Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey again all. I done some pelimary tests today (well a couple). Today I just wanted to prepare the tomato extracts so they are ready to be added to petri dish's with seeds. Wanted to put on here what i have done so far.

1) Mushed up a few tomatoes with a blender (the whole entire tomato),
    2) Made the correct dilutes to the tomato extracts, 75%, 50%, 25% (only with distilled water atm).

That’s it... I found that after mixing the extract with the water, after shaking and left for a couple of minutes the tomato and water would separate. What I’m wondering is if that has sufficiently extracted the ABA into the water, or is still left in the pulp that’s sitting above the water? Tomorrow i might do a couple more pelimary tests with dilutions of propanol (the nail varnish remover stuff). I know from reading on here that pure it will kill the seeds but if the ABA isn't in the watery part of the extract then I know I will need to try this out.

p.s. I found using a blender is not only more fun than a pestle and mortar but it chops up the skin for you too.

ReputationRep:
    I have two questions:
    1. Is the inhibitor soluable in polar or non polar substances?
    2. I think Im comparing dry masses, how should the results be analysed? Is there a statistical test such a chi-squared I could use? :confused:
    Im a little bit confused an need help.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my prelim now and i am using dry mass - has anyone else done this

i think u have to mix the filtered tomato juice with water and dilute to different conc. and use the pulp with propanone and dilute these to different conc

ReputationRep:
    yep im gonna do dry mass, i havent written it up yet need sum research on inhibitors, but u no its accurate and its not as fiddly as measuring root growth.

ReputationRep:
    hey has anyone done about how they would present their data such as chi-square etc and why they've chosen to use such presentation?
    thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    undefined
    (Original post by euphoria57)
    hey has anyone done about how they would present their data such as chi-square etc and why they've chosen to use such presentation?
    thanks xx
    i dont think you need any actual data from your prelim work just note wot u found n wot u r gonna expect in ur actual exp
    hope thats some help

ReputationRep:
    I think OCR deliberatly chose this topic because there is not much info on the the internet, they want to see how you think, not how well you use google

Just plan an experiment with sufficient prelims and methods of analysis etc and you should be ok. I dont think you should be expected to know all about ABAs solubility, thats what the perlim is for, try tomato with water as well as with propanone and see if if makes a difference with seeds. with mine less seeds germinated with tomato/propanone than tomato/water, but that may be because propanone screws over seeds anyway... then you can deduce weather the inhibitor is polar or non polar.

can anyone tell me why they have put "fresh and/or dried tomatoes" on the sheet?

what use would dried tomatoes be?

ReputationRep:
    With dried tomato the inhibitor will be more concentrated as it is not diluted by the water in the tomato.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. i was also wondering why they give us that choice. My chem teacher told me it was polar because of some polar groups on the structure of ABA. he said that its not that soluble in water, but very soluble in ethanol, and not in propanone. propanone is useless because it affects the seeds anyway! although my cress seeds grew with the extract made with propanone!. i think iv got an idea now of what im doing, its just i cant think of how to start writing up the prac and stuff? any ideas anyone? anything would be appreciated. x

ReputationRep:
    my seeds germinated as well in propanone/tomato juice. start by writing about what u want to find out and then a hypothesis, then u can go into all ur variables/method etc.

has anyone got any sites that have results of propanone/tomato juice germination or any other results to do with this experiment? thx for all help

ReputationRep:
    my seeds germinated as well in propanone/tomato juice. start by writing about what u want to find out and then a hypothesis, then u can go into all ur variables/method etc.

has anyone got any sites that have results of propanone/tomato juice germination or any other results to do with this experiment? thx for all help

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im quite stuck on this plan. If someone knows their stuff can they please answer the following questions , as this forum is really long, and i cant read everything on here. Thanks.

1) How do we extract ABA from the tomatoes?
    2) What is the purpose of the two different solvents?
    3) I was told we have to use both solvents in the procedure, but what's the point? we arent comparing the two solvents on germination are we?
    If yes, *goto qu5*
    If no, *goto qu4*
    4) Are we basically stating which solvent ud use in the final procedure because the prelim work determined that solvent was the best for germination? *goto qu6*
    5) Surely, that depicts the point of the investigation?
    6) Which solvent is the best for germination of cress seeds?
    7) What is your method in brief summarised form?
    8) Thanks alot, are you a good looking female?
    If yes, *goto qu9*
    If no, *goto qu10*
    9) What is your phone number? lol only joking, Thanks alot for your help
    10) Where are you planning to go for uni? Thanks alot for your help

ReputationRep:
    They did? thats good to hear! So did they not grow in the one with extracts made with water? Do you have to mention about any other inhibitors other than ABA? Do you mention anything about gibberrelins being involved in germination? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ~Revol~
    Ok, the two different solvents are to see which of them the germination inhibitor dissolves in. In my prelim i found out that the inhibitor was water soluble and so the cress seeds didnt grow too good when the extract was made using water. You can look at this investigation from many angles really. What im doing, is looking at the different concentrations of tomato:water on the cress seeds. Also, there are many different methods of making your extract (this is what prelim work is for- to test different possibilities). Ypu can blend the whole tomato (or different parts) using food blender, pessel and mortar etc. Add a measured volume of distilled water (to make different concentrations). Now you can either seive, centrifuge, use a separating funnel or whatever to separate the mush from the liquid. Put some on filter paper in a petri dish, add cress seeds and water. Just make sure that everything you do is justified, eg, are you using fresh or dried tomatoes?why? well thats basically what im doing, i dunno if its completely right, but i hope it just gives you an idea. dunno if iv answered all your questions, sorry if i havent. Oh by the way im going liverpool Uni!!!!!

uh, are you actually planning to do any of this coursework yourself?

(Original post by ~Revol~)
    Hi, Im quite stuck on this plan. If someone knows their stuff can they please answer the following questions , as this forum is really long, and i cant read everything on here. Thanks.

1) How do we extract ABA from the tomatoes?
    2) What is the purpose of the two different solvents?
    3) I was told we have to use both solvents in the procedure, but what's the point? we arent comparing the two solvents on germination are we?
    If yes, *goto qu5*
    If no, *goto qu4*
    4) Are we basically stating which solvent ud use in the final procedure because the prelim work determined that solvent was the best for germination? *goto qu6*
    5) Surely, that depicts the point of the investigation?
    6) Which solvent is the best for germination of cress seeds?
    7) What is your method in brief summarised form?
    8) Thanks alot, are you a good looking female?
    If yes, *goto qu9*
    If no, *goto qu10*
    9) What is your phone number? lol only joking, Thanks alot for your help
    10) Where are you planning to go for uni? Thanks alot for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    uh, are you actually planning to do any of this coursework yourself?
    we are all here to help each other out, and you yourself have been consistently asking questions previously on this thread, so please be nice :mad:! Ive given alot of damn help for the chemistry planning exercise btw , and I was introduced to this biology plan quite late, so I just wanna have a insight of whats going on.

I guarantee (providing I gather enough information), once I see my teacher next Tuesday, I'll post what I've done/used etc.

(Original post by ~Revol~)
    we are all here to help each other out, and you yourself have been consistently asking questions previously on this thread, so please be nice :mad:! Ive given alot of damn help for the chemistry planning exercise btw , and I was introduced to this biology plan quite late, so I just wanna have a insight of whats going on.

I guarantee (providing I gather enough information), once I see my teacher next Tuesday, I'll post what I've done/used etc.
    1. Yes, but I haven't just posted a huge string of questions asking everyone to basically send you the entire contents of their coursework/

2. I am never nice.

3. who cares what you have done about chemistry?!

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Crana please just stop this pointless argument.

Anyway, in reply to your post:

1) There is no difference between posting a list of questions and constantly asking questions wasting time and lagging posts. hmm lets see, listing and writing in paragraphs perhaps.....

2) I dont really give a **** if you're nice or not, chances are, you are some ugly minger with nothing better in life to do than annoy other people

3) I care and those people who I've helped cares

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest a statistical test I can use if I am varying concentrations? (i do not think chi-squared or the t-test are sutable) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone do me a scan of the question? its in for tomorrow, and my sheet is at college

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.