Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does all this preliminary stuff matter anyway? i saw a mark scheme and there were 2 marks for making references to books, websites etc, and you could get one of these marks by metioning preliminary work. just put 2 or 3 good references in and it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    we're doing a completely different coursework!!! growth rates of yeast cells in different temperatures!! fun!!! is anyone else doing that one??? with spearmans rank as the stats test??
    what exam boards that?

ReputationRep:
    its OCR for everyone isnt it? i dont see how i can use t test and chi square into this experiment , we only need to see ABA affecting growth and germination. we do this by calculating % germination for gerimination and dry mass for growth. why t test ? t test is to compare 2 sets of results and see if they have same pattern, how does that apply? chi square is to see how results are far off from probability and see if its by chance, what results do we use to compare with???

ReputationRep:
    Heya I've read some of the posts on the Bio Prac coursework. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong):

- ABA is polar
    Will the water dissolve the ABA? Even though there is a long carbon chain?
    Or, does propanone dissolve the ABA due to Van De Waals? And will propanone/water dissolve any other components in the tomato juice/pulp and will this affect germination at all?
    Which solvent is ABA more soluble in?

And finally, what effect does ABA dissolving have on germination and do you know how this happens?

Thanx for any help, it is much appreciated. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think we actually have to do a T-Test or a chi squared test, cos this is just the planning u have to do. i think u just have 2 mention in the plan that u will be doing one of these tests. holly x

ReputationRep:
    i know we dont have to use that for the experiment, but i just wana make sure it is actually a right test to use- no point mentioning in planning if it is not the right one. i dont see how it applys to result, as i mentioned in the last threat.

SO there still isnt a firm conclusion wether ABA is soluble in polar (water ) or non polar (propanone) solvent.......... web site mentioned it is soluble in ethanol, but is ehtanol polar or non-polar. Everyone has different ideas, and anyone got the ANSWER?

ReputationRep:
    Why dont u just research that out ureself, its not that hard 2 find, check on the internet or ask ure teacher, instead of depending on ppl here to answer it 4 u, its ure damn cw after all!

ReputationRep:
    heya there,

It doesn't actually say anywhere on the net if ABA is or isn't soluble but I've drawn my own conclusions on that - just check out ABAs structure and then apply a bit of common sense and you should be able to figure it.

Holly - your right about just mentioning the stats tests, i looked up the mark schemes n they give you marks for just saying how you would analyse and suggesting stats tests.

If anyone's stuck on t tests type it in on google and search through the websites, that's what i had to do!

And also if anyone's interested i've done the experiment myself at home and i suggest you do the same if your struggling!!

Hope that helps - x

ReputationRep:
    ethanol is an alcohol - ethanol has nothing to do with the experiment just so you know, if you look up the general properties of alcohols you'll see whether or not alcohols are soluble in water. And therefore whether it is polar or not. The same principle applies to the experiment -

Peace out - lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some practise planning coz my legendary college still haven't released our coursework for us (how nice of them). its the rather kool topic of seed germination and reserve food utilisation, i've done most of it except....... how long does it take for a seed to germinate before it starts photosynthesising? just so i have a brief idea in my head and dont make this plan too outrageous.
    cheers
    much love bucky xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    heya there,

To all the people who haven't had the coursework, I think it's a problem with OCR and not your colleges because the same thing has happened to us.

But anyway, I have no idea how long a seed will germinate before it starts photosynthesising, and I don't really see the relevance of it to the plan. So long as you take measurements (ie. of growth/dry mass) at set intervals you should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    just want to say sorry to everyone, i know ive been asking too many questions and have annoyed people coz i keep asking about propanone. SORRY

also please feel free to add more info you have got, as much as you want

ReputationRep:
    I've just read all the posts and I'd like to say thanks coz sum of what u put has been quite helpful! I dnt no if ne1 is still confused about why using ethanol but I did one in my preliminary using that to dilute the tomato juice down to see if the inhibitor is water soluble.
    For my measurements i was doing percentage germination and then going to work out the average growth in mm. But i couldn't decide: once iv added up all the lengths of roots in the sample, do i divide it by the number of seeds that have shoots or the total number of seeds altogether???
    When writing up the investigation where do u include the different scientific ideas??in the introduction??and when/where/why do u have to include references?? can u just put them in a bibliography at the end?or do u need to quote??
    Thnx

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me with my biology planning, as I'm stuck!
    I just wanna know whether u use water or the propanone to extract the ABA. I've looked everywhere to find the answer, but one website says water and the other says propanone. it's sooooooooooooo confusing. any help would b appreciated! thanx

ReputationRep:
    Bah this coursework is bent! Not to mention confusing! The internet has not been helpful AT ALL, but iv'e read all the posts in this thread and want to say thank you all for your posts and advice because it has been much help
    I'm doing the write up tomorrow and i've just kept mine as simple as possible! I have one question though :confused: ...Can anyone tell me if cress seeds are cotyledonous or endospermous?
    Chill out guys xx

ReputationRep:
    err i think endospermic but id definitely check that!

anyone have a good link for a x section of said seed type?

a very clever friend of mine (!) is going for propanone - apparently her preliminaries only worked for propanone. im going for water. so long as you quote the right website in your bibliography...!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. There's absolutly nowhere online that says whether it's endospermous or what! Talk about 'the net has everything' lol
    Sorry I don't have any good links for x sectional area of a seed. I'm just using one in my biology books.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a certain amount of water that's needed. Just sufficient enough for imbibition (uptake of water) which initiates/starts germination!

ReputationRep:
    Wooo...i did my final plan write up today and its finally done and out of the way! Geez it feels like a huge weight been lifted off my shoulders. If anyone else still needs help or wants to know what i did in mine ill gladly try help you out
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'd be glad if u cud give me any tips how to write up the investigation. Do you know if the inhibitor is in the tomato juice or the jelly thats around the seeds?? how did you extract the jelly if its that!? I put a post on before but don't know if any one has read it!
    Thanks v much!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.