Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does this really happen! If so does it clear up of its own accord or need some treatment?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it affects both men and women, though more often women, and is treated using an anti-fungal cream, usually Canisten cream, which is applied to the affected area. There is a small amount of the fungus present in everyone naturally, but it can flare up through sexual contact with someone who has it, or through anything else that affects the immune system such as depression, a commmon cold/flu, or a change in diet.
    It will clear up of its own accord, but its uncomfortable so most will opt for a form of treatment to stop the irritation.

ReputationRep:
    Think I have some symptoms and gf has thrush. Never had it before despite the fact that she has had it several times. Canister literature doesn't mention men..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, If you're 'uncut', you may notice things like more smegma. Other symptoms include itchiness and perhaps a yeasty smell.

If she has it, and you don't get any treatment, you're quite likely to end up reinfecting each other.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, men get it, but fairly rarely. You should both get treated - and abstain from sex while the treatment works - or you'll just reinfect each other.

Not sure what to recommend as a treatment though. When I had thrush I just went to Boots and asked for an over the counter thrush pill. (No creams or anything - I was asymptomatic and wouldn't have known if I hadn't been getting a regular sexual health check up.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Does this really happen! If so does it clear up of its own accord or need some treatment?
    Yes - men can get it - i speak from experiance and its not pleasant.

Its rarer in males but it does happen.

Go to your GP if you think you have it - do NOT buy over the counter thrush cream for women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Yes - men can get it - i speak from experiance and its not pleasant.

Its rarer in males but it does happen.

Go to your GP if you think you have it - do NOT buy over the counter thrush cream for women
    Why not?, pharmacist recommended Canesten. Mind you the packet doesn't say anything about penises. Seems to be doing the trick. Don't really want to get my knob out at doctors unless I have to..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Why not?, pharmacist recommended Canesten. Mind you the packet doesn't say anything about penises. Seems to be doing the trick. Don't really want to get my knob out at doctors unless I have to..
    Some of the treatments can cause a nasty reaction in men (and in women as well) - but if the pharmicist has said so then ok.

Keep up the treatment and avoid using things like scented shower gels as they can cause further irritation.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever your girlfriend gets it, go get some medication aswell.

The first time i caught thrush it was after a week or two of having a bath with tons of bubble bath almost every night which changed the ph balance etc etc, i kept recatching it most likely because my bf was carrying it but hadnt any symptoms.

Now im with a new partner, i havent had it since (and ive never used bubble bath or anything in my baths since that first attack of thrush.)

ReputationRep:
    I think men can only get thrush from having sex with a woman who has it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JagSan)
    I think men can only get thrush from having sex with a woman who has it.
    We all have the fungus that causes thrush living on our bodies, it's usually at a level that means it doesn't show any clinical signs of thrush. If we do something to upset the balance, such as a course of antibiotics, using a soap down below that upsets the natural balance, being immunosupressed and so on then it can grow out of control and cause the signs of infection. This is regardless as to whether you're male or female. You can get thrush rash in other parts of your body as well as your genitals, moist folds of skin or orally are quite common places to see it. It can also be caused by having sex with someone showing clinical signs of a thrush infection, but it is not a sexually transmitted infection like other diseases like HPV, herpes and so on.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/thrush-...roduction.aspx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.