Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

i dont know what to do?! i only have a day to decide about the uni watch

ReputationRep:
    i have been offered two unis which im concidering and i thought the deadline was in two weeks i found out it was last week but i have a day now left to conferm my firm and second choice

i called them up and picked one but im really not sure if thats the one i want i havent been sure for ages which is why im still thinking about it , my whole family were shouting at me to pick one and some being quite nasty about it (my family are just like that) they all pressured me into picking one at the west london univerity - a film production course , but i dont know if thats the best course for me?

i have also been offered a course at manchester met for the course of acting/tv studies/film studies which is in the crewe campus
    i want to make films and i want to be an actress
    my family want me to go to london cos they think i get more money if i go there :rolleyes: and that i wont have to pay tuition fees but im sure thats not the case - and my mum says i will have to work with actors at the london one like thats the same as actually being one! how can i work with actors and not be bitter about it if i miss my chance at acting becuase of this so many people say u need degrees in acting to be an actor as its hard to get agents/auditoons with out one ,but if i make my own films then could i cast myself in them? would that be helpful towards my career ? would i be able to cast myself in films and uni productions and if i do will that help me get noticed by other directors and then they would cast me?

y familt keep going on about it being close to ealing studios they assume s it down the road that means i will be getting jobs with them when the uni have said and to my mum on the open day that they dont work with ealing but she thinks they will just invite me along to work on the new star trek movie as there filming there) if i ask them nicely!
    london is mainly practical work making films and they have a high employablity rate , along with london bein a good city to live i n for oppoutunites , however i dont like the campus as much and i want to be an actress ,

the one at mmu is in a smaller town but it has acting , they also have alot of coursework and tests which i really struggle with all through GCSEs and A-level i have been behind in work and my GCSEs didnt reflect my true abitlity and im still not sure wether i will pass my a-levels although its likely (im an optomist) its also really worring (im a bit of a procrastinor)

help:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernme_)
    Pick the course you like best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Pick the course you like best
    but id dont know what that is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernme_)
    but id dont know what that is?
    really

from your op it seems that you want the one with acting

ReputationRep:
    Every October/November TSR is full of posts that read something like 'I'm sooooo miserable at uni' and usually its because they either didnt think out why they were going to Uni, it didnt dawn on them it wasnt school, they didnt actually read the course description - or they went to please their parents.

If you dont want to go to Uni then dont go. Go and do something else instead or apply when you are sure what you want to do - and why you are doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Every October/November TSR is full of posts that read something like 'I'm sooooo miserable at uni' and usually its because they either didnt think out why they were going to Uni, it didnt dawn on them it wasnt school, they didnt actually read the course description - or they went to please their parents.

If you dont want to go to Uni then dont go. Go and do something else instead or apply when you are sure what you want to do - and why you are doing it.
    i do want to go to uni
    and i want to get a career acting and making films

ReputationRep:
    Then dont go to Uni. To be taken seriously as a performer within the professional theatre/film industry you need to go to Drama School.

ReputationRep:
    If it were me I'd try and decide what you want to do, Acting OR Film Production. Neither are easy industries, but if you go for the one that you really want to do for the rest of your life, you shouldn't go far wrong.

Don't go somewhere because your family says so!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.