Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thread for what Books you've read and your review/recommendation.
    This thread will help GCSE students who want to improve their vocabulary and their skills in formulating ideas when it come to writing.

Please post, it will be appreciated.

Books I have read:
    • Harry Potter 7.
    • Hunger Games
    • The Hobbit
    • Divergent
    • 1984 George Orwell (currently reading)

ReputationRep:
    I've recently read (since christmas):

Emma by Jane Austen
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (currently)

I have to say my favourite by far has been warm bodies, a gripping story and really well written. Great Expectations and Emma were what I expected: old fashioned but nice stories. The Great Gatsby is very well written and uses beautiful language, however, to me it seemed to lack substance as a story. The fault in our stars was the poorest I have to say (sorry john green fans!) not because it was badly written, it just seemed very similar to other books I've read like My sister's keeper and before I die

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, where do I begin? I can't remember every single book I've read (too many to count! ) but these some of the ones I've read since December (I got the majority of them for Christmas via WHSmith vouchers ):

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    All (I think and bar Over the Moon) of the Jodi Picoult books (she's brilliant!)
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (not my usual type of book, but was a good read all the same)
    The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
    Black Boxes by Caroline Smailes (insanely profound)
    Mercy by Jussi Adler-Olsen

I can't pick my favourite book out of all of these, but I'd definitely recommend reading Nineteen Minutes (or any JP book, for that matter) by Jodi Picoult if you fancy some (primarily) modern fiction :yep:

Currently reading 1984 by George Orwell as well! (Although I'll probably finish it after exam season :emo:)

I don't think this is exhaustive. But I'm planning on reading a lot more over the summer holidays - some classics, philosophy-based pieces and some Dan Brown m'thinks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I've recently read (since christmas):

Emma by Jane Austen
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (currently)

I have to say my favourite by far has been warm bodies, a gripping story and really well written. Great Expectations and Emma were what I expected: old fashioned but nice stories. The Great Gatsby is very well written and uses beautiful language, however, to me it seemed to lack substance as a story. The fault in our stars was the poorest I have to say (sorry john green fans!) not because it was badly written, it just seemed very similar to other books I've read like My sister's keeper and before I die

I read them both last year! I totally didn't cry at both of the endings. Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    Oh god, where do I begin? I can't remember every single book I've read (too many to count! ) but these some of the ones I've read since December (I got the majority of them for Christmas via WHSmith vouchers ):

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    All (I think and bar Over the Moon) of the Jodi Picoult books (she's brilliant!)
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (not my usual type of book, but was a good read all the same)
    The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
    Black Boxes by Caroline Smailes (insanely profound)
    Mercy by Jussi Adler-Olsen

I can't pick my favourite book out of all of these, but I'd definitely recommend reading Nineteen Minutes (or any JP book, for that matter) by Jodi Picoult if you fancy some (primarily) modern fiction :yep:

Currently reading 1984 by George Orwell as well! (Although I'll probably finish it after exam season :emo:)

I don't think this is exhaustive. But I'm planning on reading a lot more over the summer holidays - some classics, philosophy-based pieces and some Dan Brown m'thinks!
    Highly recommend Dan Brown books, Angels and Demons is my favorite. Also do you have any ideas of good philosophy based books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Almost_Amber)
    Highly recommend Dan Brown books, Angels and Demons is my favorite. Also do you have any ideas of good philosophy based books?
    His books look awesome. I remember watching The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons a few months ago and when I found out they were both books I let out an audible yelp, haha.

I've had this link saved in my favourites for a while for my future eBay/Waterstones hunting: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ophical-novels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    His books look awesome. I remember watching The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons a few months ago and when I found out they were both books I let out an audible yelp, haha.

I've had this link saved in my favourites for a while for my future eBay/Waterstones hunting: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ophical-novels

I was unable to find The Da Vinci Code so I haven't read it yet, however I have also not given in to watching the film already, so I have that to look forward to for the summer!

Also thank you for the link, I will have a look!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your age or personal likings it may be different but I'm currently reading 'A Game Of Thrones' and its really good. (And its not at all as inappropriate as the programme apparently.) I agree that the 'Da Vinci Code' is an amazing book but I prefer 'A Game Of Thrones.' It is however, quite long but I reckon you guys can handle it.
    Umm what else, for girls maybe the teen/fan fiction such as 'Twilight' and so on but I personally despise the vampirey type books so the 'Fallen' series would be good for girls like myself. For guys and girls I hear that the 'Darren Shan' books are good.
    To boost your grades or books that will improve your reading or writing skills, I think that any book you enjoy can do that. All books can help your skills but you just have to enjoy it to actually gain the skills from it.
    If anyone needs any more help just let me know what types of books you enjoy and I will give you some recommendations,. And lastly, try using 'goodreads' as its a great website that gives you book recommendations too

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2579442

Could any of you help with my thread...it's about Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Thanking You In Advance :'O!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (Northern lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) series is absolutely brilliant and extremely thought provoking.

Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking (The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and The Answer, Monsters of Men) is also outstanding and in my view is a kind of modern rejuvenation of Pullman's HDM.

ReputationRep:
    Don't read an awful lot but anything by JK Rowling is brilliant. The Cuckoo's Calling is particular good.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    The Kite Runner
    The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
    Treasure Island
    Starter For Ten

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.