Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2 months ago we started our application for a 4 person house we found on Manchester Student Homes. Since one of us dropped out last minute, we asked the estate agency if we could go forward with the tenancy and add a 4th person at a later date. The response was that that would be perfectly fine providing any rent due before we add this person is paid by the three of us. She even said the landlord was happy with the situation. In the same email, we were asked to pay an agency fee (£60 each - so £180) which we did.

Since then we got switched to a different agent in the same agency and are about to pay the deposit so that they will set up an appointment to sign the contract. Yesterday I emailed him a question regarding a possible 4th tenant and was told that if we wanted to add someone new:

- They'd have to destroy the paperwork they've drawn up so far
    - We'd have to pay the agency fee again, (£240)

I sent them a stern email asking why on earth we're only hearing about this now, and his reply was along the lines of "dunno why she didn't tell you about that, but tough ****". Is there anything we can do? I've read all the relevant emails sent between us and they have definitely mislead us. My dad said I should complain to the Office of Fair Trading, but I'm not sure if that will do any good. This prospective housemate is only at the stage of wanting to visit the house too, so don't want to kick up a fuss and then not get a 4th person anyway.

I have no problem with paying an extra £60, but I'm fuming that we weren't told all this 2 months ago, since we were clear from the very beginning that we wanted to add a 4th person.

ReputationRep:
    I work for a letting agency currently so thought I may be able to offer some advice on the situation. The fee that you pay to agencies normally pays for your references, 'reserves' the property and pays towards the tenancy agreement being drawn up. Did you have to have any references done? They shouldn't need to reference you again but they will need to reference the 4th person so you should really only have to pay £60 and maybe a little extra to cover new tenancy agreements being drawn up. If they are asking you to pay the full amount again they should be able to provide you with a breakdown of the costs of what the £240 will be paying for!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by char_rl)
    I work for a letting agency currently so thought I may be able to offer some advice on the situation. The fee that you pay to agencies normally pays for your references, 'reserves' the property and pays towards the tenancy agreement being drawn up. Did you have to have any references done? They shouldn't need to reference you again but they will need to reference the 4th person so you should really only have to pay £60 and maybe a little extra to cover new tenancy agreements being drawn up. If they are asking you to pay the full amount again they should be able to provide you with a breakdown of the costs of what the £240 will be paying for!
    Good luck!
    Thanks so much for your reply. We did have references done and everything has been dealt with regarding our guarantors (the 3 of us, anyway). Is that what the majority of the orginal £180 paid for then?

Yeah, I think it's perfectly reasonable to pay the extra £60, it's the extra £180 they want to us to pay that I have a serious problem with. Their justification is that it apparently takes so much time to reverse what they've already done regarding the tenancy agreement etc.

I think I'll phone/email them tomorrow and point out what you've said - that they don't need to re-do our references etc - and ask for a breakdown of what everything will be paying for. If that doesn't get me anywhere I'll ask to speak to a manager.

ReputationRep:
    Homes4u by any chance? Scum of the earth in my experience.

Go and talk to Manchester Student Homes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Homes4u by any chance? Scum of the earth in my experience.

Go and talk to Manchester Student Homes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, UPS.

And thanks, will do if they continue to be unreasonable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.