'a-amalyse breaks down starch into maltose' then something along the lines of 'the maltose is used as growth material for germination, so a-amalyse is essential to germination in barley grains' :colone:

I wrote that it breaks down starch to maltose, which the seedling uses for germination. Would i have to put for energy?
Oh, and what about the multi-choice question asking about what population density was?

The two options that stood out to me were "the number of a single species per unit area" and "the number of all species per unit area".

Bit of a rubbish question because the term "population density" will only ever be used in a specific context that made the answer clear. For instance you would never just say "the population density was 20/square kilometer" without referring to something!

(I put for a single species, though I maintain it totally depends on context).

i'm sure there was only one answer that had the word 'unit area' in it, the other said 'in a habitat' or something, i'm sure the answer was A as I did an old past paper with literally the exact same question and it was the unit area answer that was correct.

the other said something like the number of species in a habitat'
Original post by am16
I wrote that it breaks down starch to maltose, which the seedling uses for germination. Would i have to put for energy?

If i remember from one of the older past papers I'm pretty sure the word growth substance/ growth material had to be in there, you can't just repeat 'used for germination' if you get me
Reply 314
can someone help me out, for the e-coli (jacob-monod) question where is asked what the process or something was to produce the enzyme. What did everyone briefly write? (worth 2 marks)
Reply 315
If i remember from one of the older past papers I'm pretty sure the word growth substance/ growth material had to be in there, you can't just repeat 'used for germination' if you get me

damn! regretted tht as soon as i got out
Original post by am16
can someone help me out, for the e-coli (jacob-monod) question where is asked what the process or something was to produce the enzyme. What did everyone briefly write? (worth 2 marks)

question was a bitch, seriously never seen anything like it before..

said something like the gene was wrongly placed and split up by the blood clotting gene thus would not be coded for and not arise, will get a mark for saying its 'split up' or 'broken' or something like that, no idea how to get the other mark
Ah, that's fine then because I'm pretty sure that the one I put is correct.

I would really appreciate seeing the paper again, I can't tell if I misread the answers of if I am just misremembering them.

i'm the same, convince myself after a bit of thought the question i read wrong or i've put a silly mistake, even multi choice would be nice.

yep from my memory the first one was something like 'bla bla unit area of habitat' while none of the other ones mentioned unit area so it must have been that one
can someone please upload the multi choice like they said they would, need to see it again! can roughly remember what I had..
I was surprised that was just a 2 mark question - it's featured in essays before for either 4 or 6 marks (can't remember which, probably 4).

I just remembered "ROSE" from a study book I had (regulator, operator, structural, enzyme) and talked about how the repressor molecules cannot bind to the operator because of lactose, the inducer. Thus the operator turns the structural gene on and the structural gene produces Beta-galactosidase.

think i'll get the 2 for saying;

regulator makes repressor molecule which binds to lactose the inducer, this allows operator gene to switch ON the structual gene for producing b-galactosaide to act on lactose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending