The Student Room Group

Confused :s

Hi!:smile: I'm still doing my GCSE's at the minute and I have a few ideas of what A levels I want to do but none of them involve english maths or science, is that bad? I don't like maths and I hate science so that only leaves English but it doesn't really interest me, is it not good if i don't take a core subjects? I really like history so I want to take this and new subjects like sociology and health and social care interest me but I'm not sure on my 4th choice, any advice? :-) thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Fearless97
Hi!:smile: I'm still doing my GCSE's at the minute and I have a few ideas of what A levels I want to do but none of them involve english maths or science, is that bad? I don't like maths and I hate science so that only leaves English but it doesn't really interest me, is it not good if i don't take a core subjects? I really like history so I want to take this and new subjects like sociology and health and social care interest me but I'm not sure on my 4th choice, any advice? :-) thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

None of my A Levels really involve too much english maths or science either! There are lists of respected A Level subjects that I think you can find on the Russell Group website, and while English Lit, Maths, the sciences etc. are there, there are also plenty of different subjects such as History, RS, Economics, Politics, Geography etc.

History is definitely a good one to take! I do it at AS and personally find it really enjoyable. I do Sociology too, which I also enjoy :smile: I'm not so sure of how 'respected' health and social care would be, but as long as you take it in combination with other more traditional subjects then I can't see it being a problem.

As for a 4th choice, I'd have a look around TSR's A Level Subject Guides. A general aim would be to take at least two 'traditional' subjects.

Hope this has helped somewhat. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :redface:
What you have to remember is that in college there are no such things as 'core' subjects. I take 3 sciences, but I'm good friends with people who take art, and BTECS.

Another thing to take note of is that, that a large percentage of employers who have a preference, prefer science-based A-Levels because they are 'harder' ( by which I mean they require you to think in a completely different way to how you usually would, so you develop other skills too ).

Similarly, college lessons are VERY different to school. I hated maths in school - but LOVED it in college. It's a completely different atmosphere and that can make all the difference. The teachers treat you like equals not inferiors. If the only reason you don't like Maths or Science is because of a teacher - you might find it changes in college.

History is a good A-Level to do, and some colleges offer things like archaeology to go with it (Geogrpahy is good too ). The thing you have to be careful of when picking 'new' subjects is that they may not cover what you think they will. Almost every AS student in my college picks Psycology - there are 3 or 4 lesson blocks packed to the rafters to meet the demand. But by A2, they have realized it's not for them and most of them drop out. Health and social care, as far as I am aware, is a BTEC and if that is the case you will only be able to take one other A-Level alongside it. BTECS are easier, because they do not tend to have exams, and you can often re-so the coursework - but there IS a LOT of coursework, and they can sometimes be seen as worth less than traditional A-Levels.

Don't forget - you can usually pick up to 5 AS-Levels, and if you don't like them within the first half term, you can usually swap to another subject, or drop out entirely.

I found when picking my A-Levels,I looked at university courses I wanted to do and worked backwards. I wanted to be a vet, so I knew I had to take Biology, Chemistry and at least one other ( preferably science ) subject, so I took Physics, Maths and Animal Care. I dropped out of maths at AS because I didn't have time for it, and because I found Physics more useful anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by Fearless97

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion?

Spoiler

But in all honesty, plenty of people don't do Science A-levels, and in truth it most likely won't damage your future career, certainly you don't want to take A-Levels you won't enjoy.
Reply 4
isn't sociology considered a vaguely science-y subject? or is that psychology....? but anyway, I'm doing bio chem maths and geog, so all science stuff, which is good but only if it's what you're interested in. Do you have any idea what you want to do as a career yet? otherwise just choose subjects you are interested in and love, because you have to have some kind of motivation, whether it is because that subject is going to lead you somewhere where you want to go (in my case, I have to take chem as I want to be a doctor, but if I didn't, I might not have done chemistry for a-level!), or if you are passionate about the subject and want to do more. If you want to do well, you will, if you're not bothered, you won't do as well, because there is no point in you doing that subject :smile:
Basic mathematical and english skills at least are important in most subjects. I use maths in music, and english in others. History and sociology would both use it. However I'm not sure what the question is- are you asking if you should half-heart it for GCSE? Because if so, then regard what I just said. If you're asking for your fourth option, then don't take a subject you don't want to do because it's just a waste of time. You may find out subjects you wanted to do turn out badly anyway.
EDIT: Oh and your choice might depend on future universities. I was shown this http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 which tells you which courses are considered useful by the top universities (well Cambridge, but I'm sure others have similar requirements depending on course)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for all your help!! :biggrin: I'm looking at doing a primary education, early years degree (specifically to work with children aged 3-7) based in this would you advise any good A levels to help? I have looked on a few nicer with websites at this degree but they only say how many UCAS points needed not specific A level subjects??:smile: thanks again, everyone is really helpful on here! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest