The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Anyone else sitting this exam? I'm doing Experience of Warfare: Crimean War, Second Boer War and WWI.

Share exam tips, sources, questions, resources etc.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The course is split into 4 parts, right...

So I'm planning on only revising the Crimean War, the Boer War and the Western Front of WW1.. I'm not bothering with the Home Front as I don't find it interesting and they can only ask 2 questions. Therefore by revising these topics, at least two of them will come up because they've never asked 2 questions on the same topic before...

Anyone agree with me?
I'm doing Crown, Parliament and Authority in England 1588-1629. What I find gets me decent marks is commenting on the dates the sources are written and comparing how attitudes have changed within those time periods. I also make a habit to use at least 2 sources for each point I make to get into the higher levels for cross-referencing.
Reply 3
Original post by JCB1996
The course is split into 4 parts, right...

So I'm planning on only revising the Crimean War, the Boer War and the Western Front of WW1.. I'm not bothering with the Home Front as I don't find it interesting and they can only ask 2 questions. Therefore by revising these topics, at least two of them will come up because they've never asked 2 questions on the same topic before...

Anyone agree with me?

For Unit 1, I did this with American Indians, Hispanics and Feminism (which was 1/4) of Equality in the USA for the same reasons as you state here.

However, I'm going to do Home Front for Unit 2 because if Home Front does come up in part A questions, you don't have a choice. Plus if it comes up on Part B where you do, that means you get no choice and will have to do the other option - which you might not be confident about.

There is also, in my opinion, less dates, facts etc. with Unit 2 as half of it is own knowledge, and the other based on sources, in comparison with Unit 1 where it was pure own knowledge.

It means less work yes, but I'm not taking that risk.
Reply 4
Original post by Sharif Chowdhury
I'm doing Crown, Parliament and Authority in England 1588-1629. What I find gets me decent marks is commenting on the dates the sources are written and comparing how attitudes have changed within those time periods. I also make a habit to use at least 2 sources for each point I make to get into the higher levels for cross-referencing.

I tend to relate sources to question, cross reference, then at the end of my paragraph talk about the provenance of at least 1 source. Then repeat, so that I talk about each source's provenance at least once throughout the whole essay.
Reply 5
I am doing Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India 1900-47. I wanted to ask in general how people are structuring the 40 mark essay?
Reply 6
Original post by Joe2Jonas
I am doing Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India 1900-47. I wanted to ask in general how people are structuring the 40 mark essay?

Introduction
1. 2-3 sentences
2. Answer the question
3. State which sources agree/disagree with the question

Main
1. 2-5 paragraphs
2. Try to balance paragraphs in agree/disagree
3. At start and end of each paragraph, state line of argument by linking back to the question
4. cross-reference concisely and relevantly
5. Don't talk about provenance
6. Use own knowledge consistently to back up points/extend points or reason why that particular source gives that argument/perception. Make own knowledge precise and specific (numerical statistics and facts are good for this (ie. mortality rates, specific dates) as they stick out to the examiner and is a clear indication that you are using own knowledge).

Conclusion
1. State overall agreement/disagreement and extent.
2. Mention which sources back this conclusion and which challenge (and how).
3. Wrap it up nicely

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Faust
Introduction
1. 2-3 sentences
2. Answer the question
3. State which sources agree/disagree with the question

Main
1. 2-5 paragraphs
2. Try to balance paragraphs in agree/disagree
3. At start and end of each paragraph, state line of argument by linking back to the question
4. cross-reference concisely and relevantly
5. Don't talk about provenance
6. Use own knowledge consistently to back up points/extend points or reason why that particular source gives that argument/perception. Make own knowledge precise and specific (numerical statistics and facts are good for this (ie. mortality rates, specific dates) as they stick out to the examiner and is a clear indication that you are using own knowledge).

Conclusion
1. State overall agreement/disagreement and extent.
2. Mention which sources back this conclusion and which challenge (and how).
3. Wrap it up nicely

Awwh thank you so much you are way better than my History teacher :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Awwh thank you so much you are way better than my History teacher :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: My History teacher's a bit pants as well.
Reply 9
For those doing WW1, there are some fantastic videos from Khan Academy. Have a look here: https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/history/euro-hist
Reply 10
Is anyone else sitting the Edexcel AS unit two Britain and Ireland, 1867-1922 exam? On the 22nd May?
if so do you have any predictions on whats going to come up, or things I should focus my revision on the most?
Reply 11
For Unit 1, I did this with American Indians, Hispanics and Feminism (which was 1/4) of Equality in the USA for the same reasons as you state here.

However, I'm going to do Home Front for Unit 2 because if Home Front does come up in part A questions, you don't have a choice. Plus if it comes up on Part B where you do, that means you get no choice and will have to do the other option - which you might not be confident about.

There is also, in my opinion, less dates, facts etc. with Unit 2 as half of it is own knowledge, and the other based on sources, in comparison with Unit 1 where it was pure own knowledge.

It means less work yes, but I'm not taking that risk.

Yes, but you don't need any own knowledge for the part a questions!! You don not get any marks for having own knowledge..
Reply 12
im doing Crown, authority, religion
did anyone do edexcel option F on tuesday??
Reply 13
I'm doing the Crimea, boer and first world war. I don't know how much detail I should know foe each topic because only half of the 40 marker is own knowledge.
Reply 14
Original post by JCB1996
Yes, but you don't need any own knowledge for the part a questions!! You don not get any marks for having own knowledge..

You do for part B though. Plus you still need to have knowledge about the thing the sources are based on to contextualise them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
You do for part B though. Plus you still need to have knowledge about the thing the sources are based on to contextualise them.

Yeah, I know you do! That's why I'm taking the approach on not revising the Home front. You don't need the own knowledge in part a, I keep getting 19/20 and 20/20 and I don't use my own knowledge.
Reply 16
Found out I'm one of only 35 in the country doing FPT (Further Pure with Technology) module. Exam board OCR MEI additional further maths. Anyone else doing this module?
Reply 17
Original post by JCB1996
Yeah, I know you do! That's why I'm taking the approach on not revising the Home front. You don't need the own knowledge in part a, I keep getting 19/20 and 20/20 and I don't use my own knowledge.

Well, as long as you are prepared to take the risk. I'm about as risky as bicycle stabilisers so I'll be doing it just in case.
I think it will be so much easier than Unit 1, due to not having to remember so much. However it is also important to consider exam techniques, especially with the sources. Good luck everyone!!
Reply 19
Original post by possolg
Found out I'm one of only 35 in the country doing FPT (Further Pure with Technology) module. Exam board OCR MEI additional further maths. Anyone else doing this module?

Wrong thread, my friend.
Original post by daisybewick2804
I think it will be so much easier than Unit 1, due to not having to remember so much. However it is also important to consider exam techniques, especially with the sources. Good luck everyone!!

Yes, hopefully as long as you remember key facts to slot in to Part B and perfect exam techniques for both Part A and B it should be a smooth ride... famous last words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending