Turn on thread page Beta

some advice please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmmmmm i was wondering :

i have 1 offer and three rejections for medicine - KCL is my only offer

i wanted to go to a better uni (ie oxbridge) - so i'm considering taking a year out

i dont want to lose my KCL offer in case i dont get any offers the next time around.

i was wondering if there was any way of like deferring my entry to kcl, but at the same time apply through ucas again next year to try to get into cambridge and the like.

any light people ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmemrpig)

i wanted to go to a better uni (ie oxbridge) - so i'm considering taking a year out

i dont want to lose my KCL offer in case i dont get any offers the next time around.

i was wondering if there was any way of like deferring my entry to kcl, but at the same time apply through ucas again next year to try to get into cambridge and the like.

any light people ?
    hmm.. I don't know. But I think KCL is good enough. Why waste another year?

I don't know, but I think you should really weigh the pros and cons.

ReputationRep:

any light people ?
    Take KCL mate....it's a much better uni than you seem to give it credit for....plus....competition for places next year is gonna be really intense!! Not that i doubt you'll get in next year...but it's gonna be harder than this year.

You'll still have a great time at KCL...and you won't regret it!!!

G

ReputationRep:

any light people ?

isnt kcl like one of the top 5 unis for medicine

ReputationRep:

any light people ?
    It's pretty rare for most people to get more than one or two offers for medicine as the competition is so intense. KCL is (from what i've heard from my prospeective med friends) a really good medical school and is hard to get into.

Besides, I'm sure you'll have no problems getting a job after a med degree.

ReputationRep:

any light people ?
    If you think you'll regret going to KCL then perhaps you should. However KCL is a credible University, not on par with Oxbridge obviously but well respected and rated quite highly in most departments.

ReputationRep:
    Ya, I would agree with all of them above.

Think about it, what if you don't manage to get into the university you want next year? Are you still going to try the next year, and the next year.... and the next ..... (touchwood)?

Even if you are going to KCL next year, you will have waste a year, so there's really no point.

If you are really interested in the other universities so much, why not try to attain a fantastic result for the first year in KCL and try to attempt a switch to another university of your liking (for that i mean 2nd year of that university)?

Seriously, no point taking a year out.

ReputationRep:
    ANy one recomment a re-mark of a business study paper i got 81/120 in unit-3 but i think i done much better then this?
    AQA board

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take a year out unless there was something I REALLY wanted to do in that year.. coz' remember, in the case that you don't get into Oxbridge the 2nd time round, you may regret the year out...

I think KCL is a very reputable uni, and perhaps you should give it some thought before you make the decision.

ReputationRep:

any light people ?

so many of my friends want to go to KCL, its really gd for medicine, u should take it. i've also heard that it doesn't really matter where u go for medicine anyway. a few of my straight A friends have been rejected by all 4 places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    so many of my friends want to go to KCL, its really gd for medicine, u should take it. i've also heard that it doesn't really matter where u go for medicine anyway. a few of my straight A friends have been rejected by all 4 places.
    I've chosen KCL as my firm over a university that featured quite highly in the subjects table as it's in a good location & it's very likeable overall. As most people have mentioned it does have a good reputation for both medicine and law. Good luck in whatever you decide but don't do something you'll regret! x

you would be stupid to take a year out and are lucky that kcl have even given you an offer.

don't be a fool. with medicine it's really not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    With a medical degree it doesn't really matter about the reputation/quality of the university in terms on employment or quality of the degree. All medical degrees have to be of a set standard, teaching you the desired information and clinical skills etc. as set by the medical council (I think, - that or some other medical body), and the demand for doctors is so great you won't have a problem getting a job afterwards. Whether you'd be happy going to KCL (location etc) should be your main consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Just to answer your question, you cannot defer your place and reapply in the year out. UCAS won't let you.

ReputationRep:
    thanks people !!!

i have decided to accept KCL as my firm - all your replies are greatly appreciated - ta very much !!!

the accomodation form is a ***** to fill out though !!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.