Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would it bother you if your boyfriend/girlfriend got covered in tattoos? watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend says he wants to get his whole back, most of his chest and some of his arms covered in tattoos. I'm not feeling too happy about this.

I know, I know. Tattoos are an art form, a form of expression, beautiful. Whatever people want to call them. They don't bother me when I see them on other people, but the idea of my boyfriend's body disappearing under a sea of inky patterns isn't very appealing.

I love him for who he is and what he looks like without tattoos, why does he have to decorate and change himself? :/

How would you feel if your partner did this?

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend has two fairly small tattoos. I find it sexy. If she wanted bigger ones I wouldn't mind that either. But if she wanted to be covered... I'd prefer her not to as I like her bare, natural looking skin but I'd respect that's what she'd want and not stand in her way.

Does he definitely want it allll over?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you should compromise instead of telling him to not get tattoos tell him to size down. And just send him a few horror stories of people with full body tattoos and a few who tried to get their removed... Just so when it comes down to the final decision, he is fully aware of what is going to happen to him!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from! My boyfriend has a small tattoo on the top of his arm and he's thinking of getting another but I wouldn't exactly be overjoyed if he decided to get them all over his body.

I'd just talk to him about it. It sounds cliché, but just explain that you love his body and how he looks without him being covered in all that ink.

ReputationRep:
    Suggest to him to start smaller, like one arm first rather than planning to have loads. I like tattoos! You can still see the body! Though I do see that the amount he's saying is quite a big change :P

ReputationRep:
    I think tattoos suit some people better than others. If he's a hench as **** Samoan for example then it'd look great, if he's a small, fair skinned guy then he'll look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Well neither my partner or I like tattoos at all. If I got one, he would consider it acceptable grounds to break up.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has two full sleeves and one on his foot. One of them was done badly and he is in the middle of spending a ton of money fixing it. So far it's cost 800 pound to cover and it's not even half done. he needs to make sure it's a style that will not look daft in the future. Also that amount of tattooing takes a lot of time, commitment and especially money. It sounds like he wants about the area of £1500 of work done.

I have 5 tattoos myself, but wouldn't get anything in a super visible place until I'm in a secure career in which they won't pose a problem. I'm tattooed on my back, stomach, thigh and ribs. This doesn't pose a problem for has he will never be in a sector where tattoos would be a problem. He is a night manager of a recycling firm.

It depends on how old he is, what he wants to do, how sure he is, what style etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I'm partial to a man with tattoos... Strange considering I haven't got a single tattoo myself lol

ReputationRep:
    For me personally

If I saw a girl covered in tattoos I most likely wouldnt go for her nothing personal but I dont find it attractive, a few tattoos here and there is ok. When a person is looking for a partner they look at the physical attributes first i.e tall, short, pretty, cute etc. then they get to know the person.

If I had a girlfriend and she got tattoos all over her body she would not still be the same girl that I initially went for because the honest truth is that if I saw her tattoo covered version of herself I wouldnt have gone for her! lol

One could argue that its the person inside that counts so I dunno to be honest! Its your call!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AB25)
    My boyfriend says he wants to get his whole back, most of his chest and some of his arms covered in tattoos. I'm not feeling too happy about this.

I know, I know. Tattoos are an art form, a form of expression, beautiful. Whatever people want to call them. They don't bother me when I see them on other people, but the idea of my boyfriend's body disappearing under a sea of inky patterns isn't very appealing.

I love him for who he is and what he looks like without tattoos, why does he have to decorate and change himself? :/

How would you feel if your partner did this?
    because - simply put its his body and his choice.

Anyway - i honestly cant answer that question as i dont know. I have tattoos and my ex had a large black raven tattooed on her side (hip to her breasts) which i found very sexy but all over i honestly dont know. though i imagine tracing them with my tongue could be fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    I think tattoos suit some people better than others. If he's a hench as **** Samoan for example then it'd look great, if he's a small, fair skinned guy then he'll look like an idiot.
    This made me laugh, cos he's actually very skinny and not very tall :L its like he's trying to be the big man with all the tattoos but they totally wouldn't suit him!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has a fair few a big one on his tummy script all down his side one on his arm and another on his back, he's wanting get 2 sleeves done although personally I think its quite alot and hhe may regret it in the future I have no problem with it I find his tattoos pretty attractive anyway and just because his torso is covered in ink doesnt change who he is . Maybe if he got a tattoo on his face I wouldnt be happy but what regardless of what he looks like he's still my boy and its his body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    My girlfriend has two fairly small tattoos. I find it sexy. If she wanted bigger ones I wouldn't mind that either. But if she wanted to be covered... I'd prefer her not to as I like her bare, natural looking skin but I'd respect that's what she'd want and not stand in her way.

Does he definitely want it allll over?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he wants his 'whole back covered' and 'some on his chest' and he said 'i also like the arm sleeve tattoos!' I dont want to wake up to an inky, patterned back or chest, i want to wake up to his normal skin colour. It'll feel like it isn't him any more, in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind. My dad might, but it's not up to my dad.

ReputationRep:
    While I am totally for freedom of choice and believe people should be able to have tattoos, personally I find them ugly, therefore would be happy for friends and strangers to get them but not the man I want to spend the rest of my life with (in bed naked!) I told my bf if he got a small tattoo I would just be able to accept it but it would be a deal breaker if he were to be covered as I simply would not find him as attractive any more. This sounds shallow I agree but it would also impact how I view him psychologically too. I don't think I explained this very well...

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to buy tattoo sleeves

ReputationRep:
    It looks ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    You can certainly tell him you don't find them attractive and such, but to come right out and say "Nah you're not allowed" is not on.

If he wants to get them, he'll get them - his body, his choices.

I like tattoos and have 8 myself (and even in a dress like this http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/cl.../invt/azz59701 my boyfriends friends barely seen any), and would not have a problem. My boyfriend has a full half sleeve and wants to add more onto it, which I would find even more attractive. I also want more (once I get to my goal weight/body) and he doesn't mind.

Different strokes for different folks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would be in a relationship with someone who had a secret love for tattoos

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.