Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering who is higher up in the family, Mr Birling as he is the head of the family, or Gerald seeing as Mr Birling sucks up to him.

ReputationRep:
    ummmmm tricky one i did for the exam last year in a sense I would Gerald since hes came from a posh family and Mr Birling tries to sympahise Shelia to carry on marrying him even though he cheated on her. So I believe Gerald has more power. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Priestley wanted to portray these characters in a 'power' heirachy- as much as you are looking in to it.He made Mr Birling powerful but was more focused in using him as a vehicle to portray these capitalist pretenses exhibited by the upper class capitalists pre-world war 2.Gerald was less stubborn and was in the middle between the younger generation and older so i would say ultimately Mr B was more powerful although i doubt you should be talking about power in An inspector calls.Focus more on social responsibility because Priestley preaching about that not power. Cmon DANYAL!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.